Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

MIL.SPEC lightweight 2.3 MR build

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Ok. Phew. FInally getting close to short block assembly.

Got my oil pump gears back from WPC. Has any other Evo owner done this? Looking forward to see how smooth and easily the engine runs

been looking at this as well. just sent my pump off for coating. doing pistons and bearings also.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 01:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I think bearings would be the biggest must on any build. And they don't cost that much. Didn't get the pistons done, but I did get the rings done. Hell, I got my balance shafts done along with the ACL balance shaft bearings since I am keeping those in my build.

Looking forward to picking up the block on Tuesday. Getting the cylinder bores done wasn't cheap, but like I said...I didn't feel good about the TechLine coating with no reviews and the walls are a huge friction surface. So, they'll be nice and WPC'd on Tuesday
Old Mar 11, 2016, 03:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
How does WPC work on the cylinder walls? It's basically smaller shot peening, I would be concerned about it knocking down the sharp ridges left by honing which are intended to seat the rings, and causing ring seating issues..
Old Mar 11, 2016, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
How does WPC work on the cylinder walls? It's basically smaller shot peening, I would be concerned about it knocking down the sharp ridges left by honing which are intended to seat the rings, and causing ring seating issues..
good point I would also be concerned about that.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 04:31 PM
Former Sponsor

I know race teams have used it, but that's a very good question. I will post Izumi's response to that question here in the thread.

Here is what I could find before I hear back from WPC:

Micro dimpled surfaces are not harmed and WPC works well on finely finished machined areas such as seal contact areas, bearing bores, bearing seating surfaces, crankshaft fillets and other delicate areas.

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
good point I would also be concerned about that.
Well, WPC does not affect dimesions of parts or tolerances. I have also read where people said their ring seal was better after treatment. Both FXMD and XS Engineering used it on their race motors as did Nakajima Racing in their JGTC car.

And, you know what, learn by doing, right? If this doesn't work or help and I have just ruined my build it will:

A) Serve me right and
B) Be a good learning tool

I'm EvoM's guinea pig

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Mar 11, 2016 at 05:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Erik@MIL.SPEC:
ctfpevoVIII (Mar 12, 2016), Klaiceps (Mar 29, 2016)
Old Mar 12, 2016, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
I know race teams have used it, but that's a very good question. I will post Izumi's response to that question here in the thread.

Here is what I could find before I hear back from WPC:

Micro dimpled surfaces are not harmed and WPC works well on finely finished machined areas such as seal contact areas, bearing bores, bearing seating surfaces, crankshaft fillets and other delicate areas.

Well, WPC does not affect dimesions of parts or tolerances. I have also read where people said their ring seal was better after treatment. Both FXMD and XS Engineering used it on their race motors as did Nakajima Racing in their JGTC car.

And, you know what, learn by doing, right? If this doesn't work or help and I have just ruined my build it will:

A) Serve me right and
B) Be a good learning tool

I'm EvoM's guinea pig
well I hope your experience goes well
Old Mar 12, 2016, 08:49 AM
EvoM Guru

I wasn't worried about the ptw clearance. A finish honed cylinder is basically a very fine tooth file so that it literally files the rings into the exact shape of the cylinder. I was worried about the treatment process (blasting the cylinder wall with tiny particles) would knock down the "teeth" of the "file". But if it's been proven successful in other applications, you should be fine.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

I wasn't worried about the ptw clearance. A finish honed cylinder is basically a very fine tooth file so that it literally files the rings into the exact shape of the cylinder. I was worried about the treatment process (blasting the cylinder wall with tiny particles) would knock down the "teeth" of the "file". But if it's been proven successful in other applications, you should be fine.

Here's what Izumi sent me:

Dear Erik,

You can still see honing scratches after WPC treatment.

https://m.facebook.com/wpctreatment/...type=3&theater

As for ring seal, there is no problem sealing. It’ll seal better after regular break-in process. However if the boring/honing is not properly done(straightness, roundness), it might take longer time to break in since WPC treatment reduce wear of the parts. Actually, treating cylinder, piston, piston rings improve ring seal. Many builder report they see less or no blow-by after treatment.

Please feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Izumi Ogawa

WPC Treatment. Co., Inc.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Mar 12, 2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I know you've coated something by now Erik........
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jmills
I know you've coated something by now Erik........
It has been 2 weeks.... Maybe he coated and WPC treated his key board and it quit working?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It has been 2 weeks.... Maybe he coated and WPC treated his key board and it quit working?

I picture him trying to type but he can't because his fingers slip off the keys from the treatment.

Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:54 PM
EvoM Guru

hahaahaha
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jmills

I picture him trying to type but he can't because his fingers slip off the keys from the treatment.

That's funny as hell

I literally just got back in town after being over seas for 2+ weeks.

I am going to get the crankshaft and block final cleaned, because they both underwent WPC treatment and I want them squeaky clean for Aby to assemble everything.

I'll take a picture of the cylinder bores. They have that gray WPC sheen to them now

I'll have some updates later this week as I adjust back to US time
Old Apr 11, 2016, 03:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok, finally got my valve cover back with the -10 AN line and baffles tapped/drilled so they're removable. I think I used screws that were a little too small, but whatever. Just have to make sure the holes stay clean. BTW, the machine shop had my valve cover for almost a year

This is why it's very important to find a reliable machine shop otherwise you'll be at the mercy of people who like to drop the ball.

Also, picking up my crank and block from final cleaning at another machine shop. We're essentially ready for assembly now

I'll post pics tonight.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 03:47 PM
EvoM Guru

A year? I hope you didn't pay for 2 hours of work that took a year...lol

Quick Reply: MIL.SPEC lightweight 2.3 MR build