Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

I Need More Ideas On This Build

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 05:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I Need More Ideas On This Build

Okay, so this fall I want to build my car. It has full bolt ons currently with a 4 inch intercooler. I want to pull my engine and send it to english racing for their street engine build. If you don't want to click that link, that build includes
  • Eagle Rods
  • ER Spec Wiseco HD Pistons
  • 9:1 Compression
  • Polished OEM Crank
  • Gasket Kit
  • GSC +1mm Intake Valves
  • GSC +1mm Exhaust Valves - Super Alloy
  • GSC Valve Stem Seals
  • GSC S2 Camshafts
  • GSC Beehive Springs + Titanium Retainers
  • ER Phenolic Intake Manifold Gasket
  • Main/Head Studs
    I've settled on the BW 8374 kit from ets. Besides bigger injectors and, upgraded fuel pump and a new clutch and a protune, is there anything else I need? I currently have the ACT clutch but I don't think it can handle this build. I'm hoping this will be under 20k
Old Jun 28, 2018, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
What kind of power are you looking for? I personally don't care for Eagle rods.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 09:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't really thought about that yet. I'm mainly looking for reliability. I would be okay with anything in the 600s and very happy if I made it into the 700s. I know this setup may yield much more than that but I don't want to blow my motor
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't care much for eagle rods. Spending a bit more on Manley h beams or even Manley H tuff's will make the bottom end much stronger. If you can afford it Manley I beams are the business.

Eagle rods aren't known to go much about 500ftlb which is only 100~~ish more than OEM's
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by A872B
I haven't really thought about that yet. I'm mainly looking for reliability. I would be okay with anything in the 600s and very happy if I made it into the 700s. I know this setup may yield much more than that but I don't want to blow my motor
Okay, 700whp target. What rev limit? Are you planning for track time? Road coarse? Drag strip? Or purely street/daily driver?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Have you reached out to English Racing on the phone yet? We can all sit here and provide our opinions on how we don't care for Eagle rods and how Carrillo is best or you need I beams over H beams etc. The reality is everything is a compromise. If you want them to be strong and light they probably wont be cheap. Where do you draw the line?

Without knowing the intent for this build its hard to recommend things like what clutch you should buy or what other supporting modifications are necessary to reach your goals.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 08:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Bladey
I wouldn't care much for eagle rods. Spending a bit more on Manley h beams or even Manley H tuff's will make the bottom end much stronger. If you can afford it Manley I beams are the business.

Eagle rods aren't known to go much about 500ftlb which is only 100~~ish more than OEM's
Eagles will do about 560-570wtq no problem. They're a good rod. There's a reason ER uses them and not Manley rods. And Manley Ibeams are hardly the business- they're heavy and under engineered.

That being said, if you're planning on a turbo setup like an EFR8374, you should probably be looking into a stronger rod.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Make sure you get STRONG rod bolts with whatever rod you decide to get. That's where much of the reliability comes when keeping a higher rpm engine surviving.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 03:46 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Bladey

Do many people realistically make more than 500wtq??

As for the other posts, I'm not sure why the dissatisfaction with Eagle. We used them all the time with no problems. Though I admit they were in Hondas where even with 650whp, there isn't much torque going on.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 04:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Do many people realistically make more than 500wtq??

As for the other posts, I'm not sure why the dissatisfaction with Eagle. We used them all the time with no problems. Though I admit they were in Hondas where even with 650whp, there isn't much torque going on.
Everyone thinks everything should be way overbuilt. Which is why most cars never get finished. And like you said, most Evo's make 450-550wtq with a fast and fun setup. Which eagles are more than sufficient for. My car probably woud have gotten eagles, but they didn't have a 156mm option.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 05:06 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Everyone thinks everything should be way overbuilt. Which is why most cars never get finished. And like you said, most Evo's make 450-550wtq with a fast and fun setup. Which eagles are more than sufficient for. My car probably woud have gotten eagles, but they didn't have a 156mm option.
I've noticed the trend. People with 4" FMICs and 400whp.. giant turbos making 500whp, on a stock short block, but nothing below 5k RPM. All these parts because "I plan to go big" but they never do.. then wonder why the car isn't very fun to drive. Then they sell the car with a buttload of expensive parts that just don't work (and nobody wants to pay for), etc.
Lots of people get sucked down that hole. Interestingly enough: I see a lot of these guys going backward. I have a local guy that is selling off his GT30r and other stuff to back to stock. He did some autox and a track day and now he wants to turn better lap times. He's hooked big time LOL. He's amazed at how well my car does with much less stuff on it, so he's looking to simplify and rebuild.
Off topic, sorry. I like conversing a bit too much
Old Jun 30, 2018, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I've noticed the trend. People with 4" FMICs and 400whp.. giant turbos making 500whp, on a stock short block, but nothing below 5k RPM. All these parts because "I plan to go big" but they never do.. then wonder why the car isn't very fun to drive. Then they sell the car with a buttload of expensive parts that just don't work (and nobody wants to pay for), etc.
Lots of people get sucked down that hole. Interestingly enough: I see a lot of these guys going backward. I have a local guy that is selling off his GT30r and other stuff to back to stock. He did some autox and a track day and now he wants to turn better lap times. He's hooked big time LOL. He's amazed at how well my car does with much less stuff on it, so he's looking to simplify and rebuild.
Off topic, sorry. I like conversing a bit too much
Now I'm worried about switching to a Red in about 3 months.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:18 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Now I'm worried about switching to a Red in about 3 months.
Naw. If you've done your due diligence, nothing to to worry about. I probably should have been more specific in the other post. Not just 500whp on stock blocks, but when they use giant turbos, capable of 1,000,000whp. I'm mostly referring to people with, for example, 35Rs on stock blocks. They get that peak WHP number to show their friends, but wonder why the car sucks at everything but freeway runs I had a friend with that setup and he actually liked the peaky power band. He said it made for more drama. haha. This was for daily driving, though. He didn't compete with it.
IMO a Red is fine. That's probably what I should be running on my track car, but I just can't give up the fun factor of these smaller turbos. My lap times suffer and the car works a little harder, but meh. If I ever decide to get competitive, I'll also be looking for a Red.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Standard Manley rods here. Car only makes 400whp/400wtq and revs to 8k. Had I more money at the time I may have gone with something more expensive but I did it moreso for piece of mind than holding more power than what I'm already making. Even when the time comes to drop cams in I still feel comfortable pushing the car to 500whp/450wtq.

I agree that most people unnecessarily overbuild their engines and while it's not a bad thing it does often set things back in the long run.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:30 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by ayoustin
I agree that most people unnecessarily overbuild their engines and while it's not a bad thing it does often set things back in the long run.
I whole-heartedly agree, except only a handful of people ever go "the long run". "Proper" builds don't get enough street cred, though.

Quick Reply: I Need More Ideas On This Build