Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
EVO 5spd transmission and 2004 RS transfer case built by T.R.E. finally arrived. Pictures in my AWD swap thread
Old Jan 18, 2016, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey doncarbone i know its been awhile since youve done this swap, but i have a couple questions before i attempt to do it myself.
1) would it be possible to swap the ecu and harness without removing the entire dash, or is the time spent on that worth it?
2) Ive searched around but have not found a dedinitive answer, do you think that my oz exhaust woult bolt up to the ralliart cat or no?
Everything else appears pretty straight forward to me, any other potential snags i should be concerned with?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Foxman92
Hey doncarbone i know its been awhile since youve done this swap, but i have a couple questions before i attempt to do it myself.
1) would it be possible to swap the ecu and harness without removing the entire dash, or is the time spent on that worth it?
2) Ive searched around but have not found a dedinitive answer, do you think that my oz exhaust woult bolt up to the ralliart cat or no?
Everything else appears pretty straight forward to me, any other potential snags i should be concerned with?
Yes you don't need to remove the dash, the harness feeds through the firewall behind the glove box, you only have to remove that.

It probably would bolt up but I don't know for sure either. I just scrapped my exhaust front to back and ran the RRM headers & downpipe, then a Magnaflow catback. I didn't have a cat.

The only real challenge we ran into was needing the intermediary shaft between the two front axles, as well as the passenger roll-stop mount that is of a different bolt-hole orientation to that of the 4G94.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 04:39 PM

Awesome, thats what I was hoping. The only snag should be the exhaust which im wanting to redo when i can get lift time. As for the mount and shaft I should be good as I have the entire car for the most part.
Thanks for the help man.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 04:57 PM

Seeing as this thread has been such a big help to me, I am going to add my findings for anyone else considering this.

1) the stock oz exhaust will bolt up to the ralliart downpipe and cat... however there will be no bung for the rear o2 sensor as its ralliart location is downstream of the cat.
Solution: weld an o2 bung in the oz exhaust (sensor wire needs to be ran through the passenger floorboard)

2) the only section of the harness that wasnt plug and play was the front turn signal lights.
Solution: simply cut and solder the correct plug to the harness

3) the passenger fan shroud doesnt clear my a/c compressor and is quite close to the exhaust
Temp solution: im going to trim the shroud to clear
Correct solution: I need to figure out if the ralliart fan is slimmer than the oz fan or run a slimmer aftermarket fan

Currently I am about 3 hrs of work away from being able to drive the car and have about 3 days into the swap. This includes stripping both cars down, changing the timing belt, and waiting for parts. For anyone in a similer situation I would budget 4-5 days for the swap for one person.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:12 AM

Many thanks for this detailed write up

I would like to swap a 4g69 into my Thai spec m/t cs3a that currently has a 4g18 engine.

Could you let me know the gearbox code for the FWD manual transmission gearbox compatible with the 4g69 engine you were using please.

Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jay1980
Many thanks for this detailed write up

I would like to swap a 4g69 into my Thai spec m/t cs3a that currently has a 4g18 engine.

Could you let me know the gearbox code for the FWD manual transmission gearbox compatible with the 4g69 engine you were using please.

Thanks
The FWD 4G69 Ralliart/Lancer (chassis code CS7A) uses a F5M42-2 transmission -- which is the same code used on other chassis' and they might be different so you'll want to make sure you're getting the correct one from the 2.4L Lancer (years 04-06).

The AWD Outlander 4G69 transmission is the W5M42
The following 2 users liked this post by doncarbone:
jay1980 (Aug 14, 2016), Resurrected RA (Aug 14, 2016)
Old Aug 26, 2016, 01:36 PM

interesting
Old Jul 10, 2017, 03:52 AM

FWD VS AWD tank question

I have a FWD automatic 2006 outlander that just gave me en engine light...I traced it down to it being a rusty and holy fuel tank. I'm having a really tough time finding a used or aftermarket tank for the FWD, not even online. I can find a ron of the AWD tanks everywhere however. Here's my question. I know that the AWD has an extra sensor hole (pretty sure thats what it is). With respect to the shape and size both tanks look the same although I've never compared them in person. If I were to "plug" the extra hole on the AWD, do u think it would be compatible with my fuel pump etc...? Im not even sure what it looks like inside.

Really appreciated btw.

tom

QUOTE=doncarbone;11095223]to expand a bit on item #1 regarding fuel:

I've looked at separate diagrams and there are certainly a few differences between the fuel system of the OZ Rally, the Ralliart and the AWD Outlander:
  1. Ralliart: return-less type system
  2. OZ Rally: return fuel system but otherwise identical to Ralliart
  3. Outlander AWD: Also a return-less system. Presence of a fuel gauge unit which tells the fuel pump to deliver fuel from opposite side of the tank. There is an additional sensor for this (believed to be MR556025), in conjunction with the entire unit itself that sits opposite the fuel pump on the other side of the tank: MN139857

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-hbutsuo.jpg

Now this could cause some big problems for some obvious reasons:
  • Not sure how the 4G69 Ralliart ECU that's in the car now is going to handle delivering fuel from 'the dark side' by the fuel pump when the gauge unit requires it to.
  • I don't believe the harness in the vehicle now can account for the presence of that gauge unit (05145B in the 3rd picture)
  • There's no guarantee that the gauge cluster/instrument panel in my car now (which is actually from an EVO VIII) will read the fuel capacity correctly

Anyone know how we might attack this particular problem? I'm going to do some digging and see what I can find.

EDIT, to add: My future goal is to perform the DOHC EVO 9 head swap which would require the EVO 9 engine harness and ECM. I'm wondering if perhaps it'd make more sense to utilize the AWD tank in the Outlander now, but otherwise use all EVO 9 fuel components.... The 'return' line is still present in my car from when it was an OZ Rally..so we might be able to make use of that for the EVO setup...[/QUOTE]
fwd
Old May 5, 2018, 08:48 AM

Evo Vll Kit

Originally Posted by doncarbone
ya i figured it was; thanks for the clarification. i'm going to go with the EVO VII conversion kit by accolade: http://body-kit.com/lan02e7ts.html
Anyone have a rough estimate on the normal price of this kit. I'm interested in it for mine but the website confuses the crap outta me haha... Any info would be greatly appreciated.