Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Heel2toe's I wanna go fast build

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Happy to host the splitter discussion here, thanks ofr chiming in guys. And yes Dallas I agree with you, I forgot to add lightweight and looks proper to my want list.

The only other thing is it needs to play nicely with class rules. I never built my car to a class spec but its close enough to an SM build that I would like adhere to their ruleset which will work out well since I know Dallas is in the same boat.

Since this splitter will see cone abuse it must be robust as Im not the best at going around the cones. Im planning on building this with a couple locals using a wet layup of CF and vacuum bags. They built ones last year using this method and going for V2 so happy to have some folks to build it with so we'll be making one for a Miata and MR2.

What are your thoughts on a 3D splitter? I need to look into the rulebook and see what the limitations are but Id like to build it to the maximum allowance.

I think using a quick latch would be just the ticket on the bottom.; that sounds like a great idea. Whatever we come up it must be able to come apart and get back on easily. It would be great if it could come off without having to crawl under the vehicle but perhaps Im starting to get unrealistic here.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 08:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
All 6 of my front attachment points are accessible without jacking the car up, the only ones that aren't are the 2 rear points which connect to the subframe (8 points total).

I was really hoping to make a vacuum bag setup this winter but the piggy bank is saying no so going with the cheaper light alternative, alumalite. Let us know how your cf endeavors go.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 08:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Well if "we" come up with some kind of sweet quick disconnect setup, I can certainly facilitate getting a few kits made for us. The main splitter piece would have to be made by each person but if there are water jet plates or small brackets to be made, I can get those done on my end. Mostly been an issue of time to design something when I gotta get some other parts finished still.

For AX, the splitter has to be flat so no fun curvature on trailing edges.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

The vacuum bagging process will be interesting indeed. I honestly wasn't even considering it but after talking with buddy Im sold from a durability perspective. Aluminite on track will work fine but one cone hit and it could be destroyed so that to me doesnt seem ideal. Plus since buddies already have vacuum pump and some level of experience entry cost as well as learning curve is a little less here. Anyway, the material we use for the actual splitter is on us but design and shape no reason we cant do the same thing. If the actual layup parts works out well Im not opposed to making another to "share the wealth" however shipping costs would probably make it silly.

Anyway, back on topic here, how many attachments points do you feel are necessary? The more rigid the splitter is I'd think the less attachment points we would need which also means less time to R&R for obvious reasons.

The other option we have is instead of making splitter easily removable, perhaps we just make the front bumper easily removable and have splitter attached to it? My concern with this however is that we would need to make sure however the bumper is attached its strong, obviously. I don't love this idea but just throwing it out there to get some ideas flowing.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Haven't updated this in a while so here it goes. The car has been sitting for a couple months now but that's OK bc no more salt and gives me time to plan the next phase.

I have a few exciting updates and projects going on this winter. For starters I sold my harness bar and harnesses as I'm having a rollbar built for the car as I plan to venture onto track next year on top of auto-x duty too. The harness bar worked great for auto-x but not by any means safe in a rollover event so that is gone.

I purchased new seats a couple months ago which I am very excited about. The seats I opted for are a new offering from Sparco the QRT-R which appealed to me as they are light and reasonably priced. Coming in at 16# thats not too shabby for a Fiberglass FIA approved seat. Should look sweet once installed, offer additional side bolster support over the stock seats, allows me to properly run a 6pt harness and did I mention they are light!?

Also, speaking of weight look what I just got my hands on! I didn't know this at the time but Mitsu has discontinued production of the AL roof so tracking one down was tricky. But the stars aligned and I now have my hands on one! So all I gotta do is cut off my old roof and glue & rivet on the new one

Still need to sort out splitter among many other things but yes I have a busy winter ahead of me...
Old Jan 9, 2019, 07:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Mmmmm for AL roof!!!!!! ^ Just curious the price of one of these and what the difference would have been for a say a dry carbon roof or something since your basically going to be doing the same kind of labor to install?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 08:17 AM
EvoM Guru

So a part when custom made is always better the second time around. Let me know what you want for your first "flawed" version of that splitter
Old Jan 9, 2019, 08:34 AM
EvoM Guru

I too would be curious to hear what you got that roof for, I feel like I'm the only sucker here with a steel roof still lol.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
So a part when custom made is always better the second time around. Let me know what you want for your first "flawed" version of that splitter
If you know someone with a router or water jet that can cut 4x8' sheets I can send you the file for my splitter. I have a 5" and 7" version
Old Jan 9, 2019, 08:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Making the sheet is easy enough, Ive just been slacking on getting the frame made inside. I know I just need to make something and damn the weight for V1. Then optimize for V2+.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoSoEVO
Mmmmm for AL roof!!!!!! ^ Just curious the price of one of these and what the difference would have been for a say a dry carbon roof or something since your basically going to be doing the same kind of labor to install?
Yeah once you factor in having this one painted the cost to go to CF probably wouldnt be all that much more. The AMS CF one is also 7# lighter. But after talking with Dallas, he confirmed I can't go CF without bumping to prepared which would be a huge bummer. But alas I was able to find this one and it'll drop 38# over my existing roof!!
The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Jan 9, 2019)
Old Jan 9, 2019, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Dallas whats the story with the blemished splitter? I too need to get my a$$ in gear with that but havent even begun to brainstorm.

I need to get my seats mounted first (paging Austin!!!) then remove roof mock up new roof have rollbar fabbed up then will look into splitter options.

In regards to roof pricing it wasnt terrible. I sourced it from a dealer in CO so had to pay for freight shipping to the tune of like $220. But all in it cost me something like $917 I wanna say. The thing is Im not so sure you can find another AL one so if you do pricing might not be to your favor.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 09:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Dallas whats the story with the blemished splitter?

Was more joking about you needing to make two .
Old Jan 9, 2019, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Lol, after rereading, you did say that Its 12:30 here and apparently Im still half asleep at my desk...
Old Jan 9, 2019, 09:37 AM
EvoM Guru

38lbs, wow that's incredible. I would've figured it'd be like 10lbs tops vs the steel roof. Please do weigh them as if it's really that big of a difference I'd be more inclined to fish for a new roof.

As for the bracket I'm working on it now. Called off work today, hella swollen sinuses and a sore throat and I need to be recovered before this weekend
Old Jan 9, 2019, 09:39 AM
EvoM Guru

38lbs if you have a sunroof to start maybe?

Quick Reply: Heel2toe's I wanna go fast build