Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Shake's Blue VIII

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shake's Blue VIII

Sup guys,

Had the Evo for about 6 months really loving it. This post is going to be my build/worklog. ATM, this will be more of a worklog. But, I'd love to make this a time attack car at some point. Some future things I have in mind: Aggressive aero mods, practical weight reduction, and mods to improve the efficiency of various systems(Engineer by trade). But for now I'm just going to maintain it and slowly clean it up. There is a bit of rust here and there but nothing I haven't fixed before.

Mods installed by previous owner:
-Injen Intake
-Cat back (Call me an old man but it is a tad loud)
-TephraMod (I'm a novice. After some research I've learned that the current fuel and spark maps are not very good...Rich and retarded with occasional bad knock)
-ProSport wideband, EGT, and boost gauges
-Torque Solution Motormounts
-Grimmspeed BC
-HKS Turbo Timer
-Front lip

Things that are missing...that I want to replace:

-Oil cooler (Setrab anyone?!?)
-Vortex generator
-IC Sprayer (have a plan)
-The air filter scoop/box
-Exhaust mani shield (already replaced it)

Some things I've done so far:

-Replaced leaking OEM Rad with a Full size KOYO RAD.
-Replaced the very crude COP setup with a more refined version. The harness was toast(water) and the plate had misaligned holes. A CNC'd plate by SSSPerformance and I made a water tight, silicon sealed, harness.
-Picked up an Openport 2.0 for logging.

My in progress effort is learning about tuning EVO's and updating the Tephra Tune. I get bad knock (read 36 counts repeating), on spool, in and around the 100-120 load range. I've scaled the map's load axis from 350 to 300 then added the extra resolution to low-mid loads; but have not burned to new maps yet. I'll post maps at some point.

Future Maintenance:
-Water pump
-Timing belt
-Tierods
-Engine oil change

Mileage 132,000

Basics. STY?

Enjoy,

-Matthew

Last edited by MasterShake19; Sep 2, 2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I love blue Evos. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
MasterShake19 (Apr 21, 2018)
Old Apr 21, 2018, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
This is the first time seeing exhaust wrap on upper radiator hose. I take it you have oem downpipe?
MinusPrevious (Apr 21, 2018)
Old Apr 21, 2018, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
This is the first time seeing exhaust wrap on upper radiator hose. I take it you have oem downpipe?
Cat is out test pipe in its place. The wrap is something the PO did....He was probably trying to keep the heat from the manifold away after taking the heat shield off. Might add some real insulation at some point, I don't like how that hose is positioned. Part of it is above a hot manifold and further towards the block it rests up against the turbo inlet.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 09:52 PM

Went out logging today flashed the new maps in. Having issue logging with the laptop. It connects and give lots of data but the laptop will not pick up my WBO2. I have to log with the Openport 2.0 SD card to get WBO2 data. Noticed something really weird with the EVO. My boost gauge hit 28 PSI?!? vs. 23 PSI on my current tune. Ok, traced some vac lines and found my EBC to WG line came off. Got it back on and zip tied it. Going to say this might have been my fault while installing the radiator? Although, I could have sworn I checked that line while I was down there.

New on top. Basically the same tune except max load is now 300.

Popped the bumper cover off just to look and got a more updated pic of the COP. The optima Battery died awhile back. Only lasted 5 years. As horrible as it sounds, I have had the same or better luck with Walmart's Everstart brand.

Last edited by MasterShake19; Apr 22, 2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:42 PM

Started to diagnose the IC spray system. Currently the switch does nothing. First I took the switch out tested it per OEM manual...nothing, open in all positions.

Took the switch apart had light corrosion on the contacts, scuffed the copper with some 400 grit, wiped with alcohol, lithium greased, and reassembled. Everything checked out, continuity where needed. Reinstalled the switch and still no pump noise but the light in the dash is on? Good sign I guess.

Moved on to the pump, hooked a 9v to the pump, it runs but nothing comes out. More than the switch in the car is doing. Started reading about wiring harness corrosion on the EVOs. I checked the driver side connector and I have a corroded harness. After finding that I knocked off what I could and put it back together. Smeared some silicon on the grommet (I'd like to take the fender off and put silicon on the outside). Also, ordered some Dupont pins so I can re-pin the block.

Old May 6, 2018, 03:08 PM

Did some work yesterday while waiting on the larger dupont pins to arrive. Noticed the flywheel cover is missing? Who TF thought that was a good idea to remove? So I bought a new one from STM. Other things I did below.

