Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
That ratio rite is 12yrs old...LOL. I keep it clean though.

I use it mostly for draining tcase fluid into. Already had someone accuse me of ruining their tcase on a clutch job. Used the ratio rite to measure what I drained out while HE videoed it so he could see there was the proper amount of fluid in it. Was quite hilarious...
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Lol yeah mine is at least a dozen years old as well. I think I soaked something is gas in that thing and it turned all cloudy

And lol that's why Im glad Im not a mechanic bc people suck. Also why I do my own work. When sh*t hits the fan I've only got myself to blame.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 01:01 PM
EvoM Guru

I "mechanic" on the side. My m-f 9-5 "real job" pays my bills, mechanic pays for fun.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah Im doing it wrong. My "side" mechanic work is gf, family, friends, and coworkers which translates to "hey I need a new alternator can you do that for me?" "yeahhh sure no problem" it's sad that I think I spend more time fixing others people's car vs my own these days. Sucks being the one with the garage and tools. Wait nvm I love my garage haha
Old Nov 30, 2016, 01:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Easy solution is charge for it. If they value you as a friend, they'll be happy to pay you $40 or $50 an hour because you're still saving them a bunch of money. Maybe not your GF, and don't charge family a lot. But friends and coworkers are fair game.

LOL, thread derailed.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah you're probably right. If its a good friend I feel bad charging them for some stupid reason. Perhaps it's my way of paying it forward. And hell no not making the GF pay she can reimburse me in other ways

Aaaaand officially derailed. This is what I get for chiming into this thread with you in here, lol!
Old Nov 30, 2016, 08:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Allow me to assist in the further derailing and then "rerailing" of this thread.

Whenever my friends or coworkers find out about the amount of car work I've done in the garage, favors start coming down from random places

I found a way to slow the avalanche by telling them that I only work on cars on a "if I feel like it" basis. The gf gets VIP treatment, the boys get the "bring me food" treatment, everyone else gets the bill.

If a transfer case blows and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

In short, I installed the poly rear diff mounts and buschur mustache bar long before this problem appeared so it gave me some exposure to how much more noise would be added to the interior of the car and how it's supposed to sound like. I did install the Weir kit on the rear diff that came out of the car and a new Weir kit on the one that I installed this week.

The rear diff itself is much more quiet now, but the transfer case still sounds like a vegetable juicer under decel and in gear. This very well could have been the perfect storm or my rear diff was bad for a long time and I just recently found out .

I will say that after draining the TC, the fluid did look like the blown TC fluid example posted earlier. It also smelled like burning batteries. I'll post a video of it below.

In the mean time, here is a picture of the STM 4.5 inch intake filter. Fitment is perfect and it looks great in the engine bay. My old perrin filter would probably flow more air, but it was deteriorating from age and is not built for such a high level of boost. It starts to pull itself into the intake pipe after 30 psi.

-pal215

Last edited by Pal215; Nov 30, 2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:55 PM
EvoM Guru

So, the fluid out of the TC is a bad sign, HOWEVER, a truly bad TC "generally" makes noise all the time.**********

With poly rear diff mounts, you will almost always have gravelly blender sound on decel, just the way it is.

A bad tcase is going to be death whine, not the gravelly blender sound.

*********EDIT:

That fluid actually looks like the tcase had Jon's assembly lube in it. I would do another fluid change or two and see what comes out. I wasn't able to watch the video last night, I just assumed, my bad.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Dec 1, 2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

What pisses me off the most are like friends and coworkers who are like "oh I need to do brakes but I don't have the money to pay a mechanic can you just do them for me?"

It's not that I mind helping people out but its more the assumptive oh hey Eric can do them for me no big deal. Itll only take a couple hours. I have way too many things going on so a couple hours dinkin around with someone is a couple hours that I can't do other crap.

Anyway, so I too am starting to think that your xcase is fine and the noises are rear diff related as well. The fluid coming out dark is just the nature of the beast unless that stuff was like super fresh.

