Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:34 PM

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
05 Evo 8 Resurrection

Hi everyone...been a while since I've been here since I sold my Evo X a few years ago, but, I'm back, finally. I've wanted an Evo 8/9 since my middle school days playing NFS in 03/04...but...fast forward to working age...the 8/9s were too old to consider (due to price point), therefore why I settled for an Evo X. Don't get me wrong, I loved that car...but it wasn't the Rally Red Evo 8/9 I wanted of growing up...my "obtainable dream car" if you will.

Fast forward to this year...I decided it was time...and that my best bet would be find one in need of a lot of attention to keep it cost effective.

Just last week, my buddy was perusing CL and found it...an 05 Evo 8, and most important to me...in rally red.

Its been sitting for 4 years, but, it was a solid shell with a "mostly" intact drivetrain, and best of all, it was likely the cheapest Evo I've come across. Of course "cheap" comes with a few asterisks...it was involved in a crash that blew the bags, but the PO already replaced the radiator support, had the frame checked, and got a replacement bumper. The ACD pump and intercooler took the brunt of the crash...so, being the PO removed most of that system, I plan to swap the TC to a non-ACD and swap my LSD over. The only thing that is annoying is that the PO started "borrowing" parts off of the engine for another Evo he was building...so, that will take some time to figure out what all is missing (where this site comes in! ), but, its nothing I haven't gone through before. A few plugs that need identified as well...but we'll get there. Lol. I'm used to BMWs, so, I've been loving how simple these cars really are.

PO did swap in front SSL seats and the lower rear seat...also had a snakeskin in the cabin air filter which is pretty neat...but this is Florida after all. Lol

Due to the unknown state of the engine (since I obviously never heard it run), I plan to pull it and go through it, and replace/upgrade as I go along. Any parts that are missing or damaged, if there's something better, I'll go that route. My final goal is a street/autox car with an eventual goal of ~350hp. It is going to be a lot of work and take some time/money. In the end, I will likely have been able to buy a decent Evo, but, this one will be gone through and exactly as I want it...and it'll be easier on the piggy bank stretching it out over time.

I plan to keep this thread updated as I go along. I want to start with the body/brakes/etc as that will take the least amount of work, then move on to the drivetrain. I am in no hurry, so this will take some time, but, it is something I have always wanted, so...I'll make it happen! Lol. I've already pulled the seats/console/carpet/trunk liners and cleaned them and the floor...all looked good.

Enough of my rambling...Here is one of the only pics I have of it so far, after I got the car to my shop and cleaned it up. Also included one of my other car...my 87 BMW 325e that I swapped an m62b44 v8 and 6 speed from a 97 BMW 540i...just so you guys understand I'm no stranger to doing stupid things...lol

10/04/2013

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-xxspzro.jpg

08/28/2018

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-ryl44cr.jpg

11/06/2022.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-b6w0eza.jpg

Last edited by strang3majik; Feb 15, 2023 at 08:42 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts
Good luck . Keep us updated. Looking forward to more pictures of progress.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 03:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice e30! Good luck!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:08 PM

My apologies for slacking already. Have a ton of pictures coming up.

First thing I did with the car was give it a serious douching. It had been sitting beside the PO's brother's house for a few years.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-r6pskzg.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-wimityh.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-5ijhtiz.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-bbltxdi.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-rvzzxow.jpg

Then...in true Florida fashion...a sudden downpour...

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-4gpmglm.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-ac7jz6g.jpg

Found the remnants of, what I hope, is a former tenant.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-fmonbge.jpg

Interior back together...(didn't take a front pic for whatever reason).

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-qhvrbkk.jpg

More on the way!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:12 PM

Then came the engine pull...I know...going out the bottom is easier. This wasn't difficult though.

Don't mind my mess of a shop...my Starion and Omni GLH are lurking in the background. The rest are my father's projects.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-7uiebzk.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-yoa2xp3.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-3tivtac.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-x9yydbk.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-uk2yznw.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-thabzng.jpg
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:40 PM

Next came inspection time. I learned a lot here...essentially...that someone along the line through together an engine to make it appear whole from the outside -__-

First realization...the trans bellhousing is cracked and bent...luckily its still available through Mitsubishi. Planning on having it rebuilt...don't worry. Looking at going with TRE I believe.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-mg6qj11.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-lqid0b9.jpg

Now let us have a look at the engine... ... ...

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-t9a1tmf.jpg

Appears somewhat normal so far...

