Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 08:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
RRE installed my AEM 320LPH pump. I think they reused the OEM wiring.
They probably used the harness that came with the pump as it's plug in play. You don't have to wire splice for the AEM 320LPH pump, so no heat shrink tubing should be needed anyway. Walbro 255, AEM 320, Treadstone 340, all those pumps are stock fitment pumps. It's the almighty and fat Walbro 450 that needs splicing and modification to the fuel pump hanger.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
They probably used the harness that came with the pump as it's plug in play. You don't have to wire splice for the AEM 320LPH pump, so no heat shrink tubing should be needed anyway. Walbro 255, AEM 320, Treadstone 340, all those pumps are stock fitment pumps. It's the almighty and fat Walbro 450 that needs splicing and modification to the fuel pump hanger.
I did rewire my power to get full 14V at pump hatch. Lol
Now I was at 104 IDC and after rewiring, AFR at 7000 RPM dropped to 10.1.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 02:06 PM
EvoM Guru

I did rewire my power to get full 14V at pump hatch. Lol
Now I was at 104 IDC and after rewiring, AFR at 7000 RPM dropped to 10.1.
Yeah, outside pump hatch, you don't have to worry about the effect of fuel on heat shrink (obviously). I have a voltage gauge wired in parallel to my pump. The truth is I only ever see 13.9v on a cold start and then it drops to 13.5v - 13.2v during cruise and I used a relay straight to the positive battery terminal. Stock evo's hit lower than 10's AFR on the factory map and pump lol. There is power to be had.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, outside pump hatch, you don't have to worry about the effect of fuel on heat shrink (obviously). I have a voltage gauge wired in parallel to my pump. The truth is I only ever see 13.9v on a cold start and then it drops to 13.5v - 13.2v during cruise and I used a relay straight to the positive battery terminal. Stock evo's hit lower than 10's AFR on the factory map and pump lol. There is power to be had.
I have four 16-awg tefzel wires in addition to stock 13-awg (not sure if 12 or 14-awg) from 2 separate relays connected to battery separately with 10-awg. On ground side, I added six 16-awg tefzel wires to the stock.
When I get my car running again, I can test voltage with DMM since I have a tap at the connection. But on my analog gauge, I see at least 14V.

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Apr 11, 2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:00 AM
EvoM Guru

I have four 16-awg tefzel wires in addition to stock 13-awg (not sure if 12 or 14-awg) from 2 separate relays connected to battery separately with 10-awg. On ground side, I added six 16-awg tefzel wires to the stock.
When I get my car running again, I can test voltage with DMM since I have a tap at the connection. But on my analog gauge, I see at least 14V.
Nice work! That's one way of doing it. If you can see 14 volts at the battery while the car is running, then it's totally possible. I usually don't.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:10 AM
EvoM Guru

I finished installing the ACT 6 puck sprung clutch and prolight flywheel tonight. I just put 30 miles on them and so far I love this setup! No noise at all and engagement is actually smooth. Maybe once I get stuck in traffic it will become rough, but so far it's smoother than the exedy triple disk believe it or not. Pedal pressure is softer than I thought and there is actually a large window to slip the clutch despite what people say. Maybe all this will change once my 500 mile break in is done, but i'm going to be honest with you guys...it's easy to drive on. Who knows, maybe i'm biased because I daily drove on an crazy clutch for months.

I am very happy with the results right now.
The following users liked this post:
2006EvoIXer (Apr 12, 2018)
Old Apr 12, 2018, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Nice work! That's one way of doing it. If you can see 14 volts at the battery while the car is running, then it's totally possible. I usually don't.
I get 14.1V at battery when running.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 06:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
I finished installing the ACT 6 puck sprung clutch and prolight flywheel tonight. I just put 30 miles on them and so far I love this setup! No noise at all and engagement is actually smooth. Maybe once I get stuck in traffic it will become rough, but so far it's smoother than the exedy triple disk believe it or not. Pedal pressure is softer than I thought and there is actually a large window to slip the clutch despite what people say. Maybe all this will change once my 500 mile break in is done, but i'm going to be honest with you guys...it's easy to drive on. Who knows, maybe i'm biased because I daily drove on an crazy clutch for months.

