Notices
Project Cars and Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

06 MR - The Baby Hauler Build

Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Liked 33 Times in 31 Posts
For some reason I cant edit the post before this so I will add it here instead. Here are some comparisons for before and after the cat. Red line is before install.

Old Dec 27, 2018, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Liked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Oh no Sean! Hopefully the new fuel pump and injectors will fix the issue. Lets see some pics of those bright green calipers Also I had a great time this weekend, we'll have to get together soon just to hang out.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:28 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks View Post
Alright, so I am sure some of you saw in the other thread that my boost drop issue has been fixed! 2 days now and its running amazing still. For those who dont know, it was indeed the snorkel issue. To fix that, I am going with an aftermarket intake. I am also going to put on an aftermarket lower heat exchanger pipe on it. After driving this thing for a few months with the Tomei Ti exhaust, I think its time for it to go. Too loud for me. There arent many options for exhaust when running the JDM bumper so I have decided to build my own. That will happen in 2 weeks or so. Waiting on a buddy to get all the tubing and such. A down pipe and high flow cat will be added at the same time. So happy I can finally move on to the fun stuff!
DUDE CONGRATS!!! So glad to hear that you fixed the issues! Now to move on to bigger and better mods lol.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys! Glad to be modding now. Its a good feeling. FIC injectors and a Wally will be here next week in prep for e85! Just got to figure out the TephraMod stuff and all shall be good.

Pictures for Soso.... BTW - That exhaust is still super quiet. I love it! Still need to fix the tip one of these days. Hope that Tomei is still sounding great for you!

The following users liked this post: Lumpy Sticks
SoSoEVO (Jan 2, 2019)
Old Dec 31, 2018, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Fluid change has been done. Got all of the following changed today.

- trans
- rear end
- t-case / front diff
- engine oil

T-case oil took forever to change. Mostly cause it was fill it and then wait for it to level off. Then fill it and wait some more. Repeate about 10 times and call it good. Took almost 3/4 of a qt so we should be good. All old fluid came out nice and clean except the engine oil. It was a bit dark. Trans shifts much nicer now. It's a good feeling to know what fluid I am running and how many miles it has on it. No more guessing.
SoSoEVO (Jan 2, 2019)
Old Jan 1, 2019, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Liked 97 Times in 75 Posts
Fluid change has been done. Got all of the following changed today.

- trans
- rear end
- t-case / front diff
- engine oil

T-case oil took forever to change. Mostly cause it was fill it and then wait for it to level off. Then fill it and wait some more. Repeate about 10 times and call it good. Took almost 3/4 of a qt so we should be good. All old fluid came out nice and clean except the engine oil. It was a bit dark. Trans shifts much nicer now. It's a good feeling to know what fluid I am running and how many miles it has on it. No more guessing.
Nice work! You are probably good on the tcase but may want to double check it after a short drive.
The ACD tcase can give a false full. Some people will overfill from the bottom, then drive over 25mph for a short period and drain access out.
I usually will fill it normally , then drive a short distance and refill it twice. If you have access to a drive on lift it may be more accurate then jack stands for the fluid level.

TRE mentions it when servicing the Trans or ACD T case.

http://www.teamrip.com/t-case-oil/
Old Jan 1, 2019, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
Nice work! You are probably good on the tcase but may want to double check it after a short drive.
The ACD tcase can give a false full. Some people will overfill from the bottom, then drive over 25mph for a short period and drain access out.
I usually will fill it normally , then drive a short distance and refill it twice. If you have access to a drive on lift it may be more accurate then jack stands for the fluid level.

TRE mentions it when servicing the Trans or ACD T case.

http://www.teamrip.com/t-case-oil/
Thanks for the heads up. I did a lot of reading on different ways to fill the t case. All recommended driving it and checking again. So that's what I plan to do, hopefully tomorrow. It's easy enough to do so might as well double check everything I just did to be safe. It's crazy how small of fluid capacities everything has. I'm used to rear ends holding +2 qts, trans holding +5 qts, t cases around 4 qt..... the evo is just odd I guess.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Looks like the last of my e85 stuff showed up today! I may attempt to put some e85 in it this weekend. We shall see how the tuning goes on 91 first.

