Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Barno's 2012 GSR E85 2.2l T4 Build

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Barno's 2012 GSR E85 2.2l T4 Build

Hey everyone. I've been on this forum for awhile but never made a build thread. I'm finally moving away from stock turbo and putting on some big boy pants.

Here's what the car has done after a few different changes in the past:

Engine
MAP Darton Sleeved 2.2l Overbore
Buschur PnP head
1mm oversized valves
Tomei procam 270s
GSC Beehive Springs
MAP H11 Studs

Performance
Stock Turbo
Grimspeed 3-port
AGP Intake
AGP LICP
MAP UICP
ETS Open Dump Downpipe
Turbosmart Dual Port BOV
Omni 4 Bar
AEM 320 E85 pump
Depo Test Pipe
AEM Fuel Rail
Fuel Lab FPR
MAP Fuel Feed kit
Greddy Ti-c Exhaust
Mishimoto Oil Cooler
Driven Fab Catch Can
Boomba Engine Mounts

Drivetrain
TWN Shifter Cage and Bushings
Shep Trans Street/Strip Transmission
QM 8-leg Clutch
MAP Evo 8/9 CMC Kit
Driveshaft Carrier Bushings
Suspension
Swift Spec-R Springs

Appearance
Cosmis Racing MR7 18x10 +25mm
Hankook Evo Tires 275-35-18
RallyArmor Mudflaps
Ebay LED Tail lights
JDM Foglight Delete
Driven Fab Power Steering Reservoir
Ebay Rear Lip
Rexpeed Side Skirt Extensions
Rexpeed R-Style Front Lip
CQuartz Ceramic Coat

Misc.
CP-E Gauge Pod
AEM: WB AFR, Oil Pressure, Boost Pressure
Ortiz Gauge Cluster Pod (empty for now)
Broadway Mirror

Parts En Route
ETS T4 Twin Scroll Kit
PTE 6466
Walbro 450
Easy Performance PWM Pump Controller
ARP 625+ Head Studs
AEM Fuel Pressure Gauge

The beginning...

I graduated from Penn-State in Dec 2011 and being in PA at the time, I knew I wanted a performance car that could handle winter well. That left me with the 2 obvious options. The fact that the WRX/STI to Evo ratio is heavily skewed, I went with our beloved X. Plus inline 4s make me happy. I searched for exactly what I wanted. Octane Blue, Leather interior, SSL, Sunroof, no navigation. There were 3 new in the country, so I had it shipped from Chicago to PA sight unseen. She showed up with 12 miles on the clock.

At the dealership

Name:  Dealer.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  69.2 KB

She's home!

Name:  Driveway.jpg
Size:  269.3 KB

I immediately started modding the car. Hell, I actually installed Rally Armor mudflaps in the driveway before I even drove the thing.

Time went by and I modded the car to Cobb Stage 3+ EBCS with a competition stage 3 clutch and Shep street/strip trans. I trusted the OTS maps too much and after believing that the CEL flashes were phantom knock, the car cracked a ring land.

The carnage that told me something wasn't peachy

Name:  Smashed%20Plug.jpg
Size:  156.1 KB

The cylinder

Name:  Cylinder.jpg
Size:  91.1 KB

Although I never had any plans of doing it, I decided to build the engine. I wanted to build it once to be able to handle anything I could conjure up in the future. I went with Buschur's head and a MAP 2.2l overbore.

Name:  Head.jpg
Size:  161.2 KB

Name:  Block.jpg
Size:  174.5 KB

It's a damn shame that the QM 8 leg isn't seen when installed. It's a beautiful clutch.

Name:  Engine.jpg
Size:  155.2 KB

A few mods and what-not later, here's how she sits. E85, Stock turbo. The car is pretty well built and I haven't yet 'justified' my build since I'm still stock turbo. I've been having head gasket issues since the build so that lowed my turbo upgrade process.

Name:  1029161847.jpg
Size:  137.6 KB

After a paint correction and ceramic coating. No lie, this image hasn't been touched or anything. No filters or anything. I'm super proud of my work on this paint.

Name:  Paint%20Correction.jpg
Size:  173.4 KB

Like many of the 2.2l builds, I can't keep a head gasket on this thing. I blew out the Cosworth I installed with the build and that was replaced with a Cometic fall of 2016. I just recently blew out the Cometic. After talking some things over with my tuner TJ, we decided to give another Cometic a try along with swapping the MAP H11s out for ARP 625s.

When I went to the engine shop to true up the head, the evo guru there said he'd really like to see the head o-ringed since it's a 2.2l 4b11t. I don't recall anyone trying that on a 2.2l so I'm going for it. He said anything over 30psi he o-rings. He's done a lot of o-ringed X heads and doesn't have any issues after the fact. The head is currently o-ringed at the shop waiting for me to pick it up. Let's hope this thing holds.

Oh, P.S., look out for this stupid rivet on the Cometic Gasket...

Name:  Rivet.jpg
Size:  162.0 KB

Now for the reason I made this thread. I jumped at the opportunity to pick up a T4 6466 kit. The 6466 is pretty overkill for what I'm wanting but there's no way I could pass up the deal. I've also ordered a Walbro 450 and Easy Performance PWM. I may end up running a Boost-a-Pump eventually but I don't want to completely destroy my underwear the first time I rip on this setup. I'll be happy for now limited by the Wally 450 I'm sure.

Progress is coming along on the head and turbo kit install. Here is the head with orings installed.

Name:  0626171856.jpg
Size:  301.6 KB

Name:  0626171856a.jpg
Size:  202.6 KB

At this moment, the Wally 450 is in the mail along with a turbo blanket and inline turbo oil feed filter.. I'll be wiring the PWM and fuel pressure gauge tomorrow.

Here's the wrap job my girl did for the exhaust components. She's really crafty and meticulous so it was the perfect project for her. She's now 95% fiberglass but the parts look great!

Name:  0628171805.jpg
Size:  333.0 KB

This is where the car sits now. It feels so good to own an engine bay that looks like this.

Name:  0630171857.jpg
Size:  376.8 KB

The car got buttoned back up on Saturday. Just awaiting the new map and I'll be able to fire it up to check for leaks and adjust the PWM. I converted the BOV to full recirc after I took this picture.

Here is the new fuel pressure gauge set up in the Ortiz pod.

Future plans:
Maybe a gen 2 gtx3582 or an EFR 8374/9174
Coilover setup
Sway bars
Evo 8/9 rear diff swap
Old Jul 10, 2017, 04:40 PM

Reserved 1
Old Jul 10, 2017, 04:40 PM

Reserved 2
Old Jul 10, 2017, 04:41 PM

Reserved 3
Old Jul 10, 2017, 04:42 PM

I started the car today and when for a cruise. The car runs great just cruising. I can tell that this turbo really wants to bite so I'm excited to give it some boost soon.

Some odd things though:

I shimmed the oil pump while the car was apart and today I haven't noticed any change in oil psi. I have no thoughts as to why there wasn't a change.

I'm also getting a decent amount of air pulsation out of the oil cap and my catch can is steaming at idle. This was before the car saw any driving at all. Is this common on built cars? Maybe it's still just moisture from the car sitting for a bit?

I'm really pumped to see what this turbo will do.