Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build

Old Aug 29, 2018, 02:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Did a little car washing last night, but spent most of the time on a car that my friend picked up the same day. Some idiot thought it was a good idea to tint the engine bay window......WHYY?? So we spent two hours with rubbing alcohol and goo gone to clean up all the leftover adhesive from the tint film. This car needs no introduction and strangely enough I have another friend who is picking his up tonight. I'm hearing they kinda decided to get them at the same time.....lets see who's is better.

Last edited by Pal215; Aug 29, 2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 02:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
The NSX is a real beauty!! Lovely car!!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 04:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
These models are ever green. Ahead of time.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Kevin Troy
The NSX is a real beauty!! Lovely car!!
Originally Posted by mines5
These models are ever green. Ahead of time.

Agreed, and they look so exotic rolling around. Exhaust note is great too!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

I've been up to a few projects to further refine my car. The rusty FP manifold was getting to me and made me regret not getting it coated when I ordered it. I had to do something about it.

Por15 is a high temp manifold coating that gets applied and baked on for a hard coating and seal. I soaked the manifold in PB plaster for a few hours to break loose all the rust, agitated it with a wire brush, then cleaned it off with engine degreaser. After that I used rubbing alcohol and dabbed it all over the manifold to get it ready for paint. Compressed air was the final cleaning step to get rid of any paper towel fibers left on the mani.

Paint was brushed on, cured for 24 hours, second coat was applied, sat again for 24 hours, then baked at 300 degrees for 20 minutes.

The Por 15 only cost me 20 bucks and I still have a ton left. It's been a few days now with this coating with zero signs of failure.

^ You'll also see that I mounted a -10AN vibrant check valve at the driver side valve cover opening to help keep consistent idle speed (it actually helps).

In the near future I plan to upgrade my head unit to one with a larger screen and add a trunk pop solenoid for key fob trunk entry. I didn't want to go double din because of the angle that the screen sits at and I like where the HVAC controls are now. I also wanted a head unit with an external accessory controller so I can have touch screen on/off command over my fuel pump, accent lights, door mirrors (foreshadowing), cooling fans, Car PC, and more. As long as you can relay it, the sky is the limit.

Before I could add even more circuits to the car, I desperately needed to revisit my cable management system. I reorganized the hell out of it!

...muuccchh better. The box mounted at the bottom is a ground noise loop isolator to keep my gauges (especially the aem wideband) from feeding noise into my speakers.

and i'll just leave this right here for now....

Last edited by Pal215; Sep 24, 2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
I thought my wiring under my dash was bad.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 01:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
I thought my wiring under my dash was bad.
This is what happens when cable management is lazy LOL
Old Sep 24, 2018, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
WTF are we looking at here? Your engine bay looks clean and tidy and then you show us that picture! Lay off the booze before you wire next time! Looking much better; I cant even look at the other picture
Old Sep 24, 2018, 02:54 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
the butt to butt on that fuse tap is my favorite part . Nice clean up job though, I dig the diy power distribution. If you want to add in fuses at some point I like using these.

Amazon Amazon

Old Sep 24, 2018, 03:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
WTF are we looking at here? Your engine bay looks clean and tidy and then you show us that picture! Lay off the booze before you wire next time! Looking much better; I cant even look at the other picture
HAhaha right? It must have been one hell of a night too because I can't remember when I put that botched mess together.

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
the butt to butt on that fuse tap is my favorite part . Nice clean up job though, I dig the diy power distribution. If you want to add in fuses at some point I like using these.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...ribution+block

Thanks, I should have done it a long time ago. Wow, those are very neat! I love it when wires and terminals line up like that. Reminds me of cable management inside a gaming PC. Then there's the almighty server rooms that you see at big corporations.....i will never go near those XD
Old Sep 24, 2018, 03:38 PM

I knew some guys making bank just doing wax thread cable lacing in data centers.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is where we started

Hopefully my pictures show up but a buddy of mine and I had the task of straightening up one of our mdf rooms a couple years ago. It's not the prettiest I've ever seen but it's the best cable management job I've ever done.
To the right are the patch panels, behind all the wiring is the switch they plug into. I went through and labeled out where every port of the patch panel went into the switch and we labeled and replaced every cable. We probably had 150 hour into this one room There were 2 more just like it
​​​​​​
​​​​​​I've since gone through my Evo and cleaned up the engine bay harness at least and my audio wiring is nicely tucked away now.

Last edited by cerevo; Sep 25, 2018 at 07:05 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by cerevo
This is where we started

Hopefully my pictures show up but a buddy of mine and I had the task of straightening up one of our mdf rooms a couple years ago. It's not the prettiest I've ever seen but it's the best cable management job I've ever done.
To the right are the patch panels, behind all the wiring is the switch they plug into. I went through and labeled out where every port of the patch panel went into the switch and we labeled and replaced every cable. We probably had 150 hour into this one room There were 2 more just like it
​​​​​​
​​​​​​I've since gone through my Evo and cleaned up the engine bay harness at least and my audio wiring is nicely tucked away now.
Soooo much better. Aside from the obvious problems with whats going on in the messy pic, I have worked in places where its so bad that "black market" or unpaid for undocumented interconnects start popping up. Never would have even thought that would/could be a thing but it happens. Obviously in co-locations, but IP theft is real too.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Holy crap! What a nightmare that room must have been. My first approach would be to create an epic music playlist and get into the most comfy clothes. Those 150+ hours don't go by harmlessly.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Soooo much better. Aside from the obvious problems with whats going on in the messy pic, I have worked in places where its so bad that "black market" or unpaid for undocumented interconnects start popping up. Never would have even thought that would/could be a thing but it happens. Obviously in co-locations, but IP theft is real too.
Yeah we have to monitor any work done in our Colo room, usually telcos schedule that work out anyway so we know it's legit.

I didn't get to change into other than what I wear to work, it was a memorable time for sure though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build