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-jkhmvch.jpg

ARP main studs...that's neat. Wonder why all the other hardware is stock...

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-ebfo9by.jpg

Sitting without a hood isn't good.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-6eaph4j.jpg

Eww.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-mixgniv.jpg

Lovely.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-8arhi34.jpg

Cleans up okay...but is it supposed to do that?.?.(the one that didn't move was the broken one) Literally leaked oil right through and poured all over the ground when I filled the cylinders before spinning it over.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-moxvcc3.jpg

Hmm...

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-rhcqghw.jpg

Ehh...something got kinda hot.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-vujed91.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-exvbcrk.jpg

Yea...think its rebuild time...off to the machinist!

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-d61hpl9.jpg

Oh....then my e30 decided to be a dick -__-

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-wbodxry.jpg
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:53 PM

Soooo...basically...

ENGINE

The engine through a rod at some point which is evident by some markings inside the block. Machinist said its just superficial though...engine is over-bored, what we believe to be .020 over (he will let me know later this week) and someone put stock pistons in it to fill the holes. One of the pistons was even broken.

The crank had spun a main and a rod bearing at some point...and some jack-hole had scratched the front main surface with a screwdriver deep enough to feel with the pad of your finger...not just the fingernail...

So...the stock crank is being sent off to be turned. Block is being checked, decked, and honed/bored depending on the machinist recommendations.

I'm going to take all this as a time to upgrade as necessary. I'm not chasing numbers...but my goal now is to shoot closer to 400/450hp eventually...going to stick with the stock turbo to start til I get used to the car...as I mentioned in my initial post, I want an AutoX/track car. I'm not building a 1/4 mile car.

That being said...I plan to go with rods/pistons to meet that eventual goal then some so I don't have to worry about it.

Cams are shot...so going aftermarket with those as well...also plan to do valve springs, etc. Valves will be replaced with OEM style (unless anyone has any other recommendations).

TRANSAXLE

Trans bellhousing is dead...its been welded several times at some point. It's bent and cracked...so that will need replaced. The rest of the case looks great though besides the oxidation. Input shaft/clutch fork look terrible, but the trans does spin like butter and goes into every gear. The car does only have 94k and no telling if this has been rebuilt before.

Plan to have it rebuilt regardless just for piece of mind.

TRANSFER CASE

OEM ACD transfer case is all there and looks good, but, the ACD system has been completely removed from the car (computer, harness, pump, lines) so I plan to find and pickup a Non ACD transfer case and swap my LSD over. Though finding one is proving difficult.

That's about it for now! I'm accumulating the list of parts I need and picking up a few this weekend. Will try to update a little more regularly to avoid vomiting pics again. Thanks to everyone who cares to view!

Having to juggle with this and getting my e30 ready for my friends and I's trip to NC at the end of October...apparently it was getting jealous and decided it wanted a new water pump -__- Only 20k on the OEM one in the car...meh. Broke My Wallet.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
great write up...

couple of things.
I dont think its that good of an idea to turn the stock crank.. How do you keep the shavings out of the oil passages?

good luck finding a non acd transfer case!!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by hutch959
great write up...

couple of things.
I dont think its that good of an idea to turn the stock crank.. How do you keep the shavings out of the oil passages?

good luck finding a non acd transfer case!!

​​​​​​Funny you mention that...just received a call from the machinist...

The block is bored +1mm. He was able to hone it and it came out beautifully.

I talked with a local who has a 900hp DSM who recommended I find another stock crank as it is plenty string, but he too advised against having it turned.

He also recommended Weisco pistons and either Eagle or Manley H beams.

The head also checked out...just need to order new valves, seals, and springs.

So my suspicions were confirmed...someone stuck stock pistons in an overbored block for some odd reason.

And thanks! Picking up an engine harness and a few other misc items tomorrow.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Man that one hell of a project, I'm glad you giving her some TLC, unlike the PO
Old Sep 26, 2018, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts
Love seeing these projects....
Old Sep 28, 2018, 01:24 AM

It is a hell of a project...I'm realizing it more and more with every part I look for...haha. She'll be completed though.

But...okay...update time!

Got the ECU from the previous owner...so I at least have that.

