Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

eightysicEvoX Project Build

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eightysicEvoX Project Build

So after almost a decade of looking at other people's build threads and wanting to start my own for so long, I finally decided its time I start my own thread.

Here's the story. I've always loved cars as a kid and once I saw the red APR Evo in tokyo drift, I fell in love with evos and was my childhood dream car after I rode in my cousin's bf's (at the time) brand new tarmac black evo 8 back in 05 and my mom's boss's son's brand new wicked white evo X back in 08 at her company bbq, I knew what I wanted to get myself into (or at least tried to) as soon as I could drive. Unfortunately being a 16 year old, I couldn't afford one and there was no way in hell my parents would buy me a car. I've always envied and looked up to people with Evos so even if I couldn't get one, I wanted to know everything about them and studied every detail of them. Of course being 16, once all your friends started having cool cars, you would want something cool too so I bought my first car from working my first job in high school which was a white 1986 Mazda RX7 FC3S. But I'm not here to talk about that, we'll save that for another day lol.

eightysicEvoX Project Build-ehmzrjk.jpg

Even though I didn't have an evo, I always loved how the evo 8 enkeis looked so I picked up a set and put em on the FC LOL. I also thought about building a Evo 4/5/6 replica using a mirage but at the time, a family friend of mine offered me his first car and project for a good deal which was the Rx7 so I acquired that from him.

Fast forward to 2015, After my second year in college and working on the side selling car parts for my friend's shop, I saved up a good chunk of money for a down payment and I knew what I wanted to pickup, a Evo 8/9, specifically an 8 MR in graphite grey or wicked white. I told my parents that I had a down for a car and that I can pay them every month if I could use their credit to help me finance one. My parents agreed but of course they had to approve of what I'm getting. I told them I wanted this 4 door Mitsubishi and they automatically agreed cause it was a 4 door sedan LOL. I showed my dad a couple listings of a few Evo 8's that I found and he said they looked reasonable for the price, but when he found out what year the car was, he said "Are you stupid? You want to pay $20,000 for a 10 year old car? Lets go get you a brand new Corolla" So that was a No-Go, had to find something newer so I started looking around for a Evo X. I didn't really think I could afford a X at the time so I didn't bother to look at first. After looking around online, I saw a low mileage, adult owned, 2011 wingless Octane Blue Evo X GSR.

eightysicEvoX Project Build-gridewd.jpg

I knew any blue evo is super rare and hard to find and a wingless one made it even better since it doesn't draw as much attention and won't make my parents think it's a race car. I called the dealership to find out if it was still available. Turns out it was and it was just traded in and put on the lot, however they said they were getting calls left and right and there were a couple of other people interested in it and wanted to check it out. But since it was a dealership in the middle of nowhere, a lot of people couldn't go until the weekend since it was 80 miles outside of the city. I made the trip out to the dealership with my parents the very next day to see the car. I didn't have very high hopes at first but surprisingly they gave us a very good deal on it, however they wouldn't let the car go without the service and extended warranty even when I already knew I wouldn't be using it since I had a lot of friends in the car industry, but being really excited to get a Evo, I just didn't care and found myself signing my life away and the next thing I knew I drove it off the lot and straight to go show my friends having the time of my life with my first boosted car LOL

eightysicEvoX Project Build-cvjwqr0.jpg
Est. 8/6/15

My friends all thought I wasn't serious and thought I was just borrowing somebody else's car since I was always seen in a different car from working on them or doing installs at my house but they all freaked out and wasn't expecting it when I showed them the invoice haha

Anyways, thats the first of my thread. Just thought I should share and introduce my story. This is how it looks currently.
eightysicEvoX Project Build-aoluxos.jpg
Old Dec 14, 2017, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking good man! My first car was also an FC! I could go on for hours about FCs so it's understandable not getting into THAT on the thread hahaha.
Is there anything you're looking to do to the car now or in the near future?
The following users liked this post:
TotoroX (Dec 15, 2017)
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Aristocrat Dave
Looking good man! My first car was also an FC! I could go on for hours about FCs so it's understandable not getting into THAT on the thread hahaha.
Is there anything you're looking to do to the car now or in the near future?
Haha Thanks! Yeah, once you're a rotorhead, always a rotorhead I'm in the process of building another FC actually. As for the Evo though, planning for more power but i'm not sure when yet, car might get some work done soon though since I have a few more things planned for the exterior.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:47 AM

So i'm going to be posting some more photos of the time I've had the car up to now so bear with me, some more stock photos coming your way and the different looks its been through.

eightysicEvoX Project Build-a8ysmik.jpg
So when I first got the car, it was wingless with a rexpeed paint matched duckbill. Upon purchasing the car, the dealership had OEM high rise wing that the previous owner gave with it with a rexpeed paint matched gurney flap attached as well. The car also came with a few aftermarket goods including an Injen intake, ETS UICP and LICP as well as an ETS V2 Quiet Exhaust.

I was planning to keep it wingless as I do like the clean and subtle look, but in the end, it's an Evo, the tall wing is necessary and my friends convinced me otherwise so I put it back on.
eightysicEvoX Project Build-fmfp0nz.jpg
Now it looks more at home doesn't it?

Peep* that FC in the front though, another project i'm working on.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 01:10 AM

eightysicEvoX Project Build-xltfndy.jpg
One of the first things I did when I got the car was install this ARC Titanium Shift Knob I had bought 2 years prior to owning the car. I got a great deal on it that I couldn't pass up knowing I would save it for the future Evo I would own. You can never go wrong on a nice shift knob to improve that shifting feel and the looks. I thought it was perfect and just what the interior needed.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:32 AM

Throwback to when I took this car for it's first touge run with friends. Really got to get a good feel of the car and the difference of awd compared to rwd and fwd from the cars ive owned and driven. Took some time to get used to but it gave me a good idea on how the car handled and what kind of direction I wanted to go in terms of handling and the driving experience.
eightysicEvoX Project Build-1qdt30b.jpg
eightysicEvoX Project Build-iwcjijt.jpg
eightysicEvoX Project Build-hrrsfpx.jpg
Old Dec 25, 2017, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Looks much better with the rear wing and those TE37s. What specs are the wheels?
Old Dec 25, 2017, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by uzumaki
Looks much better with the rear wing and those TE37s. What specs are the wheels?
Thanks! They're 18x10.5 +15