Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap

Old Apr 1, 2013, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks promising. your committment will pay out when it is all finished. do the evo 7 look but keep it silver. my buddy has an older ralliart turbo and he keeps up with a stock evo 8 on the highway. get that swap completed and throw some boost in there.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by misterevo8
looks promising. your committment will pay out when it is all finished. do the evo 7 look but keep it silver. my buddy has an older ralliart turbo and he keeps up with a stock evo 8 on the highway. get that swap completed and throw some boost in there.
will turbo at some point; that's the next step, but probably won't happen for a while. want to do an engine rebuild; forged pistons, rods, camshaft, ported/polished head stage etc... will be beast, but an expensive undertaking.

i don't think im going to keep it silver...not that i don't like it, but when i throw a body kit on the car obviously the kit will be unpainted; and in an attempt to save money (and still achieve a sick look for the car), I was thinking of going with a full 3M 1080 matte black body wrap; no need, therefore, to spend money on painting the kit and detailing the OEM parts

example: thoughts?

Old Apr 2, 2013, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

progress rear anti-sway bar ordered today!
Old Apr 3, 2013, 04:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doncarbone
will turbo at some point; that's the next step, but probably won't happen for a while. want to do an engine rebuild; forged pistons, rods, camshaft, ported/polished head stage etc... will be beast, but an expensive undertaking.

i don't think im going to keep it silver...not that i don't like it, but when i throw a body kit on the car obviously the kit will be unpainted; and in an attempt to save money (and still achieve a sick look for the car), I was thinking of going with a full 3M 1080 matte black body wrap; no need, therefore, to spend money on painting the kit and detailing the OEM parts

Not a big fan of flat colors, always have been a fan of glossy ones :P

To each his own!
Old Apr 3, 2013, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I love that... But personally Ive been set on a flat white wrap or satin white paint job. My car is a pearl white now but for some reason I love the gloss-less look of a flat white.

Example::
(also following the GTR theme :P)

Old Apr 3, 2013, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bakuro117
I love that... But personally Ive been set on a flat white wrap or satin white paint job. My car is a pearl white now but for some reason I love the gloss-less look of a flat white.
matte white looks really nice too; i will put more thought into the aesthetics of the car once it's running and reasonably quick.

Pretty big update this evening on sourcing parts:

purchased my wheels and tires; I was going to go with the Volk TE37V's at 17x7.5 (45mm offset, 6mm inset) with the fancy 4x114.3 bolt config; but after talking to three dealers it looks like at the minimum I could have expected a 4-5 month wait time!! not going to bother; i'd have them on my car 1 or 2 months before it'd snow lol

anyway; i still wanted lightweight and after further thought decided a 16" wheel might deal better if i lower the car quite a bit. finally decided with 16" Enkei RPF1's on Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports.

i'm sure everyone and their grandma has heard of these but here's a pic:

Name:  6Y5DNqZ.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  30.1 KB

tonight i also ordered the Tein Basic Coilovers, front camber/alignment kit and the Wilwood Big Brake kit (red calipers).

flywheel still hasn't arrived...it should tomorrow though; at which point I'll get a bunch more pictures of the install on here

Last edited by doncarbone; Apr 3, 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

SPAL 12" high performance radiator fans ordered today.

flywheel arrived from CM; it fits so the motor and tranny will be in the car by the weekend - many pics to come soon
Old Apr 6, 2013, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

tranny and motor connected. looks like the upper right hand motor mount from the 4G94 won't fit; have checked with lordco (local outfit) to see if they can source one quick from their local warehouse.

ran into a minor snag too with the P/S return hose from reservoir not fitting; as well as the high pressure hose for P/S.

not sure if any ralliart guys could help confirm this; but does the high pressure outlet from the P/S pump face the firewall?? we are using the 4G94 P/S pump that's where we're running into a few of these problems with hoses not fitting, but i think the pump is ok, it's just we need the diff hoses.

pics:

Motor dropped in with tranny. All mounts fit except passenger upper mount:

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-muyyetih.jpg

tranny finally bolted up after the new flywheel arrived from clutchmasters (they sent me the wrong one by mistake before which was meant for a 2008 Lancer GTS:

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-ajntzz5h.jpg

pic of the shifter assembly in place; bolted perfectly to where the auto gear changer used to be; will definitely replace the shift knob at some point lol

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-xj6nlpah.jpg

EVO VIII steering wheel

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-f3vpjxoh.jpg

neither the radiator or the headers are bolted in place yet; was trying to identify how much room we have for radiator fans; looks like we're good; might do one 12" for overheating and a 10" for the A/C

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-kyt1lvfh.jpg

another pic showing clearance

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-fy261ekh.jpg

clutch pedal in place; was a huge job cutting a hole through the firewall to get that thing to mount perfectly. brake pedal obviously will be changed lol to the 5spd

