Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Lancer Sportback (Cedia Wagon) to Evo Wagon (ct9w)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:21 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Lancer Sportback (Cedia Wagon) to Evo Wagon (ct9w)

[/url

Hello Everyone, I just purchased a 2005 Lancer Sportback and I will be transforming it into a CT9W Evo wagon.

So right now it looks like this

Lancer Sportback (Cedia Wagon) to Evo Wagon (ct9w)-jjnd6q8.jpg

And this is what I plan to transform it into

Lancer Sportback (Cedia Wagon) to Evo Wagon (ct9w)-pc6kfhk.jpg

The exterior is pretty straight forward
Evo 7-9 hood, bumper, head lights, fenders and side skirts will bolt on. Most of this can be sourced in north america
Rear bumper and tail light garnish will need to be imported
Rear flares will be fiberglass over fenders for evo sedan.
JDM evo wagon and Cedia wagon spoilers will fit

Im going to go the same route as doncarbone's build for the awd

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...r-evo-9-a.html

Outlander rear setup, outlander transmission and transfercase and outlander driveshaft.

Last edited by apoopoo999; Nov 6, 2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a great project you have here. I'm surprised nobody hasn't tried this. Doncarbones project is definitely a unique one I can not wait for that do be up and running. The drivetrain on it something I cannot wait for it to start rolling.

Will you be using a front clip from a CT9A? I wish you the best of luck man.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
We've day dreamed about this for a long time down in the 04-06 RA section. Best of luck to you! Cant wait to see the outcome!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FROM Doncarbone's thread.

Originally Posted by apoopoo999
I have been searching craigslist for a ralliart wagon every since I read this thread lol
I was thinking the rear can be done with one of the evo 8/9 wide body over fenders.

If you need any of the ct9w (evo wagon) rear bumpers or spoiler and you will also need those plastic molding around the tail lights I can get those for you.
Where and how much?

Originally Posted by R/Asportback
Ive been following this guys build for AWHILE now , i have a ralliart wagon im probably going to convert to a evo using what doncarbone's doing���� , im gonna start collecting parts for the body first. Cant wait to see how the car comes out doncarbone!
I can't verify, and I don't know if I dreamed it, but does the Sportback share the pan from an Outlander?

If so the conversion may be a little easier...

Also too, I have a wrecked R/A Sportback that we can pull apart if you want to dissect a car.

Last edited by Resurrected RA; Jan 5, 2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 02:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Resurrected RA
FROM Doncarbone's thread.

Where and how much?

I can't verify, and I don't know if I dreamed it, but does the Sportback share the pan from an Outlander?

If so the conversion may be a little easier...

Also too, I have a wrecked R/A Sportback that we can pull apart if you want to dissect a car.

The bumper is about $400 shipped to the US and the plastic pieces are another $100

images upload

pic upload

As for the rear floor pan Im pretty sure it has the same pan as any fwd lancer. The outlander rear subframe will have to be welded in like what Doncarbone did.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

As for the rear floor pan Im pretty sure it has the same pan as any fwd lancer. The outlander rear subframe will have to be welded in like what Doncarbone did.
Yeah, I decided to research it, to end any speculation in my own mind.

MR547324

vs

MR954029

I was dreaming that it would be easy...
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Big project. Good Luck!
Didn't Mitsubishi add a lancer wagon roof and rear glass and panels to an Evo IX sedan and then re-inforce C and D pillars and tailgate? Wouldn't that be easier?

Anyway if I can help just ask.

I really need to get a spare rear bar too.

Last edited by uzumaki; Jan 18, 2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by uzumaki
Big project. Good Luck!
Didn't Mitsubishi add a lancer wagon roof and rear glass and panels to an Evo IX sedan and then re-inforce C and D pillars and tailgate? Wouldn't that be easier?
Are you confirming the existence of the CT9W, which you own?

The CT9A is not readily available in North America. In Canada, where I reside, we have to wait 15 years before we can import a vehicle from Japan. I watch the auctions almost every day tracking the prices on the CT9W, I am counting down the days to when I can import one. (2247 days) My swap would then be a RHD to LHD.

I think it's worth considering the type of swap you propose. I have a Sportback that could be used for it's "sportback" parts; the upper rear components, tailgate etc. I am just wondering how one could eliminate the rear bulkhead in between the rear seat and trunk and I suppose it would be just as much work as installing an entire rear pan. And less crucial to get the fitment right, as there is no suspension components involved with changing the Sportback body parts over to a CT9A platform.

