Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:20 PM

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox_IX
$2k doesn't sound too bad, but I know when you're spending on all that other stuff, another $2k sucks haha. What kind of exhaust did you have in mind? I have an old HKS carbon ti thats yours if we can figure out shipping. I also have some used but good condition Mishi coolant hoses that will be coming off as I just picked up some Evo 4/5/6 hoses that'll fit my half-rad a little better. Let me know if you're interested!
It's not bad, but you're exactly right. Lol. I'll probably be a little over $20k in when it's all said and done. But again, it's mine and I know every piece of what's in it. Likely better than paying that for a car with an unknown history that needs an engine a month later. Haha.

I was considering an Invidia turbo-back as that's what my buddy recommends...but you have a PM!
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:10 PM

Nothing too exciting to add, but, I received and installed my Torque Solutions poly motor mount inserts for the stock mounts. I felt these would be the best compromise between cost/performance/vibrations. I read a lot of bad reviews on the full poly mounts and the stock rubber mounts are a pretty penny. Plus, who doesn't love some pyrotechnics?

Also, no pics of it, but, installed the Walbro 255 and non-rusty fuel tank into my Starion today and straightened out all the fuel lines. It can now start on its own and act like a real car...albeit runs like crap...but thats a big step! lol.

Anyways...

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-4pkbqaz.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-iqcd4yq.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-fctfagx.jpg

Engine is waiting patiently.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-txl7xrb.jpg
Old Apr 12, 2019, 07:56 PM

Not much to update on Evo progress. I got the base tune from House of Power so I can drive it to him for a dyno tune once its together. Also, I got the Tactrix 2.0 and...today my transmission showed up! I also installed the new rear pads and rotors I've had sitting in a box, but I forgot to take a picture of that. Brakes are brakes though. Lol.

Also...for those interested...since there was not much I could do to the Evo in the meantime, I decided to work on my Starion the last few days. As I said in the last post, I installed the new (to me) fuel tank with the new pump, lines, etc...then I put a fuel pressure gauge on it and realized the pump was not running continuously which is what was causing it to run so badly. Turns out, I forgot to wire Megasquirt to the fuel pump relay...and I never wired the wideband o2 sensor to it either. That's why you can't step away from a project for months at a time. Lol. Got the fuel pressure solid and hooked up the o2 sensor...now it starts reliably and will idle, rev, etc. Still needs tuned, badly, but hey, it runs and drives!

Since I got it to run, I decided to install the harness correctly instead of having it lying all over the top of the engine. It was dark by the time I finished, so no pic, but, it looks much nicer now. I also decided to install the new calipers, rotors, pads, braided hoses, and master cylinder I've had in a box for the past two years or so, and for the first time since I've owned it, it no longer has a sticking caliper and it can stop on its own! I've made more progress on that car in the last week than I have in the prior 3 years.

Anyways...the Evo assembly will commence next weekend!

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-4ff8y8y.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-cd6hwkm.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-dsgivsx.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-4hzutvn.jpg
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Nice build man. Gonna be in the same boat here myself in the next coiuple month when I start my drag car build on my salvage titled evo I picked up.
The following users liked this post:
strang3majik (Apr 20, 2019)
Old Apr 20, 2019, 08:47 PM

Finally got to mess around with the Evo some more today and didn't take a single picture :/

Picked up another spoiler last night from a local part out that had a good condition carbon center section, picked up a stock exhaust (to get the car running and pass the state rebuilt title inspection), installed the passenger seat belt (a normal Lancer seat belt from the same year has a different SRS design and plug, btw. I had to get one from another Evo)...and I finally installed the new gas tank, Walbro 255, mustache bar/diff, etc.

I plan to install the engine and trans this coming week as I'm off til Friday...I would work on it tomorrow but I forgot one major piece...flywheel bolts -_- So have a set of ARP bolts on the way and they'll be here Monday. Other than that, her body is ready. Lol.

Also got my Mishimoto radiator and silicon hoses in for it...ready to go.

