Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo 8 build! (2.3, albins dogbox, top mount 6870)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
Glad to see you back!

Are you going with the 88mm Manley Billet? I think it's the 100mm (2.3l stroke) cranks that have the cracking issue. Although the oem 88mm crank can also take a ton of power. I think the 'turbo tuff" i beams will work great, but some light, high end Carillo's would also do the job and help keep reciprocating and rational weight about the crank journal down. I'm afraid that although the aluminum rods are better on the bearings, they will stretch over time with the amount power power being made here. Rod bearing crush could eventually disappear.
Pal215 aren’t you running a Manley 100 mm billet in your 2.3? I also run a 2.3 with a Manley 100 mm billet crank built by Tscomp , but wish I would of done my research and went with a 2.2 with 94 mm crank. All the horror stories of the 100 mm cranks breaking make me cringe myself, I’m currently only making like 470/400 on mustang dyno, hope it holds up. Sorry to the OP for sort thread jacking.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII

Pal215 aren’t you running a Manley 100 mm billet in your 2.3? I also run a 2.3 with a Manley 100 mm billet crank built by Tscomp , but wish I would of done my research and went with a 2.2 with 94 mm crank. All the horror stories of the 100 mm cranks breaking make me cringe myself, I’m currently only making like 470/400 on mustang dyno, hope it holds up. Sorry to the OP for sort thread jacking.
That's correct. Once I started hearing the stories and became worried, I began building a spare 2.4LR shortblock (K1 rods, OEM 100mm crank, and Wiseco Pistons) just in case the billet manley 100mm fails one day. It most commonly fails near the #4 rod journal, often times cracking at the oil hole. The OEM and K1 cranks have straight drilled oil holes which seem to hold up better, but the largest issues are the tensions, forces, and harmonics that have to do with placing the rod journals so far out from the main journals...but you just can't get that larger displacement out of a 4G any other way

The solution is to ensure you use the very best crank possible, use the lightest pistons and rods needed for your goals, and balance the rotating assembly to a T while also using a harmonic balancer. I think we failed that first part.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What about also a clutch with damper (springs). I am also using a 100mm Billet crank, went with carillo rods which weigh around 590grams and wiseco pistons which I do not remember their weight but i am certain that are lighter than stock. Also went with gsc race balance shaft (instead of deleting it completely), a fluidampr and a twin plate clutch which has springs. I think that the springs help to reduce vibration and also the harshness when they are engaging. My tuner/builder suggested me to get that type of clutch after hearing about manley cranks of cracking. Sorry op, but that discussion is very interesting, especially for us which used that crank