Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

CK4A to Evo 4 Build PH

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2022, 04:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile CK4A to Evo 4 Build PH

I am reposting this here from the newbie thread (link here) as I feel that this is the proper section for this post.

I purchased a 1997 Mitsubishi Lancer GLXI (or Mirage 5th gen on other countries) in 2018 with the intent of slowly building it to be an Evo 4.
My plan is to use a CM5A 4WD and use a 4G63T from an Airtrek or an Evo 4 - 9.
It may not be as good as a real evo but it should be good enough to my liking.

Here are the specs so far:

Engine
Stock 4G92a SOHC Engine
F5M41 Manual Transmission (or at least from what I know)
K&N Universal Air Filter (76 mm)
Evo 4 Coolant Reservoir
Aftermarket 2 rows full aluminum radiator (unknown manufacturer)

Brakes
Evo 6 Brake booster (or at least believe it is as it came from an Evo 6 build)
PHDM GSR (CJ/Lancer Coupe) Rear disc brakes with ABS deleted

Wheels and Tires
Rota Grid 4x100 15x6.5 ET38 (wheel-size.com was a great help on getting the estimated fitting)
Yokohama BluEarth 195/60 R15

Exterior
Evo 4 Hood
Evo 4 Wing and Trunk

Interior
Aftermarket steering wheel
HKB Steering Wheel Boss Kit
Aftermarket pedals

I already have the following:
Evo 4 gussets
Evo 4 Nosecut (Nose Frame, Intercooler and pipes, Oil cooler, Power steering cooler, Aux Fan)
Intake, Turbo and Intercooler pipes

I also have ordered fiberglass copies of the Evo 4 bumper, fender and chin. The bumper and the chin are already made.
The fenders are still pending. Once all three are done, I will be ordering fiberglass copies of the side skirts and the rear bumper extensions.

The following 2 users liked this post by ck4a_evo4:
codgi (Apr 25, 2022), osetsky (May 18, 2022)
Old May 17, 2022, 09:41 PM

The front bumper, lip and fenders all arrived a few weeks back. However, I haven't gotten them installed yet. It might take a while before I do, as the wiring of the Lancer (messy wiring with relays just everywhere) still needs to be fixed. Once that is done, I will have the nose frame changed and these will be installed.

The following users liked this post:
osetsky (May 18, 2022)
Old Jun 8, 2022, 08:35 AM

Quick update, I was able to acquire an OEM Evo 4 bumper which means there will be a change of plans. I will no longer use my fiberglass front bumper but instead the OEM Evo 4 bumper. It has a couple of issues that needs to be addressed. The upper and lower bumper plates, as well as the bumper reinforcement, has been eaten away by rust. Most of the bolts were also corroded to the point that bolt heads are missing. I will be posting pictures of it tomorrow.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 09:37 AM

It took me days to upload the pictures but here it is. There is a lot of clean up and repair that needs to be done but nevertheless, I am enthusiastic.

I don't what these are but these will have to go.

The upper and lower support plates, as the bumper reinforcement, needs work. The lower plate could be repaired but I do not think that it is worth doing that on the upper plate and on the bumper reinforcement.

Mock up of the fiberglass chin pieces on the OEM bumper. The chin needs some work for it to fit flush.

Overall, I am hopeful with the whole build. I still need get someone that could mount that frame into my Lancer and another person to clean up the wiring. I also have some FTO brake parts that will be arriving in a few months.
I will be using the FTO brakes as a temporary set up just for me to get the car converted to 5 lug.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:46 PM

I have just gotten a hold of OZ Racing F1s that came from an Evo 4. These are 16x6.5 ET46. I still need to get them refurbished. Once my FTO brakes have arrived, these will get a fresh set of tires.

Old Jun 15, 2022, 08:20 AM

I also got a hold of OEM door visors. I am missing a clip but it shouldn't be that hard to fabricate a few.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 05:09 AM

My FTO brakes have arrived but the dust shields were bent during the shipping process. The bushings also needs to be replaced and the rotors needs to be resurfaced (or I may have to replace them totally).
I hope that the bearings are still good.

I already have sent the rims to be refurbished. They should be back after 2 weeks. I will be posting the pictures of the FTO brake set I have purchased.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 06:11 AM

As promised, here is the picture of the FTO brake set. A lot of work has to be done on these. I will have to wait for the rims to be finished then I can move on these after.
Comments are appreciated.

Old Jul 23, 2022, 04:54 PM

Update: My OZ Racing F1s are now refurbished and installed. The FTO brakes were also put in place. So far it looks good. My Evo is slowly taking shape.
For those who are thinking of using the FTO brakes for 5 lug conversion, the bearing on the wheel hubs are the same with the Galant GTI (I still have to get the exact generation and model but that should give you a clue).

This should be it by now. I am running out of funds. I would take a while before my next update.

The following 2 users liked this post by ck4a_evo4:
osetsky (Jul 24, 2022), SoSoEVO (Jul 25, 2022)
Old Jul 25, 2022, 08:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Wheels look mint, great job!
The following users liked this post:
ck4a_evo4 (Jul 26, 2022)