Xcase death whine is a high pitched always makes noise and gets louder with speed. That blender like sound on decel is exactly how my rear diff sounds and pretty much always has been the case ever since I went with a built diff and poly mounts.

Do you have a local evo buddy with a known quiet rear diff you could swap in to test? Im not too familiar with the Weir kit but I know Jon seems to think it's crap. I think with the poly mounts you're always going to have some noise but perhaps the kit you installed is causing this excessive noise?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 08:19 AM
EvoM Guru

That fluid actually looks like the tcase had Jon's assembly lube in it. I would do another fluid change or two and see what comes out. I wasn't able to watch the video last night, I just assumed, my bad.

Originally Posted by heel2toe
What pisses me off the most are like friends and coworkers who are like "oh I need to do brakes but I don't have the money to pay a mechanic can you just do them for me?"

It's not that I mind helping people out but its more the assumptive oh hey Eric can do them for me no big deal. Itll only take a couple hours. I have way too many things going on so a couple hours dinkin around with someone is a couple hours that I can't do other crap.

Anyway, so I too am starting to think that your xcase is fine and the noises are rear diff related as well. The fluid coming out dark is just the nature of the beast unless that stuff was like super fresh.

Xcase death whine is a high pitched always makes noise and gets louder with speed. That blender like sound on decel is exactly how my rear diff sounds and pretty much always has been the case ever since I went with a built diff and poly mounts.

Do you have a local evo buddy with a known quiet rear diff you could swap in to test? Im not too familiar with the Weir kit but I know Jon seems to think it's crap. I think with the poly mounts you're always going to have some noise but perhaps the kit you installed is causing this excessive noise?

That's exactly my issue, but my time is worth something. I generally only charge my friends like $20 an hour. Or like $100 a day if we're doing a major project on the car. Randoms get full price....lol

Jon does think the Weir kit is crap, because he's them come in broken and worn out with low miles....lol. However, they won't make the diff loud, the LSD will just stop working.

And yes, good point on the time the fluid has been in. My fluid looked bad in my pics after only 500 miles, which is bad. The longer the fluid is in the tcase, the ****tier it will start to look because of the ACD clutches. But it should be "relatively" clean after only 500-1k miles, unless it sill had Jon's assembly lube in it, which will give the oil a gray/black ****ty appearance because the assembly lube he uses is basically a Moly paste...lol

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Dec 1, 2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

How metallicy(not sure if thats a word) is the fluid? It perhaps may be just that.

When I first got my rear diff back from Jon after the pinion bearing failed my diff was super clunky, like more than normal. So I was paranoid that something was amiss so I drained the fluid fairly early on. What I found was a graphite like substance and was concerned and then Jon reassured me that was I was seeing is his assembly lube and it was probably stupid that I drained it. Its hard to tell from your picture as your fluid looks a normal brownish but perhaps its got some metallic speckle to it and all that is is his assembly lube. I didn't even consider that as I thought we determined that the xcase was used prior?

Anyway mine looked like this:
Name:  20150806_200953_zpsopegru4q.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  258.0 KB
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Very good info guys, the easiest thing to do from this point on is to post a video of the noise and see what you guys think. I'll try to get one tonight. The noise in question sounds nothing like the normal diff noise. That noise I am very familiar with. Its more like a loose gear sound mixed with high pitch grind.

Thanks for all your help!

-pal215
Old Dec 1, 2016, 07:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Recorded 2 videos of the noise today, hard to drive and record at the same time. Car is on jacks as of tonight. By tomorrow night I should have it fixed. The noise has now shown itself even during cruise, I must have made the tcase worse lol. Here is what a shaft sandwich sounds like XD:

-pal215
Old Dec 1, 2016, 07:47 PM
EvoM Guru

So guys,

how much oil is shared between the TC and Trans through that top hole ?

-pal215
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
I really hate to say I was right, yup TC. Exact same situation happen with me

Quick Reply: Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build