Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

"Project Hard Park"

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 09:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
I made a bracket that bolted to the bottom and to the chassis to stabilize it. Definitely wouldnt rely on just those two top bolts to support that dynamic load.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I made a bracket that bolted to the bottom and to the chassis to stabilize it. Definitely wouldnt rely on just those two top bolts to support that dynamic load.
Did you mount in the same rough location? Would you share an pictures?
Old May 19, 2017, 06:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Tried uploading an image to imgur from my phone so not sure if this will work

https://i.imgur.com/wM4ZJiZ.jpg

Mine is on driver side because I didn't want the heat of the muffler to mess with it, there's a ton more space, and the evap line is the same size as the ACD factory line. I just used that line to run the fluid forward instead of running a new line. Much cleaner
The following users liked this post:
V.8MR (May 19, 2017)
Old May 19, 2017, 06:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah I'm concerned about heat too. You may have convinced me. Frankly I only wanted to put it on passenger side because it seemed logical that it was the lighter side. But frankly I dont know for sure.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Looking good! If youre not concerned about corosion then that is absolutely a good stealth spot and nice to keep the weight out back and down low. But for me getting it off the front was part of why I wanted mine relocated but the other motivator was keeping it protected from the elements.

As far as flaring the lines, Im not sure the HF kit will be up to the task of producing a good flare for that size line. Not bashing HF but from my experience with the bare bones tubing flare kits, I tired using one I rented from AZ just bc it was zero risk and the flare no matter how many times I tried it, it never came out satisfactory.

The process is simple but it never worked for me. Id imagine the HF quality is right on par with the kit at AZ. Luckily one of my buddies had a similar kit in terns of style that he picked up off a tool truck years ago and wow what a difference. The first flare I did with it came out perfect.

There are some really nice kits out there but it was hard for me to justify the price for a couple silly flares. But you gotta do what you gotta do to get the job done. If you're willing to spend the money the Eastwood kit is supposedly really nice. The best one is by far the Mastercool hydraulic kind but its something like $400.

If I owned one I'd ship it out to you to borrow but unfortunately I do not so sorry!
Boy were u right... Been practicing on the OE ACD line without a vice, since ive got to do the evap line while its on the car. With the Harbor Freight kit, I have had 0 successful flares and even broke a wing nut on it...

Went out and bought a Ridgid model 345. First attempt I got what appears to be a perfect flare. So almost ready to finish relocation.

My TRE transfercase arrived. Looks like a piece of art like all Jons other work!

AND today I found a DC sport Ti front strut bar, finally. Cant wait to get it.

Been super busy at work. Drove down to Missouri for a night for work. 625 miles of driving in 24hrs And have 13hr shifts the next couple days. Good news is itll pay for the tcase and parts Ive ordered.

Old May 26, 2017, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts
Your build is fantastic! Great work
Old May 27, 2017, 09:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Thank you! Everytime I get something done, I find something new to do. Still have so much work ahead of me. Haven't even started on the motor yet but am gathering parts.

Cant wait to receive this bar. I get that its just a strut bar, and the stock one works just fine. But I love titanium, and its so light. Will weight the stock bar, vs both front and back DC ones once I get it.

Old May 27, 2017, 12:03 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
Yeah I'm concerned about heat too. You may have convinced me. Frankly I only wanted to put it on passenger side because it seemed logical that it was the lighter side. But frankly I dont know for sure.
Cross weighting our cars show the driver's side is actually lighter. With or without driver, I don't remember.
Old May 28, 2017, 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
Cross weighting our cars show the driver's side is actually lighter. With or without driver, I don't remember.
I really wish I had scales to figure this out as I go. The driver side(with driver in the car), plus seat, column, logically to me is heavier...
Old May 28, 2017, 10:14 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by V.8MR
I really wish I had scales to figure this out as I go. The driver side(with driver in the car), plus seat, column, logically to me is heavier...
I'm told it's because the engine is far to the passenger side. I suppose the exhaust kinda is and a few other parts.
Someone posted pics from their scales, but I don't know which thread it was.
Old May 28, 2017, 05:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Dont mistake corner load with corner weight (mass). One is a function of how hard and unbalanced the springs are pushing and the other is based off actual CG placement. You cant get real corner weight without a dynamic test.
Old May 28, 2017, 05:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Corner weight and CG is what I'm trying to figure out
Old May 28, 2017, 06:44 PM
kaj

You guys know what I mean. Like I said, it's just what I read here, unfortunately, I don't have a way to confirm.
Old May 28, 2017, 08:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
it's just what I read here, unfortunately
Bolded for truth

Physics of this is lost on most. Think about it this way, you can make any corner look way over loaded by just extending it. Setting anything specifically even doesn't fix this either because no combination of cross or side weight is actually even in mass.

Really, the best you can do is left vs right and front vs rear without finding car center of mass. Thats just not a realistic thing to look for so you have to make assumptions. We obviously know driver is a huge offset and engine is another.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Got the front strut bar. Amazingly light and solid built. The rear one is actually heavier. But front + rear is still 3lbs lighter than JUST the OE front steel bar.

Also got my Evospec (EvoDan) light weight idler pulley. Comes with titanium hardware and a ceramic bearing.

Front AND Rear DC Sport Ti bars

OE front strut bar.

Last edited by V.8MR; May 31, 2017 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: "Project Hard Park"