Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

razorlab's simple build(s)

Old Apr 5, 2018, 04:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Finally started doing Blackstone oil analysis on the new motor. This sample was taken after my two day track weekend where I beat the hell out of the car for two days on track. Oil temps hit almost 280 towards the end of each session.

Good to know even the standard non synthetic VR1 can take this and that the motor is healthy. I'm moving to synthetic VR1 for my next event to see if there is any difference.

Old Apr 6, 2018, 08:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Definitely a good oil report. And it supports my theory that oil should be changed every track day/weekend. Wear metals are at a level as if the oil went over 3k miles...

The viscosity at 100*C seems a bit low for a 20w50 though. Usually that's 20.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
I’ve been running the 10W-30 non-syn VR1 in both my Evo’s for sometime now. Solid performing oil at a killer price. I’ve never tried the VR1 full-syn. Are you running 10W-30 or 20W-50?!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by e_kobz
I’ve been running the 10W-30 non-syn VR1 in both my Evo’s for sometime now. Solid performing oil at a killer price. I’ve never tried the VR1 full-syn. Are you running 10W-30 or 20W-50?!
20w50. Just switched to VR1 syn this week and my oil pressure at WOT is up +5-6psi. Cool beans. Will see how it does on track tomorrow.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 01:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Track day number four with the new build was yesterday. I'm starting to be much more comfortable with the car and it's showing. I broke my personal best by almost 2 seconds and now approx 1.3 secs away from my goal. Super happy with the car, it's freakin' fast as hell, I'm going Hans device shopping this weekend because of it.

I'll do a more detailed write up with data and such in a couple days once I get some time. For now, here is a video of my new personal best 2:01 lap time.

Old Apr 17, 2018, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Track day number four with the new build was yesterday. I'm starting to be much more comfortable with the car and it's showing. I broke my personal best by almost 2 seconds and now approx 1.3 secs away from my goal. Super happy with the car, it's freakin' fast as hell, I'm going Hans device shopping this weekend because of it.

I'll do a more detailed write up with data and such in a couple days once I get some time. For now, here is a video of my new personal best 2:01 lap time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmatMAbsvtE
nice video. sure does haul the mail
Old Apr 17, 2018, 07:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmatMAbsvtE
Great lines and car control . That thing rips.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:25 PM
EvoM Guru

I was able to install my JDM fog deletes before this last track day. I got all excited when I did because the difference visually of how much more of the oil cooler is in direct air now is HUGE.

However, I just overlayed data from yesterday and a session last month with comparable outside ambient temps and the oil temp is *almost exactly the same*. Follows basically the exact same plot... so yea, the deletes don't help.

Much disappoint. I think maybe I need to make a custom duct to force more air into the cooler now. The OEM duct doesn't seem to channel as well as it could for this cooler.

Old Apr 18, 2018, 08:44 AM
EvoM Guru

So... guess what happened again? Damn car fritzed out again and lost power. Car was solid all day long and in the 2nd lap of my fourth session, every time I shifted to 4th under WOT the car would fritz out and loose all power, just like before. However this time it was repeatable and not just a one time thing. It was more dangerous this time as well because I almost had a C63 run into the back of me going down the straight since I was hauling *** one second and then the next, nothing.

ONLY happened in 4th gear and after doing that four times while trying WOT in 4th it all cleared up on it's own and I was able to go 100% the rest of the session. So odd that it just clears up on it's own. Now that I know it only does it in 4th, I'm going to start looking at any gear/speed related tables in the ECU.

Here is one of the instances caught on log: https://datazap.me/u/razorlab/thunde...zoom=7510-7949
Old Apr 18, 2018, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

I was able to install my JDM fog deletes before this last track day. I got all excited when I did because the difference visually of how much more of the oil cooler is in direct air now is HUGE.

However, I just overlayed data from yesterday and a session last month with comparable outside ambient temps and the oil temp is *almost exactly the same*. Follows basically the exact same plot... so yea, the deletes don't help.

Much disappoint. I think maybe I need to make a custom duct to force more air into the cooler now. The OEM duct doesn't seem to channel as well as it could for this cooler.

The fog deletes look so good. Shame they don’t help as much as they should
Old Apr 18, 2018, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time for a fan

Hey I have been watching you build since almost the beginning and have enjoyed and learned lots.

*Warning blasphemy* you need to put a fan on your oil cooler to help with temps. Many people say it will not make a difference but I have put one on my SST cooler and have done a bunch of testing with. I have two temp sensors, one pre and one post cooler. After getting it up to temp 165+ and driving constant hey speed 100km for at least 5 mins, so the temp stabilizes with about 35f cooling difference. I turned on the fan and within 15 seconds the cooling temp difference increases to 50f.

I made my own bracket and put on a none name brand fan.

The conventional thinking is more air hence why you did the delete but the mechanics work based on pressure differencal of the air pressure. A fan will not move air faster than you can drive but allows more air to pass through. It may seem weird but I promise you it works and can you think of a cheaper fix for 50$

Keep up the great work!

Old Apr 19, 2018, 07:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Brian, your oil temp does at least seem to stabilize. And the max was 264?. Can you find a group that does 30 minute sessions and see if it continues to climb? Ideally, you'd prefer to under 250, or even 230 with the oil. But for 20 minute sessions, you're not gonna hurt it getting up to 260-270.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 08:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Brian, your oil temp does at least seem to stabilize. And the max was 264?. Can you find a group that does 30 minute sessions and see if it continues to climb? Ideally, you'd prefer to under 250, or even 230 with the oil. But for 20 minute sessions, you're not gonna hurt it getting up to 260-270.
The kicker was that it was really cold this day. First session it was 43* out! Highest oil temp was 251*

The second session, where I did my personal best, and what the video above is from, I saw a max oil temp of 257*. It was around 45-47* ambient outside.

My last session, which was around 2pm, it was approx 55* out and highest oil temp was 263* on the last lap but looking at the data the last three laps the oil temp was around 3-4* of each other. So it stabilized.

I'm going to another event in two weeks and it looks like it's going to be around 80*. And next month I am going to an event and doing the full 5 mile combined courses for the first time. Should be able to get some interesting data from that one. I already know I'm not going to be able to bring enough fuel for the whole day.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 08:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Seems like it does follow ambient temp delta though. Might be an issue on an 80-90* day.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 08:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Seems like it does follow ambient temp delta though. Might be an issue on an 80-90* day.
Yup, last event was high 70's, low 80's and my max oil temp was 279*. However this was before the fog light delete so should be interesting to see if that helps any in higher ambient temps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: razorlab's simple build(s)