Maybe it'll run this week!!! Maybe.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Super awesome to see the progress, be sure to do a first start video for us! Super excited for you, man!
Sorry the stuff with my parts didn't work out, I've been crazy busy with work, do you still want me to try and get a shipping quote for the HKS or did you settle on the Invidia?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 09:08 PM

Super awesome to see the progress, be sure to do a first start video for us! Super excited for you, man!
Sorry the stuff with my parts didn't work out, I've been crazy busy with work, do you still want me to try and get a shipping quote for the HKS or did you settle on the Invidia?
Thank you! I'm kinda nervous about the first start...I'm sitting here overthinking hoping everything has been put together correctly, but I definitely will have a video. No doubt about that. Lol.

And no problem at all. I'm still interested in the HKS! I haven't made the decision on any one exhaust yet. Lol.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by strang3majik
Thank you! I'm kinda nervous about the first start...I'm sitting here overthinking hoping everything has been put together correctly, but I definitely will have a video. No doubt about that. Lol.

And no problem at all. I'm still interested in the HKS! I haven't made the decision on any one exhaust yet. Lol.
Awesome, hopefully I can get to it this week, last few weeks I leave home before the shipping place opens and get home after it closes x.x
Old Apr 20, 2019, 09:33 PM

Awesome, hopefully I can get to it this week, last few weeks I leave home before the shipping place opens and get home after it closes x.x
I hear you. I work 12hr shifts so I have the same problem. Lol.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:09 PM

Some big updates! Engine is in!

I know...I did it from the top...and yes, I realized I had to take the trans mount off after I got it all the way in there. Getting the engine in was easy, it was getting the bolts through the poly mounts...that was a several hour challenge. Lol. They are pretty stiff.

Exedy twin disc clutch installed with some ARP flywheel bolts. Trans installed. I popped the old broken valve cover on it for install so I didn't damage my good one...glad I did that. But once the engine was in, started reassembly. Its like putting together a lego set that I have no idea what it is, without instructions, that's missing Legos, and has some Legos from another kit mixed in. Haha. But I'm getting there. Figured out I do need a new throttle cable and ignition wires, and still need to order some Redline MT90 for the trans and OEM stuff for the tcase and rear diff...so far I think that's it...along with a bunch of miscellaneous hardware I've been picking up from the local hardware store. Still awaiting my stainless clutch hose from ExtremePSI. Apparently AMS discontinued theirs and my order was cancelled

Also...was there supposed to be an adapter for the oil pressure sender/switch? I had to order one and it was pretty obscure. The parts catalog doesn't show it, but the hole in the block was a bit larger than the hole for the sensor.

Anyways...here's some pictures. The pic with three of us...that's my dad in the background who lent a hand, me on the left...and my buddy supervising on the right. Haha. Its nice to see the car sitting with weight in it...looks pretty good minus the stupid stretched tires.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-9rvjh0r.jpg

The kids.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-co7kqzj.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-valhbuj.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-qutyujz.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-la2ygk1.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-rrchguz.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-mnwychk.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-fnwvcpd.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-lv9dybn.jpg

Looks like PacMan

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-j3vf0ud.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-qhklhkn.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-abq5wqx.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-ekwhuw8.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-75fwbvw.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-qtnfk0x.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-nkjdfmb.jpg
osetsky (Aug 25, 2019)
Old Apr 29, 2019, 05:28 PM

Got a little more installed. The stainless clutch line from ExtremePSI arrived and I installed that today. All I can say is, getting to the banjo bolt fitting on the clutch master is a fun time...lol But the clutch line is installed...I also removed the restrictor from the slave cylinder. That is a common mod on the BMWs that makes a world of difference, so, I figured why not.

