Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Jimmy's Anti-Retirement

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 06:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jimmy's Anti-Retirement

Hi, my name is Jimmy and I have an addiction....

I started this on the other forum but want to try and soak up all the info on this platform that I can so I'm documenting it here too.
I've got big plans, a small budget, and even less knowledge. Grab a chair, make some popcorn, we should be in for some laughs on this one.

I'm coming from a full bolt on 05 sti, and then an E60 M5. So needless to say, this nearly stock Evo feels about as fast as a shopping cart.
Step 1 is to make it go fast before it looks fast. Step 2 is send Work and Varis half my life savings to make it look like rolling sex.

I placed an order with ETS to try and fix the slow. The goal is to hopefully see numbers similar to the M5 (500/380) while remaining on pump 93, but we'll see on this stock block.

The plan (for now) is as follows
T4 Twin Scroll EFR 8374 EWG 1.05A/R kit
ETS 4" MAF intake
ETS 3.5" intercooler
1300CC injectors
DW 340lph
Meth?
And probably a clutch so I'm not just sitting making noise

I know next to nothing about this 4B11T platform and am really excited to learn all I can. Any suggestions in terms of parts to pick up, parts to avoid, shops and tuners to contact etc are more than greatly appreciated. Distance from me isn't an issue. I'd rather drive a few hours to the right shop than be close to DILLIGAF Auto.

Pics uploaded as soon as I'm not lazy, but in the meantime, Happy New Year everyone!

****UPDATE****
Spoke with the shop, they suggested a DW65 and Exedy stage 2 to go with the kit, so add that to the list of things to come.

Also managed to snag a Forever Driven triple pod from Tex and picked up some gauges to put in it so I can get confused by all the flashy lights and be overwhelmed by a bunch of info I don't need nor have an idea what any of it means.

I'll have to buy the UPS driver some beer or something, he's going to be here a lot in the near future.

*********EDIT*********
Listing all parts here for convenience sake

Go Fast:
Tomei ExpremeTi
ETS Intercooler
ETS 3.5" Intake
ETS manifold
Twin scroll T4 BorgWarner 8374 1.05A/R EWG
TiAl wastegates
ID1300CC injectors
DW65C fuel pump
Exedy stage 2 clutch
CBRD tune

Interior:
TommyKaira Titan Baby shift knob
Status Racing Spa seats
Planted seat brackets

Exterior:
Varis Super Taikyu front bumper(carbon)
Varis +8MM front fender
Varis Super Taikyu side skirts(carbon)
Varis V2 Rear bumper
Varis Rear diffuser(carbon)
Do-Luck duckbill trunk(carbon)
RallyArmor mudflaps

Wheels:
Work S13P 19x10.5 +17F 19x10.5 +10R

Suspension:
Fortune Auto 510 with air piston

Last edited by JimmyGSR; Feb 16, 2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I look forward to reading about your build!
Old Jan 12, 2018, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by butte
I look forward to reading about your build!
Thanks, I look forward to seeing the results!

I'm a fan of the simple interior the car came with, but wanted to make a few minor tweaks. I started with a TommyKaira titan baby shift knob in the burnt titanium finish. It's an absolutely beautiful piece and I almost don't even want to use it, but with the weight it really makes a difference in shift feel. I also added a CF piece for the steering wheel to cover the out of place silver trim. I've been toying with the idea of adding a radio and then either flocking or wrapping the dash in suede, but other than that I think the interior is just about complete. Got a long weekend this weekend so I'll get that trim piece installed and snap some pics.

Everything for go fast has been lined up. Turbo kit should be shipped out at the end of the month. IC should be here within the next week or two. Then its off to see what the car can do!

Oh and speaking of go fast, gotta give a big shout out to ETS for being as patient as they have been with me so far. I've made about a dozen calls trying to rearrange details and fix my mistakes, so a big thank you to Robert and everyone else at ETS. Robert just seems to always be lucky enough to get stuck with me. Sorry man haha.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:30 AM

Double post.... Musta been drunk. Or dumb. Or both.