However, the way that apoopoo999 is proposing to do this build would cost less then finding a good example of a CT9A and cannibalizing it, due to the rarity of the CT9A in North America. Further to that, Doncarbone has proven that it will work and detailed the build extensively.

I will be following apoopoo999's build closely. apoopoo999, good luck!

Last edited by Resurrected RA; Jan 18, 2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Yes I have a black e9 GT wagon. see my avatar or instagram feed.

Here's some web info for you:

Lancer Evolution Wagon uses the same platform (engine compartment, front floor and rear floor) as Evolution IX.

The body takes Lancer Wagon's side panels and roof panel and adds reinforcements at the A, B, C and D pillar joins.

The addition of a large floor cross member reinforces the joins between the rear floor, rear wheelhouse and body side structure and brings a substantial increase in torsional stiffness.

Major reinforcements have been added to the joins between the rear floor, rear end panel and the bottom of the D-pillar.

The addition of a reinforcement at the top of the rear shock absorber mounting and an extra 50 spot welds in the tailgate opening help realize a lightweight and very stiff body at a minimum weight.
The following users liked this post:
VRookie (May 1, 2018)
Old Jan 18, 2015, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Yes I have a black e9 GT wagon. see my avatar or instagram feed.

Here's some web info for you:

Lancer Evolution Wagon uses the same platform (engine compartment, front floor and rear floor) as Evolution IX.

The body takes Lancer Wagon's side panels and roof panel and adds reinforcements at the A, B, C and D pillar joins.

The addition of a large floor cross member reinforces the joins between the rear floor, rear wheelhouse and body side structure and brings a substantial increase in torsional stiffness.

Major reinforcements have been added to the joins between the rear floor, rear end panel and the bottom of the D-pillar.

The addition of a reinforcement at the top of the rear shock absorber mounting and an extra 50 spot welds in the tailgate opening help realize a lightweight and very stiff body at a minimum weight.
Thanks for this, not too sure how that would be "easier" than what the OP is proposing. Although, doing all that would be truer to the end goal of an "EVO wagon".

Originally Posted by uzumaki earlier in the thread
Didn't Mitsubishi add a lancer wagon roof and rear glass and panels to an Evo IX sedan and then re-inforce C and D pillars and tailgate?
Seems to me you already knew the answer to your question...

Last edited by Resurrected RA; Jan 18, 2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

My earlier post of differences was just from my memory. My last post was because I found the article that I think my memory was based on, so I copied & pasted it. But I don't know if it was genuine Mitsubishi information or just some internet conclusion. Geez I didn't know I had to explain to this detail, I was just trying to help the OP to make a "more real" evo wagon

Last edited by uzumaki; Jan 19, 2015 at 01:04 AM. Reason: to make more concise
Old Jan 19, 2015, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

My earlier post of differences was just from my memory. My last post was because I found the article that I think my memory was based on, so I copied & pasted it. But I don't know if it was genuine Mitsubishi information or just some internet conclusion. Geez I didn't know I had to explain to this detail, I was just trying to help the OP to make a "more real" evo wagon

Sorry if I sound harsh, but many people come into these build threads and assume that the OP hasn't already done all the research necessary. Us RalliArt guys are constantly told: "You should get an EVO...", "Wouldn't getting an EVO be easier...", "the EVO is still a better car...".

In the OP apoopoo999 detailed how he was going to accomplish HIS project. You asked questions, I tried providing an answer. Like I said, the CT9A is rare and it would be almost sacrilegious to cut one up in the name of this project.

You sound like you were purposely being obtuse, if that wasn't your intention, then I apologize.

Back on topic: apoopoo999; do you have any progress updates?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Best of luck on the project
Old Jan 31, 2015, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
So those plastic peices are for the lights? The rear hatch lights use the same as the usdm lights just with extra molded peices? Seems kinda strange how would they not stick out....
The bumper is about $400 shipped to the US and the plastic pieces are another $100

images upload

pic upload

Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Resurrected RA
However, the way that apoopoo999 is proposing to do this build would cost less then finding a good example of a CT9A and cannibalizing it, due to the rarity of the CT9A in North America. Further to that, Doncarbone has proven that it will work and detailed the build extensively.
Rare is a relative term. While you are patiently waiting to import a CT9W I am waiting to come across a CT9A that has been rear ended.

Subscribed for this build. I am sure it will be a learning experience.

Quick Reply: Lancer Sportback (Cedia Wagon) to Evo Wagon (ct9w)