I am very happy with the results right now.
I was interested to see if you got any noise on decel and I'm glad you don't. I don't have that exact clutch but I have a Comp Stage 3 (segmented ceremetallic disc) and Ultra Light flywheel and my car makes a bunch of decel rattle noise although a little less with solid driveshaft bushings now. Also, I agree with your thoughts on driveability and engagement window. The only times it's annoying is in parking lots due to bucking and if someone else drives my car I have to tell them to give it more gas than they think otherwise they'll stall it. Again, glad you're noise free and enjoying the new clutch!
Old Apr 12, 2018, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Giving more gas is typical with all lighter flywheels. I wonder how long these pucks will last considering how much torque your engines have.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 08:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by terror rising
I was interested to see if you got any noise on decel and I'm glad you don't. I don't have that exact clutch but I have a Comp Stage 3 (segmented ceremetallic disc) and Ultra Light flywheel and my car makes a bunch of decel rattle noise although a little less with solid driveshaft bushings now. Also, I agree with your thoughts on driveability and engagement window. The only times it's annoying is in parking lots due to bucking and if someone else drives my car I have to tell them to give it more gas than they think otherwise they'll stall it. Again, glad you're noise free and enjoying the new clutch!
It's a huge relief. The ACT prolight flywheel is actually still heavy enough to where you don't have to give it so much gas in order to prevent the stalling. My exedy triple was loud during decel and loud as hell between shifts. Also, when the AC was running, you could hear a clackering/rattle noise, probably from the adapter spline hub against the friction disks. A single disk of some configuration is no doubt in my mind a much better setup for 95% of the people out there who daily drive their car. My car is just breaking 500ftlb trq so there was no reason for me to go Exedy triple other than future proofing my build. What I didn't anticipate was just how bad that clutch was to daily drive on, a hard lesson learned.

What also made me curious was someone else on here stated that when they first installed the 6 puck, it bucked and juddered like crazy making for a very rough engagement which later smoothed out. I have had smooth engagement thus far and the drive to work this morning was very pleasant. I once drove someones 240sx with a 4 puck unsprung disk and super lightweight aluminum flywheel. That flywheel had no inertia in it at all. It was horrible to drive. I had to rev it to 3k or else the car wouldn't move.

Giving more gas is typical with all lighter flywheels. I wonder how long these pucks will last considering how much torque your engines have.
True. I'm seeing claims of up to 60,000 miles on the 6 puck. We can't say for sure though because we don't know how much the clutch is actually used during each persons commute. We could get 200,000 miles out of a 6-puck if it was all freeway driving haha.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Yet again, every update you post is informative and in detail.
Can you post a video of a 2-3-4th pull ?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mines5
Yet again, every update you post is informative and in detail.
Can you post a video of a 2-3-4th pull ?

Thanks! I'm just trying to shed some light to point people in the right direction. Absolutely, the clutch isn't broken in yet, but I can post a video of regular driving sometime soon.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 08:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Almost at 400 miles now on the new clutch combo and I have driven in all traffic conditions. Functionality is still smooth and no issues to report thus far. I can't wait to get on it.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Fun update...my car has recently had a difficult time starting. We're talking 10 seconds of cranking to cold start, even if I manually prime the fuel pump. In addition to this, my fuel pressure in the rail was dropping much too quickly after I turned the car off. After carefully thinking about what could have gone wrong, I decided to test my injectors first. Sure enough, I found that my #4 injector was leaking. How did I test this you might ask?

After doing a bunch of things "right" all the time, ghetto a$$ risky garage BS might flutter across my mind every now and then. These ideas usually result in what I was looking for, but not without some pretty epic fails. Imagine what a zip tie could do? Enjoy.

Real Test:

Bloopers:
Fail #1

Fail #2
Old Apr 20, 2018, 08:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Lol good find. The bloopers made me lol...haha

Quick Reply: Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build