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-csohqhfh.jpg

was a bit hard to snap a pic, but this is where we had to cut through the firewall to bolt the clutch pedal assembly

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-qwjqxixh.jpg

P/S pump; need to know if the Ralliart pump faces the firewall like this one does

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-3g53ozeh.jpg

return hose from reservoir will need to be sourced as the 4G94 one isn't even close to fitting correctly

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-cfyckzoh.jpg

4G94 upper right motor mount; bolt orientation needs to be opposite where the middle bolt is on the right and the two top/bot bolts need to be left

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-1aaf3r4h.jpg
Old Apr 6, 2013, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Looking to source that side motor mount...on this diagram looks like part #6 is the right one; "side mount bracket":

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-xbwqwjj.gif

tho does anyone know if there's another part needed alongside the bracket?

you can see from the 4G94 side mount that its basically the same deal just the bolt holes are the opposite config

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-gclwxwe.jpg

Last edited by doncarbone; Apr 6, 2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking to source that side motor mount...on this diagram looks like part #6 is the right one; "side mount bracket":

tho does anyone know if there's another part needed alongside the bracket?

you can see from the 4G94 side mount that its basically the same deal just the bolt holes are the opposite config

If I am understanding your question: The part you have there bolts to the chassis. There is another part that bolts to the engine in between the timing components with 3 studs sticking out that youre mount there fits over.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
If I am understanding your question: The part you have there bolts to the chassis. There is another part that bolts to the engine in between the timing components with 3 studs sticking out that youre mount there fits over.
ya the 3 bolts that stick out vertically from the motor are what this bracket i need to get must attach to, then with 3 nuts that secure it in place. on the other side it bolts to the chassis (and yes, overtop serpentine), although from the white diagram i am not sure if I need item #6 and something else, or if #6 is what connects to both the chassis/motor

you can see here the 3 bolt holes on the bracket that will fit the 4G69 (#6)

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-kjbdxre.jpg

the picture i took is of my old side motor mount from the 4G94 that does not fit (u can see the bolt config is the opposite of the white diagram)

Last edited by doncarbone; Apr 6, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

few parts have arrived from the states (i live in Canada, so items take a while to ship to me).

most of what i've ordered is at the shop; i'll try to get a few pics soon as well as progress on the build.

tonight rear anti-sway bar (from progress) and the brake pedal for my build (used) arrived:

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-yqkbdnz.jpg
Old Apr 13, 2013, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

used parts sourced, installed this weekend:

passenger side upper motor mount
5spd brake pedal
brake pedal switch (for taillights)
p/s high pressure hose
p/s return hose from reservoir

i've updated my first post with a list of interior parts and have separated my aftermarket listings by category

should i keep the prices i paid on there?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
used parts sourced, installed this weekend:

passenger side upper motor mount
5spd brake pedal
brake pedal switch (for taillights)
p/s high pressure hose
p/s return hose from reservoir

i've updated my first post with a list of interior parts and have separated my aftermarket listings by category

should i keep the prices i paid on there?
So this was basically bolt-on from the beginning, or did you have to fab anything??

What mounts are you using?? Plan on getting a Blox roller stopper?

Also keep moving forward, summer is on it's way and you'll absolutely love the sound of the intake past 5500 rpms...

If I were you, I couldn't sleep at night, good job!
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xmaster19
So this was basically bolt-on from the beginning, or did you have to fab anything??

What mounts are you using?? Plan on getting a Blox roller stopper?
mounts - RRM
blox roller stopper not sure, i heard it adds a ton of noise??

fairly extensive custom work done to bolt the clutch pedal assembly in place through the firewall; has to be an exact/flush fit or-else it won't work. is difficult to cut that hole through thick steel (seems the steel there is doubled up too for some reason from the rest of the firewall lol). was particularly difficult as the space was limited to do this. i can't say how things would have went if my OZ rally was the manual 5spd version; might have bolted right up.

- the one motor mount, passenger side top (bolt orientation is opposite to - that of the oz rally u need the 4G69 top mount, otherwise it bolts up)
- p/s high pressure hose is totally different as is return hose, but they will fit the oz rally p/s pump and will reach the reservoir too

all the 4G69 parts i listed in my first post u will need but they will fit without problems once u can get ur hands on them.

only custom job was getting that clutch pedal in but that's just because i was doing an auto to manual conversion

Originally Posted by xmaster19
Also keep moving forward, summer is on it's way and you'll absolutely love the sound of the intake past 5500 rpms...

If I were you, I couldn't sleep at night, good job!
i can't wait man. this project is all i think about these days it has turned into an obsession i think.

Last edited by doncarbone; Jan 2, 2014 at 12:15 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap