Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

CS6A Complete AWD swap | FWD OZ Rally converted to AWD via Outlander/EVO 9

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
That's what I thought, I was thinking why he didn't just buy an evo it would be cheaper, but I was giving you props on having the ***** to do that anyway
If the aim was to build a car of identical or very comparable performance to that of a stock EVO, given what I started with, it would have amounted to cheaper.

But I'm doing a full engine build and aftermarket turbo and fuel system as well. Given the goals I have for the car, if I did buy a stock EVO8/9, I'd be replacing over half the parts anyway. With this build, I'm not replacing stock parts with an aftermarket upgrade, but rather going straight to the aftermarket part.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

i've had this sticker for about 9 months.

CS6A Complete AWD swap | FWD OZ Rally converted to AWD via Outlander/EVO 9-bvpx7zp.jpg

i will still wait until the driveshaft is installed before applying it
Old Oct 29, 2014, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As big as this project is, why not start with a smaller turbo like OEM Evo 9 to speed the project up and get it on the road quicker. Then eventually going big boy turbo.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sil'vr-Boi6
As big as this project is, why not start with a smaller turbo like OEM Evo 9 to speed the project up and get it on the road quicker. Then eventually going big boy turbo.
In hindsight, this would have been the way to do it... but technically more expensive (you'd have to get two manifolds, two wastegates, two turbos, o2 housing that couldn't be re-used...etc, of course spread out over many months...but it's still buying twice then selling again).

I decided a while back now to completely build the engine because many of the components (less basically the 4G69 block and the odd adapter) needs to be sourced from an EVO, of which I obviously don't have.

While buying nothing but used EVO 9 engine components would have gotten me much closer to my goal faster, given the fact I'm not replacing pre-existing components and whether I go cheap or not, the engine needs to be built anyway, I took the opportunity to source aftermarket upgraded internals right out the gate.

The way I see it, and maybe I'm just rationalizing being crazy lol, but it's kind of a scenario where you pay X and get, say, 30% gains, or pay 1.5X and get 70% gains. It seems to make sense in my case to spend that little bit more to get a higher return variable.

Things are coming together, though, and this will pay off in the end I'm sure. The transmission and t-case are being built by T.R.E. and this week I am ordering just about the rest of the engine components ready for the build this winter!

Last edited by doncarbone; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear diff

Did the outlander diff ever worked for u
Old Nov 17, 2014, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by flabber
Did the outlander diff ever worked for u
it's of the same ratio as the EVO diff, so theoretically it should work, but i'm waiting on the EVO tranny/tcase before I get the measurements made for the driveshaft we'll need.

I've also being sent a rear diff from an EVO to test fitment on the Outlander crossmember...i think that's being shipped up by a friend this week.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 04:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
awesome build, this is making me think some bad ideas that my wife approve of lol
Old Dec 8, 2014, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone ever put Evo running gear in an Outlander?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by jolt77
Has anyone ever put Evo running gear in an Outlander?
Yeah google Evolander
Also google Airtrek, it's the jdm outlander with Evo parts

Last edited by apoopoo999; Dec 8, 2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apoopoo999
awesome build, this is making me think some bad ideas that my wife approve of lol
you only live once, but can have multiple wives lol
Old Dec 8, 2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by doncarbone
you only live once, but can have multiple wives lol
I hope you mean multiple wives in succession and not all at the same time lol
Old Dec 8, 2014, 08:03 PM

it's of the same ratio as the EVO diff, so theoretically it should work, but i'm waiting on the EVO tranny/tcase before I get the measurements made for the driveshaft we'll need.

I've also being sent a rear diff from an EVO to test fitment on the Outlander crossmember...i think that's being shipped up by a friend this week.
Evo 8 final drive ratio is 3.307 so if you are using an Evo 8 transfer case the outlander rear diff must be 3.307 as well.
You can open up the outlander pumpkin and count the teeth on the pinion and ring gear and use the calculator on this site
http://www.differentials.com/technic...tio-calculator
Old Dec 8, 2014, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

I hope you mean multiple wives in succession and not all at the same time lol
yes, nobody wants to die young of mental illness.

Evo 8 final drive ratio is 3.307 so if you are using an Evo 8 transfer case the outlander rear diff must be 3.307 as well.
You can open up the outlander pumpkin and count the teeth on the pinion and ring gear and use the calculator on this site
http://www.differentials.com/technic...tio-calculator
We did confirm that the final drive ratio of the Outlander is the same. We spun the crown/pinion and compared number of times that spun versus # times a single axle (marked with chalk) rotated. We spun the diff 100 times and our calculated ratio was exactly 3.30698 or thereabouts.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 09:03 PM

We did confirm that the final drive ratio of the Outlander is the same. We spun the crown/pinion and compared number of times that spun versus # times a single axle (marked with chalk) rotated. We spun the diff 100 times and our calculated ratio was exactly 3.30698 or thereabouts.
You should be good to go!
Now I'm tempted to find a 2004 ralliart wagon and add outlander awd plus cs5w nose
Old Dec 12, 2014, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be good to go!
Now I'm tempted to find a 2004 ralliart wagon and add outlander awd plus cs5w nose
Ive been following this guys build for AWHILE now , i have a ralliart wagon im probably going to convert to a evo using what doncarbone's doing😁😁 , im gonna start collecting parts for the body first. Cant wait to see how the car comes out doncarbone!

Quick Reply: CS6A Complete AWD swap | FWD OZ Rally converted to AWD via Outlander/EVO 9