Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just put brand new Tein Basics in my car in December, pulled out Tein S Tech lowering springs. These coilovers are awesome I do alot of autocross and these with the progress rear sway make for a deadly combination on the course
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Started the car this evening for the first time. Started right up, was pretty awesome. Video recorded is the second run after we let it cool down (radiator isnt hooked up yet).

VIDEO:

Pictures:

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-qt2lrgeh.jpg

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-xkr2lp6h.jpg
strut bar not bolted in yet

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-nsn7qpgh.jpg
exhaust bolted up no problems despite it being for the 4G69/ralliart

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-7919la2h.jpg
even lined up straight and doesn't stick out much!

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-hfdz2ryh.jpg
able to utilize the stock radiator fan module (controls one fan for overheating, one fan for A/C)

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-xom77cch.jpg
tie bar arrived along with strut bar

FEW REMAINING ITEMS NEEDED:

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-t25xepyh.jpg
some sort of cover is needed for the flywheel

then the passenger side axleshaft doesn't fit with the whole odd intermediary shaft setup
doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-pfkz60zh.jpg
doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-w4cl6hhh.jpg

not sure the issue there, looks like i need another piece to the intermediary shaft maybe because the passenger one has the identical end as what's sticking out the intermediary

Last edited by doncarbone; Apr 25, 2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

sourced the correct axleshaft, that's now in, as is the cover for the bottom of the flywheel.

interior all put back together today: dash, new shift boot, center console, new pedal overlays, both seats back, panels clicked into place etc...interior needs a good clean

waiting on a small 7.5" fan sourced from SPAL for A/C on rad. will get the car on the road once that comes (Monday or Tuesday).

items that still need to be installed but are not vital to getting the vehicle on the road:

- tein coilovers
- oem suspension bushings / top hats
- rear sway bar, strut tower bar, lower tie bar
- wilwood bbk / flexlines

looking for HIDs still (6000K) - was told a company "Onex" sells a kit for my car - anyone ever installed their kit for their lancer?

also going to source a weld-on cat, car is too loud and where i live i'll get ticketed no doubt. of course later on i do plan to throw some boost in there which will reduce some of that noise
Old Apr 28, 2013, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
I just put brand new Tein Basics in my car in December, pulled out Tein S Tech lowering springs. These coilovers are awesome I do alot of autocross and these with the progress rear sway make for a deadly combination on the course
i can't wait to drive on them. they certainly do look very well made (tein basics)

Last edited by doncarbone; Apr 28, 2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

bump

Last edited by doncarbone; Jan 2, 2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't run it without coolant. You can collapse a piston pretty Quick. Sounds good. I am sure it will be a huge improvement from stock. Isnt it 50 hp more stock?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Looks like its coming together nicely! I cant watch the video at work... >_> I'll have to take a peek later at home or something. Are you leaving the drum brakes in the back or are you going to switch to disk brakes?

EDIT: That exhaust looks amazing by the way. I wish mine looked like that! haha I need to redo mine soon Ive found a couple rust spots in it... :/

Last edited by bakuro117; Apr 29, 2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batty200
I wouldn't run it without coolant. You can collapse a piston pretty Quick. Sounds good. I am sure it will be a huge improvement from stock. Isnt it 50 hp more stock?
excitement got the better of me, been months of piecing this thing together and i wanted to hear it fired up even if for just a few seconds. we didn't run it any longer than 10 seconds though and even then the headers were pretty hot to touch. definitely won't be doing that again though lol.

my guess is it's probably more than 50hp more than stock...49G4 stock does about 120hp, 4G69 stock is about 165hp, but on top of that there's the oversized headers/downpipe (straight pipe), catback, light-weight flywheel, UDP, AEM sri, lighter wheels... combination of the new parts with the new motor could put it around 200hp, that's a pretty rough estimate. will be able to tell better once i drive it. could be as much as 80hp over what i had before

Originally Posted by bakuro117
Looks like its coming together nicely! I cant watch the video at work... >_> I'll have to take a peek later at home or something. Are you leaving the drum brakes in the back or are you going to switch to disk brakes?

EDIT: That exhaust looks amazing by the way. I wish mine looked like that! haha I need to redo mine soon Ive found a couple rust spots in it... :/
ordered new drums, will paint them black then i'll be throwing on the wildwood bbk on the front...might be more than enough, probably 80/20 tho lol, might flip over the handlebars
EDIT: disc brakes might require new brake booster from RA as well as lines for the rears and probably converting to a 5x114.3 lug, decent amount of work to do it, will have to see what my brakes are like first

ya i love the headers man, RRM did a great job, car is soo loud tho lol, i'm going to get a cat welded on

Last edited by doncarbone; Apr 29, 2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah without a rotating muffler aka turbo cars with headers and exhaust are LOUD!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batty200
Yeah without a rotating muffler aka turbo cars with headers and exhaust are LOUD!
i plan to turbo this winter, will have to gauge based on driving with this crazy clutch and the additional power if i'll require converting to awd if i go turbo. (i'm fairly sure I know more or less what parts i need to do the awd swap and my mechanic is more than capable), just a bit of an expensive project...might be able to stick with FWD if i throw on a LSD
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck with that clutch! Especially if it's your DD...
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xmaster19
Good luck with that clutch! Especially if it's your DD...
lol it will be
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

wilwood bbk arrived, very impressed by their packaging and attention to detail.

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-yfifapk.jpg

car is on the road tomorrow. brakes, coilovers, bushings, tie bar and a few other misc components will be installed after a few weeks once i've grown used to that clutch
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Has anyone ever dealt with Accolade? I'm learning (unfortunately far too late) that a ton of users on the forums have had nothing but problems with ordering from them... their sales reps were apparently even banned from the forums.

Two weeks ago from this day I wired them about $1000 USD for a front bumper, rear bumper and side skirts...

Am I to assume I just lost $1000, or have some users been fortunate enough to have received their products, perhaps even in the year 2013???
Old May 1, 2013, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

How does it drive?

Quick Reply: doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap