Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

MIL.SPEC lightweight 2.3 MR build

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
MIL.SPEC lightweight 2.3 MR build

Hey there EvoM peeps. Finally getting my ducks in a row for this build. We'll be using special MIL.SPEC designed billet pistons and rods, plus a lightened crankshaft and a whole bunch of other parts. The lightweight refers to the engine assembly, not the weight of the car. It's a porker at this point lol (3400 pounds or so).

Was thinking about going with a BBK-B, but may opt for a Red instead. Jerry reviewed his 2.3 with the BBK-B, and although he said the car felt better in 1st through 3rd, he missed the power in 4th and 5th that the Red supplied. Even with the upgraded 6 speed, about 600hp is about as far north as you can go, and I don't want much slower than full spool at 4,000 RPMS.

This car will also have a MIVEC conversion and a MIL.SPEC head with valves cut on a Newen machine.

The goals of this build are simple: Use lightweight parts, reduce friction and contain/control heat. Hopefully those factors combine to create tangible results and a very fun machine.

First pic is of my Shep built 6 speed insides. Gears were REM isofinished including the final drive, and then sent to WPC to get treated.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Jun 21, 2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Subscribed for greatness!
Old Jun 18, 2015, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this will be good
Old Jun 18, 2015, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Nice
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Okay, so I ordered a BB Red today with an MHI housing and the new Xona billet center cartridge. Will post pics of that when it comes in.

Here's the crank. Did a lot of reading and some believe that a bullnose shape disturbs the oil less than a knife edged crank which led me to FFWD and their butcher crank. Bought a 4G64 crank off EBay and had Castillo's Crankshaft here in SoCal massage it...chamfered all the oil holes, tapped and cleaned the galleys, micro polish the journals and had it nitrided.

Then it went off to FFWD where it had the counterweights cut and lightened the crank. They also applied an oil shedding coating to the counterweights and it was cryotreated.

In short, it looks pretty

Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
crank looks cool. how much does it weigh now? and how much was end cost if you dont mind me asking?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Subscribed! Good luck!
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
crank looks cool. how much does it weigh now? and how much was end cost if you dont mind me asking?
I need to check on a more accurate scale, but my silly home scale says it's 30 pounds...which means it's ~5 pounds lighter than a non-cut 4G64 crank. As for cost, I know when I talked to Aby (who has had machine shops essentially make a half-counterweighted OEM crank for him) he thought the price was a little high. It was $600 plus $80 for the Vader (oil-shedding) coating. He gave me a deal on cryotreating, but I forget what it was off-hand...

http://www.ffwdconnection.com/butchercrank.html

I like to mess/noodle with things (Ok, not like R/TErnie, I'm a enthusiast not an engineer), and no one else was providing a design I liked. It's 4 pounds heavier than the Winberg crank, but it's $2,000 cheaper and now I can run a lightweight flywheel to make up some weight savings (in comparison to the Winberg).

And you're the reason I went with a Red...I had my heart set on a BBK-B/Dom 2.0 for so long lol

We'll see if my heat management part of the build can retain/contain enough thermal energy to help spool with these super heavy comp and turbine wheels

Although, the new Xona center section looks pretty cool
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor

IMHO, this is the pièce de résistance of the engine build, our Billet MIL.SPEC Pistons. 9.75 CR and the lightest weight Evo piston I've seen at 262 grams. These pistons were designed by Aby to not only have higher compression, but also proper dish (many HC pistons have flater tops). They're ceramic coated with a moly coating on the skirt. I plan on having the domes and valve faces ceramic coated too. More heat in the combustion chamber = more powa

Also went with a lighter weight DLC coated pin. Had them cryo treated as well since they're rated at 150hp/cylinder and we'll be bumping up against that with the Red on E85.

Also had the rings WPC treated for friction reduction.

Old Jun 21, 2015, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I like EVERYTHING about this thread so far. Light weight parts and thermal coatings. That does it for me.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck with your build.
power
Old Jun 22, 2015, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Thoroughly enjoying this thread so far. Sub'd.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Awesome thread....Subscribed!
Old Jun 23, 2015, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That crank is sexy, got me a little excited in the pants. Looking forward to more updates sir!
Old Jun 23, 2015, 04:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
That crank is sexy, got me a little excited in the pants. Looking forward to more updates sir!
I know. If only the crank were a girl

So, got my FP manifold back from the porting place. Ruben at www.socalporting.com was great. Good work and quick turnaround (my crank was at Castillo's for like 6 months...talk about frustrating). Now that Aby doesn't do any more porting, he's my go-to guy. And ceramic coating was only $30. I just got the bill for my fuel rail, and it was $75 for a heat emitting coating. Oi.

Even when I got my ported OEM manifold Swain coated, it was still putting off a lot of heat, and I had the OEM heat shield on there too. So I am considering also getting a custom inconel shield made as well, that would fit under the OEM shield (I live in Kalifornia). I want to have a cold engine bay (not possible I know lol)

Pretty ceramic coating:

Gasket matched to turbo gasket (there was a ton of material there...wish I had taken a before pic):

Gasket matched coming off the head:

Quick Reply: MIL.SPEC lightweight 2.3 MR build