Took the driver side fender off and sealed up this grommet with silicon.

Noticed the fender holes that attach to the rocker where corroded up. Added grease to all of the fender fasteners to prevent further corrosion.

The front passenger side brake has been squealing really bad at low speeds. Took it apart to investigate. Found that no shims where installed to the back of the pads. Added grease to all of the major contact points and scoffed up the rotors and pads to re-bed them. The squeal is still present so I ordered a set of OEM shims from STM.

Old May 11, 2018, 09:12 PM

Flywheel cover arrived. One of the threads in the trans was messed up. Luckily I was able to start a tap on the back side. Ran it through and cleaned it up. Started to get dark so this was all I did.

Old May 20, 2018, 10:43 PM

Dont have any pics. Nothing to exciting happened this week.

Filled a window chip that was beginning to crack.

Went to Mitsubishi for the passenger airbag recall.

I removed my EGT gauge. Noticed that my Prosport wideband was giving erratic readings in the logs. Read about them and I'm losing faith in Prosport's products. So a new set of gauges, most likely AEM, will be the next big purchase.

The, Dupont style, pins I ordered for the wiring harness do not fit. So, I de-pinned one of each size pin and took measurements. Then, found pins that were similar on Digi-key. Hopefully these fit.
Old May 31, 2018, 03:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterShake19
Cat is out test pipe in its place. The wrap is something the PO did....He was probably trying to keep the heat from the manifold away after taking the heat shield off. Might add some real insulation at some point, I don't like how that hose is positioned. Part of it is above a hot manifold and further towards the block it rests up against the turbo inlet.
I really not a big fan of this design that mitsubishi did on evo 7, 8 and 9.
Evo 6 radiator is a direct fit and has the hose neck off the side and away from the exhaust manifold
MasterShake19 (Jun 3, 2018)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by TechExpress
I really not a big fan of this design that mitsubishi did on evo 7, 8 and 9.
Evo 6 radiator is a direct fit and has the hose neck off the side and away from the exhaust manifold
I wonder if the 8 has an aftermarket fix?

Been housing hunting recently and neglecting the EVO, I did replacing some of the corroded pins that I mentioned previously. I have a Digi-key list for equivalent Mitsubishi connector pins.
Small 1mm pins are:
Male: A126058CT-ND
Female: A107048CT-ND

Medium 2mm pins are:
Male: A122989CT-ND (gold plated, these are pricey)
Female: A128763CT-ND

I used a common and cheap IWISS SN-2549 Crimping tool.

I have only replaced the 2mm pins. The new female terminal fits great. The male terminal is a bit short and requires pliers to pull the terminal into the lock. Also, the secondary lock on the plastic connector will not engage the male pin. This is fine though because the plastic connectors still lock into each other and the primary terminal lock is engaged to the male pin. I pulled on the wires to test and they are not going anywhere. I did an OHM test on each set of old pins, they all read over 1 OHM which is a significant voltage drop for a 12v circuit.

ill get to the 1mm pins at a later date. they are a pain to remove so i dont care at the moment. ill add pics of the final connections when they are done.

Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:17 PM

Neglect

I have severally neglected post here. I was in the process of buying a house took up all of my time. I'm now afraid that house prices are in a bubble so I backed out of a deal and am going back to renting. I hate asking friends to use their place to work on the Evo.

Some updates on the Evo:

I removed the EGT gauge and sold it.

Changed the oil at 136,000 and sent the oil to Blackstone. Results follow.

I have no idea what oil was used or the time frame of use. All I know is I used it for 4000 miles. Going to send another sample in at 140,000 miles just to watch iron content. Used a Purolator 14459 filter and Mobil 1 10w-30 high mileage full synthetic.

Today I replaced timing belt/pulleys and water pump. Straight forward process. I didn't get any pics. Found out the Balance shafts where removed. Next on the list is changing gearbox, T-case, and diff oils. Ordered an Innovate oil temp and pressure gauge,

Last edited by MasterShake19; Sep 3, 2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 08:30 PM

Got a 60mm gruppe-s panel; the innovate gauges didnt fit my current pod.

Before

Heat gun for the climate control labels

3D printed some 52mm adaptors.

Gruppe-s in the Evo

Going to start the wiring tomorrow. Have BSPT adaptors for the pressure sender and a ported drain plug for the temp sender.