Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

My first Evo! 05 SSL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Is there a reason you are after new injectors? With a basic fuel pump walbro 255 (which is probably already in your fuel tank) the stock injectors are fine assuming youre running normal pump fuel, not e85 and are on the stock turbo. Looks like youre doing a nice job cleaning it up so dont start throwing money at problems that might not even be an issue.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Is there a reason you are after new injectors? With a basic fuel pump walbro 255 (which is probably already in your fuel tank) the stock injectors are fine assuming youre running normal pump fuel, not e85 and are on the stock turbo. Looks like youre doing a nice job cleaning it up so dont start throwing money at problems that might not even be an issue.
Thanks! Correct on the walbro 255. My thought is, wanting 400 ish wheel, that I might as well get the injectors to do it now, vs tuning twice.

I will give a list of mods currently
Know for sure mods
evo 9 turbo
evo 9 transmission (rebuilt less then 10k ago)
ecs front mount intercooler
upgraded intercooler pips, looks like it might be 2.5 possibly 3 inch
walbro 255
full 3 inch exhaust
turbo xs wastgate actuator
intake
spool up coil on plug kit
Southbend stage 2 endurance clutch

not sure about mods that the previous owner said
cams... he said it had cams..one broke?? and he replaced them..not sure oem of aftermarket
injectors. claims he put in injectors, no idea what size... But, I think we established oem
93 tune. I think it might be tuned, but not sure..and it does not have anti-lag nor any launch control enabled, can just rev to redline

While floored, it does pull good, and is really smooth. looks like 23 psi of boost and it does not fall off, I sadly do not have a wideband yet to check AFR

Thats all I have noticed as of yet.

Previous owner did other rear stuff..like put in a sub horribly that I had to remove and rewire as it was on top of the carpet and crimped the power wire whenever you shut the door. He also removed rear speakers because he liked how it sounds when all the sound comes from the front? Getting rear speakers tonight, and ordered the connectors so I do not have to cut factory wires.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You're going to need to make major changes other then the injectors from your current setup for 400whp on pump gas. And a retune will be needed, so, buying injectors now isn't a huge money saver later.

I would get your injectors cleaned. If they are dirty, it can cause fuel issues at low pulse widths and make the car run rough.
The following users liked this post:
ign 5 (Apr 18, 2018)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:49 PM

I will try that, thank you.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You're going to need to make major changes other then the injectors from your current setup for 400whp on pump gas. And a retune will be needed, so, buying injectors now isn't a huge money saver later.

I would get your injectors cleaned. If they are dirty, it can cause fuel issues at low pulse widths and make the car run rough.
Solid advice right here!
ign 5 (Apr 18, 2018)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 01:33 PM

Agreed, and I remember there being some local guys that flow test and clean them here in Vegas.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 05:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah, Alex at 5star injector solutions can turn them around quick.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 05:11 PM

Man oh Man. Devin at All Access Tuning is amazing, we have nicknamed him the Evo DR. I explained what was going on, and said I was not sure if I needed a tune, or injectors..and he said he was really busy, but he would take a look. Look is an understatement, my car is running perfect again. He started teh car for less then a second, turned it off, and was checking connectors, he checked compression, he took out the plugs and checked the pistons, he explained all the stuff I needed. He was moving stuff around and Bam, cylinder 4 I would call it, was the issue, and it had to do with spark plugs, he had a new set in stock, gaped them, put them in and running better then the day I got it. I can not thank him enough. I will for sure be using and referring him every chance I can.

I can now focus on looks while I save up some money to dump on a tune. I am buying rear speakers tonight.
Thanks for all the replies, I will post up next time something happens.
-Russ
Old Apr 18, 2018, 05:32 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Sounds like you found someone to do all the basic stuff we were listing post by post LOL. It's always easier to knock it out in person than try to diagnose over the 'net haha.
Congrats!
FYI: 400whp on pump gas will require 1000cc injectors unless you don't mind pushing the duty cycle, in which case 750s would work. Then a Wally 255. There will be a turbo upgrade. FP black, maybe? I lil laggy... but if you want 400whp on pump, you gotta deal with it :P

On a side note, I was gonna say I kinda miss building on my car.. but I don't. LOL. I'm glad I just get to drive it now
ign 5 (Apr 19, 2018)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 06:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Devin is good. If I wasn't busy with work (real job, not my shop lol) I would have had you bring it by.

I was going to mention plugs, but one your first posts said you replaced them...?
ign 5 (Apr 19, 2018)
Old Apr 19, 2018, 07:53 AM

Yea, it is very confusing. I did put in plugs, and it ran great for about 15 mins, then started running like crap again. So, I did not look at them again, I just assumed it was something else. Somehow cylinder 4 as I call it, the aprk plug tip got crushed, and had no gap at all. That is why he started looking at things, thinking the plug maybe hit the piston, but he said it looked fine. I am upset with myself for not going basic, and checking each coil to see if any cylinders did not fire. It is especially with the coil on plug kit, but just the way it ran fine at higher rpms made me feel injectors/tune. I had a problem like this in the past with one of my WRXs. Found the dead cylinder, moved coil, did not change, moved plug, did not change, heard injector clicking, but it was still the injector. oh well..live and learn, and met a great tuner.

as far as 400whp goes, not possible on the Evo9 turbo with 91?
-Russ
Old Apr 19, 2018, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

With meth maybe but certainly not on 91 **** with a IX turbo. Even on 93 thats a stretch...
Old Apr 19, 2018, 09:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ign 5
Yea, it is very confusing. I did put in plugs, and it ran great for about 15 mins, then started running like crap again. So, I did not look at them again, I just assumed it was something else. Somehow cylinder 4 as I call it, the aprk plug tip got crushed, and had no gap at all. That is why he started looking at things, thinking the plug maybe hit the piston, but he said it looked fine. I am upset with myself for not going basic, and checking each coil to see if any cylinders did not fire. It is especially with the coil on plug kit, but just the way it ran fine at higher rpms made me feel injectors/tune. I had a problem like this in the past with one of my WRXs. Found the dead cylinder, moved coil, did not change, moved plug, did not change, heard injector clicking, but it was still the injector. oh well..live and learn, and met a great tuner.

as far as 400whp goes, not possible on the Evo9 turbo with 91?
-Russ
No, it'll make at most about 350 on a dyno jet, maybe a bit more with cams. On Devin's mustang dyno it'll probably end up in the lower 300's. FP Red and GSC S2's would be the way to go for 400+ on 91.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 09:59 AM

OK, thank you for your quick replies. It will be a long while until I go that route then. I will still get a tune (any point in getting bigger injectors with the EVo9 turbo?) and work on maintenance, and cleaning it up for now. Maybe in like a year or so I will see a need to upgrade turbo.
thanks
-Russ
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:14 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by ign 5
OK, thank you for your quick replies. It will be a long while until I go that route then. I will still get a tune (any point in getting bigger injectors with the EVo9 turbo?) and work on maintenance, and cleaning it up for now. Maybe in like a year or so I will see a need to upgrade turbo.
thanks
-Russ
Hey Russ. You should get larger injectors so we can get you a dual tune (91 & E85). Guys are always selling injectors, so look around. Minimum you will need is 1000cc's combined w/a Walbro 255 fuel pump

I ran the stock turbo & 1000cc injectors & was tuned on E85 at 400 Dyno Jet WHP as an example (Evo9 w/MIVEC)

Joe
ign 5 (Apr 19, 2018)

Quick Reply: My first Evo! 05 SSL