Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by xmaster19
Cool build, can't wait to see vids of this thing

On another note, I'd stay away from the stock RA CMC, use one from a base Lancer or an Evo (read somewhere they were the same) as the RA unit has a bad habit of leaking when used with aftermarket clutches. Although it didn't affect everyone (Crans, it's your cue, lol), it seems to be a recurring problem.

Last thing, this thread needs more pics!
thanks for the advice - actually i was just over at the garage today and we were talking about the CMC and we decided we're going to just use the one that came with the car because it's a real pain in the *** mounting the thing and I have no use for 2/4 brakes (OZ's have drums on rear tires). if i run into any leaking problems I'll go and buy a new EVO CMC.

i'll take a few videos once it's done and tomorrow I can probably take more pictures (i should have today but I forgot). we've made quite a bit of progress since the first set of pics

Originally Posted by 03lances
Thanks man its been alot of testing and tuning to get it to that but its well worth it . I can beat my buddy with his RB25DET swap in his 240 and another buddy with his Evo X english Tuned I could beat him from a roll on the highway. That is before he swapped over to all ETS hardpiping and 4" ETS FMIC and had english retune. I think he's got me now lol.
that's nutty. i've had my OZ for a while now, at least 2 years (before this swap) and I can't even imagine driving it with an extra 100 or so horsepower lol and 240+ torque?? who knew the 4G94 had the potential

Tein coilovers ROCK!! Tein suspension components in general are great, high quality and functionally superior to alot of others out there in my opinion. Before the coilovers I had Tein S-Tech lowering springs which were great too. My car had 18's on it when I bought it. I hated them personally, mainly because of the style they were butt ugly but also for my plans 18's were just not gonna work. I cant recall if the 18's rubbed I got rid of them the first chance I had. My 17's rub a little bit but thats mainly due to the offset of them and I have to be at full lock going backwards at an angle for it to rub. I actually want to drop down to 16's soon so I can drop the car a little bit more for better cornering at autox.
ok I'm sold on Tein - have already heard nothing but good things and your own experience only adds to the positive feedback. 18's might look a bit goofy, yah; I was planning on 17's - I know as a general rule for lancers, you need lots of wheel spokes or they look bad on the car. i was thinking Volk CE28N but we will see, they are very expensive. if not those, it will probably be work emotion cr kai or OZ Ultraleggera (they are nice and light and great price right now on tirerack.com: http://bit.ly/YgwyWX)

Last edited by doncarbone; Mar 27, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you get a chance check out my build thread. It's 120 pages lmao but its chock full of good info and I try to add more as I find out new stuff.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

If you get a chance check out my build thread. It's 120 pages lmao but its chock full of good info and I try to add more as I find out new stuff.
will do man, i've already spent quite a bit reading through some of the thread.

i sent you a PM regarding motor mounts but i might as well pitch this question here too in case anyone else has similar concerns.

I read elsewhere on the forums that you had filled your own with urethene and they are similar to the ones RRM sells. i purchased the RRM motor mounts but I'm a little worried they will cause excessive vibration/cabin noise. i've yet to try them and I'm probably a few weeks away from that point (at best). does anyone know what I can expect? will listening to music and talking with passengers become a real pain in the ***? are they that stiff?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 04:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doncarbone
thanks for the advice - actually i was just over at the garage today and we were talking about the CMC and we decided we're going to just use the one that came with the car because it's a real pain in the *** mounting the thing and I have no use for 2/4 brakes (OZ's have drums on rear tires). if i run into any leaking problems I'll go and buy a new EVO CMC.
I'm pretty sure your car didn't come with one if your car was automatic, as it is called a Clutch Master Cylinder and is attached to the clutch pedal. It's only link to the brakes is it shares the same overflow reservoir. Maybe you were thinking about the brake master cylinder?

Here they are, side by side. The evo one is on the left, RA one on the right. The RA unit is much more complicated for some reason and mine leaked, as you can see clearly on the pic. If you can trade it or sell it, I'd recommend it strongly.

Name:  IMG_20120529_093654_zps9381047b.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  59.8 KB

Last edited by xmaster19; Mar 28, 2013 at 04:27 AM. Reason: added pic
Old Mar 28, 2013, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

I'm pretty sure your car didn't come with one if your car was automatic, as it is called a Clutch Master Cylinder and is attached to the clutch pedal. It's only link to the brakes is it shares the same overflow reservoir. Maybe you were thinking about the brake master cylinder?

Here they are, side by side. The evo one is on the left, RA one on the right. The RA unit is much more complicated for some reason and mine leaked, as you can see clearly on the pic. If you can trade it or sell it, I'd recommend it strongly.

Ok thanks man; I'll source the EVO CMC; is there a difference between the 2006 MR/SE/RS evo CMCs? - mitsubishiparts.net is showing them as being the same price but I can't see if the part numbers are different. I'm sure they are the same; the differences negligible..

Last edited by doncarbone; Mar 28, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Could not help you with thiw one, maybe ask the evo guys?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Could not help you with thiw one, maybe ask the evo guys?
I'll just take my chances and go with the MR; might as well go big or go home lol. Being in Canada is a bit of a pain as parts always take so long to ship here, so it's best I just jump on it; I've had to do that with nearly everything and so far everything's fit lol
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

The Rs uses the same tranny as us except for a few gearing changes. I'd go with that one.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

The Rs uses the same tranny as us except for a few gearing changes. I'd go with that one.
ok, thank you; good thing i caught this I was in the middle of checking out haha
Old Mar 31, 2013, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

ordered a few new parts this evening:

- RRM lower tie bar
- OEM bushings (all)
- RalliSpec front strut bar

The correct flywheel I've been waiting on from Clutchmasters finally arrives tomorrow; should have plenty of new pics coming up once we get that installed (motor/tranny will be put in the same day!)
Old Mar 31, 2013, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Here it is. Wanna see that thing fired up
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by djikonatx
Here it is. Wanna see that thing fired up
Soon man, maybe even this week !

^ Big thanks to this guy for getting me a bunch of the parts I needed for this swap.
- full shifter assembly, shifter cables
- engine wiring harness
- clutch pedal assembly, cmc
- bmc
- passenger axleshaft assy
- various mounting backets
- throttle pedal assy / position sensor

so if my car doesn't work i know who to blame haha jk
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by doncarbone
I was thinking of putting on the EVO VII conversion kit by accolade, i think ratsbud is right though, the EVO body is quite a bit wider so you'd need to some fairly extensive body work to make it fit seamlessly - i could be wrong though, has anyone else successfully done this??

I do plan to turbo in the future, I'll be talking to Cranswick on that
the evo body is wider , it got coverd on the nz evo forum
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pinups
the evo body is wider , it got coverd on the nz evo forum
ya i figured it was; thanks for the clarification. i'm going to go with the EVO VII conversion kit by accolade: http://body-kit.com/lan02e7ts.html
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
nice looks good

Quick Reply: doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap