Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by batty200
How does it drive?
should know this evening once i'm off work. lower radiator hose was about 1.5" too short (evo hose...). ordered in an adapter piece to extend it. rad will be in along with coolant tonight then we'll take it for a quick test drive.

will let you know
Old May 1, 2013, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

drove the car. i regret now not taking a video.

it's stupid fast compared to what it was before. it redlines real quick with that lightweight flywheel. was able to burn rubber in 3rd gear.

car drives very well, we were impressed by its overall acceleration and we were actually driving uphill the whole time

i've never driven an EVO and this is not an EVO, believe me...but it's way damn quicker than what I had before lol

future plans are to turbo (winter) at 7 or 8 psi then throw on an LSD.

when we drove it this afternoon it didn't have on it the big brake kit, tein coilovers, front strut bar, replacement bushings or the new wheels/tires... i can't wait for all those components to go on.

as for mechanical problems from this point forward...we did identify as we were driving that the passenger side wheel bearing is pretty messed so that should be replaced. while we're at it we'll also replace the driver side wheel bearing. rear looks ok.

we will also do a proper lower coolant hose as what we jury rigged temporarily probably wouldn't last long (we just used a PVC adapter pipe we made and clamped it tight to give us the extra 1.5" on the lower hose..held up well enough for our 15 minute or so hill climb, but i'll definitely get a proper fitting hose for later.

clutch is definitely heavy...i'm going to walk funny in a year because my left calf will be so huge lol. we were surprised, however, that it DOES have a bit of slip...so it doesn't burn rubber if you're careful lol

anyway. wish i took a vid. will try to get one up soon. i'll be driving it regularly once we take care of those wheel bearings and the lower coolant hose

i've opted to continue driving on my current tires, brakes and suspension until i'm really confident with the clutch (no use wearing out brand new components)...then in a month or so i'll get the rest installed and maybe at that point i'll have my body kit too and can start on the exterior work (headlights, tail lights, window tint, vinyl (or paint) and HID kit at 6000k).

Last edited by doncarbone; May 1, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old May 2, 2013, 01:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats. Sounds like it exceeded your expectations. Have fun!
Old May 2, 2013, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Awesome! Its good to hear it went well!

I have to say I drove an OZ Rally that belonged to someone I work with. And compared to the 4g69 and Ralliart the two are nearly entirely different. One of the first most noticeable things to me was how squishy the OZs was compared to my RA. The suspension, the seats the whole ride. I did notice the OZ had better initial throttle response but I think it was because the 4g69 uses an electronic throttle not a drive by wire system. But those extra 40 or so ponies really help the 4g69 too. Not to mention the mivec activation.

Im glad your happy with it though. I cant wait to see the final setup with the suspension and brakes and all!

Enjoy it!
Old May 2, 2013, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats man. Ever thought about slapping an evo head on it?
Old May 3, 2013, 04:39 AM
Evolving Member

Good to hear you can finally drive this thing!! Also, I have to say :

Don carbone, this is torque.
Torque, this is Doncarbone.

You have been introduced to torque. The 2.0L doesn't have tons of it, that's why you were surprised by the uphill acceleration. Enjoy being able to climb steep hills below 3k rpms!
Old May 3, 2013, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job bro now wake that baby up even more with some booooooost!!
Old May 3, 2013, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks clean bro. good job on your part and it seems to have exceeding your expectations. have fun and cant wait for your turbo set up bro. like i said, my buddy with an 06 ralliart turbo is pretty quick!
Old May 5, 2013, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batty200
Congrats. Sounds like it exceeded your expectations. Have fun!
thank you, it definitely has. can't wait for the suspension components and brakes

Originally Posted by bakuro117
I did notice the OZ had better initial throttle response but I think it was because the 4g69 uses an electronic throttle not a drive by wire system. But those extra 40 or so ponies really help the 4g69 too. Not to mention the mivec activation.
the TB setup is weird on the RA...it's drive by wire to a point...then its electronic..it's neither 100% wire, nor electric lol

id reckon im looking at even more than 40 ponies, id be interested in getting it dyno tested...it's got to be near 200 total

Originally Posted by djikonatx
didn't even know i could do this - it fits? nothing custom required? what are the differences (performance wise) between just throwing on a ported/polished head stage from RRM (20% larger ports) - link: http://bit.ly/16aZaoW (expensive as hell tho)

Originally Posted by xmaster19
Good to hear you can finally drive this thing!! Also, I have to say :

Don carbone, this is torque.
Torque, this is Doncarbone.