Also bled it all and it works! Two pedals down, one to go. Need that throttle cable. Lol

Its nice to see it coming together, though. For tomorrow, I'm hoping to get underneath and install the starter, harness on the rear of the engine, oil cooler, possibly transfer case, axles, and wheel hub bearings if I feel like it...we'll see how far I get. Lol.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-0wdpqn0.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-4lpjqkt.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-l99qzhy.jpg
SoSoEVO (May 10, 2019)
Old Apr 29, 2019, 06:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Excellent job. Looking like a very clean install
Old May 9, 2019, 09:01 PM

BIG NEWS!!!

But before that...I have made quite a bit of progress. All of the harness has been plugged in. Transfer case, new axles, and new wheel bearings/hubs installed. All new fluids front to rear. Exhaust installed. New A/C condenser and expansion valve.

I learned a little about ECU Flash, backed up the original tune and uploaded the new tune onto the car...and...she runs! Video below! No check engine light either. I even drove the car around the parking lot, just 1st, 2nd, and Reverse, and it moves! Runs very smooth...vibrates a bit, but, to be expected with poly mounts and BSE. lol. From that short little drive, I can tell it should be pretty stout.

The power steering pump I got is bad and leaks fluid out of the front bearing, so...bought another used one from a Facebook Evo Classifieds member. Hopefully its good...then, I'll throw the transport plate on, some taillights, and an air filter and give it an actual test drive.

My front right ABS wheel speed sensor had the plug cut off, so, I need to figure out how to splice that in. That's the only code the ABS system is throwing. The airbag system just needs reset. I talked to my local dealer, they said they can "look into it" when they do the recall.

Anyways...here some pics. Video is at the end. Its already about due for its first oil change. Its probably ran a total of 1hr so far.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-0gotj1q.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-wxcr4xn.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-wxld6nz.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-lm5hgf7.jpg

Transfer case in...that was annoying.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-bvmorq7.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-wat6amz.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-0yrd2jr.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-karkegs.jpg

A little 90s good-ness in the background.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-aiaycjh.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-smcnjhq.jpg

It drove itself to this spot!

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-bhonlc7.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-kbbi9id.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-p9g35my.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-lqcdumn.jpg

A/C system vacuumed down and charged. Blowing ice cold. lolol. The important things in Florida.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-y7fdwwt.jpg

Annnnnnd...for the video.

Last edited by strang3majik; May 9, 2019 at 09:10 PM.
SoSoEVO (May 10, 2019)
Old Aug 25, 2019, 07:39 PM

Hey everyone, it has a been a good while since I have made an update. Not much has changed visually to the car, but, it has been running reliably and has been tuned by my PA buddy Grant at House of Power. He was on vacation in FL and made the time to come down and do a street calibration for me. Can't say many tuners would do that.

He estimates ~335whp right now...but I have stock exhaust (with a test pipe) and stock intercooler piping still...and a mocked up VW boost control solenoid which won't spike over 20psi. Lol. He also added no-lift-shifting, which is badass. I've never had a car with that before.

I still plan to take it to him to have it fine tuned on the dyno once I get the remaining pieces, but, its completely drive-able now and I am very impressed with it. Evo X brakes are awesome as well! So far its everything I've hoped for...lol Now just to make it look the part. I've put closed to 250 miles on it so far without issue.

Only real changes are...I had to replace the fuel tank...again...with a brand new one. Apparently the guy I got mine from ran E85 or something...the tank looked brand new inside from the fuel pump and sender holes, but after the first few runs, I had no fuel pressure...opened the tank to find it full of what looked like sand, a clogged pickup filter, and a rusty brand new Walbro. So...nothing like doing that job twice! I went brand new the second time because screw doing that again.

Also, I picked up an AMS intercooler, Forge BPV, and Cusco front brace...and installed an AEM wideband. I'm waiting to refill the project funds for paint...but that's literally all it needs right now...paint then reassembly :/

Anyway...here's some more pics!

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-svcyjq5.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-0infwfl.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-smjpesh.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-mkxz787.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-zvph2rn.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-illhmiq.jpg
Old Aug 25, 2019, 08:09 PM

Tank swap...

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-u086zkl.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-imi10oz.jpg