Went over to Vero Beach (about 3.5hrs away) and laid in a junkyard in the Florida heat yanking parts from an Evo 8. It was the most depressing junkyard I've ever been to...only two Evo 8s...but tons of Evo Xs, WRXs, SRT4s, etc. Lucked out with a pair of headlights, a hood, a wing (needs to have it imo...lol), all the harnesses I'm missing (I think), stock intercooler, abs pump, and a bunch of random pieces that I knew I didn't have like the oil cooler brackets (I'm not using the smashed one don't worry...lol), power steering resovoir and hoses, coolant overflow, front fender liners...I think that's about it. Was a score though. Took a bunch of photos for reference for myself as well...which helped a ton.

Also forgot to grab the smaller harness (that has the battery cables on it) and front half of the driveshaft, so they shipped them to me.

Also! Just ordered a ton of parts for the engine. I settled on a 2.2L stroker after input from several sources advising against a 2.3L.

94mm Eagle Crank
150mm Manley H-Tuff Rods
JE 86mm 9.0:1 pistons (made for this combo)
Balance Shaft Elimination
OEM oil pump/cover
ARP L19 head studs
ACL tri-metal bearing set
OEM gasket set
Kiggly Beehive Springs
MAP black nitride valves
Supertech bronze in/ex guides and seals

Planning on ordering GSC S2 cams as well...but want to wait as I'm not there yet. Thinking about the Kiggly HLA pressure regulator as well.

This is definitely a learning experience...but I've been reading more than I ever cared to. Should know my way around a 4g63 and an Evo when this is done. Lol!

Also spoke to my buddy in PA and he has a Non-ACD tcase. Un...kinda...fortunately its a built English Racing tcase...unfortunate because its expensive, but...good because I should not have to worry about it ever. Lol.

And!!! picked up an Evo 7 valve cover since my stock one is cracked...got it for what I thought was pretty cheap since it was already partially stripped...cheaper than I see most stock ones go for anyway. Thinking wrinkle red powder coat.

Anyways...here's some pics of the latest...might be a week or so til the next update, but...progress is being made! Hopefully I can actually start working on it soon instead of just collecting pieces to the puzzle...haha.

For anyone who has ever wonder what central Florida looks like...splattered love bugs (thank you University of Florida), and flat nothingness.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-hlhjjkb.jpg

Dead Evo X and Evo 8 (naturally didn't get a pic of the one I got parts from...doh!)

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-kzfgf6u.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-kc4zieh.jpg

All loaded up.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-clu1qta.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-lrpd1yn.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-acipbns.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-wwdy3lx.jpg

Also...not sure how much you guys are interested...but new water pump on my e30 and finally put the tires (Toyo R1R 245/35r17) and stoptech brake rotors/pads on it...and I was bored so took it out for some pictures.

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-snxstcy.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-mftrefm.jpg
Old Sep 29, 2018, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Good progress so far. Do the Kiggly HLA. If you are in there and plan to track the car it's worth it.
The following users liked this post:
strang3majik (Jan 11, 2019)
Old Oct 1, 2018, 07:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like a great project so far! Definitely going to be keeping an eye on this build thread.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by codgi
Good progress so far. Do the Kiggly HLA. If you are in there and plan to track the car it's worth it.
I definitely will! I will probably order that when I order the cams.

Originally Posted by status:one
Looks like a great project so far! Definitely going to be keeping an eye on this build thread.
Thanks! I feel like there's some progress actually being made finally!

Okay...parts update again!

Engine parts all came in...already dropped them off to the machinist, but, here's some pics when they arrived. I also received the 1000 mile English Racing built non ACD tcase from my buddy in PA...its apparently an 06 RS unit as well. Amazing the size difference between the two. Also got a bunch of other parts from him I forgot to take photos of (new Mitsu 5 speed bellhousing, new timing cover, oil pan, random engine bits I was missing, oil squirters, etc)

Anyways...here's some pictures! Machinist said the engine should be ready next week! He's balancing the crank for me as well following a recommendation from a few members on here. Also...when I showed him the balance shaft elimination kit I bought...he showed me that on my block, someone drilled and tapped all the oil feed holes for the balance shafts and installed set screws to plug them. Found that kinda curious but...nice to know that was done.

Once I get the engine back, I am going to start tackling the work on the car installing the harnesses and cleaning it up and such while engine pieces are getting powder coated and I'm waiting on the extra bits and such. So expect more soon!

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-qtcvq3w.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-lm48qrw.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-cjbmqo7.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-f3n4hpc.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-jmryy9c.jpg

05 Evo 8 Resurrection-43pvq1l.jpg

Quick Reply: 05 Evo 8 Resurrection