Last edited by JimmyGSR; Jan 14, 2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 07:57 PM

Update! And a freaking good one at that.

Intercooler arrived. Got it in the anodized gold and it looks great. Hoping the turbo kit comes in this month so I can send it off to have everything installed.

Also placed an order for a whole bunch of Varis parts and those sexy Work wheels I've wanted for some time now. I won't have pictures for a while buuuuut I'm too excited not to share. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from Status racing on some seats and then everything minus suspension is basically squared away. Wasn't supposed to happen this quick but what the hell is a timeline for if not laughs?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
I see you have in your sig CBRD , are you having them tune your car ? They are a great shop , didn’t have them tune my car but Chad the owner is great to work with, I bought my BBK-3b from him. So you said you have a limited budget, but you have quite the parts list with quality stuff lol ,good luck with the build and look forward to seeing your results. Your car with that setup should beat a e60 m5, my friend had one and my evo was definitely faster with my bolt ons of course.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 06:03 PM

^Yep, Chad and the crew over there will be my go to for everything go fast related. I've heard nothing but great things about the shop, and like you mentioned Chad has been great to work with, so I'm really looking forward to getting the car to them. I'm excited to see what it ends up putting down and happy to hear I shouldnt have a problem hitting my goal, but I know that even if I don't and its slower than the M was, I'll enjoy it more. I would get in that monster and wonder what would need to be fixed by the time I got out of the damn thing. And sadly enough, most of the time I wasn't wrong to wonder. Its a good thing it sounded the way it did...

But yeah, you definitely got me there. This project got out of hand real quick haha. It looks like this will serve as both a way to document the progress on the car, and since I'm officially broke now, to see how long a fully grown adult can survive off of ramen noodles and rice. If I don't respond to this in the next few months you can safely assume I have succumb to starvation and am happily laying dead in a puddle of drool next to my car.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 07:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Glad the intercooler arrived and you like it! That turbo kit should leave today or tomorrow. They are just finishing it up.

- Robert
Old Jan 29, 2018, 07:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post up some pictures please.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
Glad the intercooler arrived and you like it! That turbo kit should leave today or tomorrow. They are just finishing it up.

- Robert
Thanks Robert I appreciate the update! And thanks again for everything, especially your patience.

Originally Posted by oblivionis
Post up some pictures please.
I can only tease with a shot of the intercooler as of now. I'll certainly be whoring out some of the finest shots ever taken on a camera phone of this age once the rest of it comes in.
The following users liked this post:
ETS Michael (Jan 29, 2018)
Old Jan 29, 2018, 04:35 PM

Old Jan 30, 2018, 06:56 PM

Good news everyone!

Ordered more stuff. Emailed Status Racing about some seats and Jr. got me all hooked up with a beautiful pair of spa seats. I saw the design idea in an article they put out back in 2014 featuring a great looking G37.

Swapping out the Recaros never crossed my mind. Then I saw these and found myself remembering how pre MY15 Recaros could suddenly without any warning awaken mechagodzilla and he(she?. Them?) Will eat your children and or favorite pet. Or whatever mitsubishis less plausible story was, and had to buy them just to be safe. Its for the children, after all, I've always been an animal lover.

In other news I'm taking duct tape donations. I ran out, and when these seats come in I'm expecting them to be in large boxes, so I wanted to add a guest bedroom to my new place.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 02:41 AM

Here's what they'll look like. I cant wait!

Old Jan 31, 2018, 05:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What year is your GSR? Those are some beautiful seats. Is that custom stitching? I don't see those on their website.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 03:56 PM

The car is a 2013. And thanks! I fell in love the second I saw them.

It is a custom stitch, but was only about a $100 extra. It's actually one of the Spa seats listed on their site, but if I understood Jr. correctly, the double diamond stitch removes the different square sections in the center pads and makes it the single piece you see in the picture. Well worth it in my opinion. I wasn't a big fan of the multi sectional look.

Its going to take everything I've got to not tackle and hug the UPS driver when I see him with these things...

Quick Reply: Jimmy's Anti-Retirement