Old Jan 7, 2019, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Looks like the last of my e85 stuff showed up today! I may attempt to put some e85 in it this weekend. We shall see how the tuning goes on 91 first.

Did you get a chance to tune over the weekend Sean?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Nope, this weekend was a waste for me. I was on kid duty Saturday morning. Then the rain came and ruined everything for Saturday night. And of course, more rain on Sunday. Hopefully I can find some time after work this week to throw the injectors in and get the scaling done on the tune. I still need to put my 3 port boost solenoid back in so I can go back to ecu controlled boost and I kinda want to do that before e85 as well.

However, something good did happen this weekend. I went out to get some food and stopped at the one gas stations near by that I thought carried e85. I can happily say that they still carry it! Its halfway between work and home so that is good too.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Nope, this weekend was a waste for me. I was on kid duty Saturday morning. Then the rain came and ruined everything for Saturday night. And of course, more rain on Sunday. Hopefully I can find some time after work this week to throw the injectors in and get the scaling done on the tune. I still need to put my 3 port boost solenoid back in so I can go back to ecu controlled boost and I kinda want to do that before e85 as well.

However, something good did happen this weekend. I went out to get some food and stopped at the one gas stations near by that I thought carried e85. I can happily say that they still carry it! Its halfway between work and home so that is good too.
Ah ok, I'll be around Saturday if you wanna cruise around and grab some lunch or something.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

I think I should be free this weekend. Guess it depends on the weather again. If its going to rain on Saturday, I am going to try to go up to Arrowhead again for the night and catch the snow. We shall see.

To all Socal people Streets of Willow Feb 2 through Speed Ventures. Be there! Pretty sure Soso said he is going and I am working with my buddies Odi Bakchis and Matt Fields to come join us as well. Should be a fun day at the track.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Since phase 1 is nearly complete (just have to install injectors and tune accordingly), it's time to move on to phase 2. Getting it track worthy. As mentioned above, I plan on going to the track in a few weeks. Things like my duralast brake pads and 4** tread wear tires (installed by PO) just aren't going to cut it. So hopefully sometime soon my rt615+ will be installed. I also ordered up some Centric carbon rotors and EBC blue pads all around. Ya I could have got better pads but for how little road course action I will see, price comes into play. Going to turn my current rotors and get auto-x friendly pads as the DD setup. I will be doing a lot more auto-x than big track stuff. After reading up on countless threads that said there is no such thing as a DD style pad that holds up on the big tracks, I decided to do the correct thing by having 2 separate sets. It's going to be a slow journey from here. I want to get to know the car in stock form and start doing little things one by one to get it to handle how I like. Stay tuned!
SoSoEVO (Jan 9, 2019)
Old Jan 14, 2019, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Update! Over the weekend, I got my throttle body shaft seals installed. Pretty sure they took care of my odd lean idle issue I was having. There is definitely more resistance while opening and closing the throttle body so I think that means they are sealing better. It also makes about 1-2 psi more boost now. The old ones looked pretty flat and worn out. Did not do a boost leak to verify. After that, I decided to throw my new injectors in. That was super easy. Scaled them according to the chart they came with and it fired right up and idled nice. Its still a bit fat down low but nothing a little fine tuning cant fix. But now I have a weird issue on how much load it hits, about half of what it was before. Injectors are about twice as big so I think the scaling has something to do with it. Dont know, will get to that sometime.

Also, my nice shiny Centric carbon rotors showed up today. Brake pads should be here sometime this week too. And my rear o2 sensor should be showing up any time now so that I can finally get rid of the wonderful CEL. Its supposed to rain all week so I doubt anything will get put on. Probably just the o2 sensor so I can seal up the hole in my floor.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

And my dad just sent me this link... Didnt even know it existed. Apparently even though my Bug just sits in the garage, it still gets featured in articles haha.

https://www.hotcars.com/25-amazing-h...und-the-world/
SoSoEVO (Jan 15, 2019)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.