You have been introduced to torque. The 2.0L doesn't have tons of it, that's why you were surprised by the uphill acceleration. Enjoy being able to climb steep hills below 3k rpms!
pleased to be acquainted lol. i remember there were hills around where i live that my OZ would stop at 55km/hr and wouldn't be able to accelerate any longer...granted it was a really old motor...the difference between that and now is quite substantial.

Originally Posted by 03lances
Nice job bro now wake that baby up even more with some booooooost!!
might be my christmas gift for myself

Originally Posted by misterevo8
looks clean bro. good job on your part and it seems to have exceeding your expectations. have fun and cant wait for your turbo set up bro. like i said, my buddy with an 06 ralliart turbo is pretty quick!
thank you, the overall process went quite well, it was just a lot of part sourcing, particularly on the last stretch there.. good thing these cars run through auto recyclers often enough to still find the parts. turbo will be awesome, fairly sizable undertaking though...i'd want to do it right...forged pistons, head studs, modest boost to start... whole process all said and done would cost as much as this whole swap probably so i'll give my bank account some time to rest for a while, she's been working hard these past few months.

Thank you everyone for the support. More updates to come soon once I drive around on the new clutch for a while before moving into the install of the brakes/suspension and exterior work!

Last edited by doncarbone; May 5, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old May 6, 2013, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by doncarbone
didn't even know i could do this - it fits? nothing custom required? what are the differences (performance wise) between just throwing on a ported/polished head stage from RRM (20% larger ports) - link: http://bit.ly/16aZaoW (expensive as hell tho)
Yup its doable. It has to be an Evo IX head though, Evo VIII heads dont have lines for Mivec. Youd then need an Evo IX wiring harness, and ECU. You can get a lot of nice visuals and ideas from Mitsuorder's 4g69 Experiment.
Old May 6, 2013, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Yup they fit and it'll be crazy if you get it done. You have or will start the same thing as Honda guys have in a way. Lol. Dooooo it.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bakuro117
Yup its doable. It has to be an Evo IX head though, Evo VIII heads dont have lines for Mivec. Youd then need an Evo IX wiring harness, and ECU. You can get a lot of nice visuals and ideas from Mitsuorder's 4g69 Experiment.
Yup they fit and it'll be crazy if you get it done. You have or will start the same thing as Honda guys have in a way. Lol. Dooooo it.
what sort of gains should i expect to see? how much money to source an EVO ECU/harness and head? damn now i'd have to redo that entire wiring harness -___- ugh

edit: that 4G69 experiment is gnarly, fabrication on that manifold is a complete work of art!!

Last edited by doncarbone; May 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Well please don't quote me on this but , I really don't think you NEED to change your wiring harness and ecu. As long as they are both for mivec I THINK you should be ok. In the Honda world you can use the same ecu and harnes to power a SOHC and dOHC engine. As far as gains it'll be something new.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Well please don't quote me on this but , I really don't think you NEED to change your wiring harness and ecu. As long as they are both for mivec I THINK you should be ok. In the Honda world you can use the same ecu and harnes to power a SOHC and dOHC engine. As far as gains it'll be something new.
might require a good tune afterward though as you're adding so much more airflow?

i do like the idea of getting to use a lot of 4g63 internals...not a whole lot available for the 4g69

Last edited by doncarbone; May 6, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old May 6, 2013, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by doncarbone
might require a good tune afterward though as you're adding so much more airflow?

i do like the idea of getting to use a lot of 4g63 internals...not a whole lot available for the 4g69
A tune is a must.

Quick Reply: doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap