Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

06 MR - The Baby Hauler Build

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 06:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
And my dad just sent me this link... Didnt even know it existed. Apparently even though my Bug just sits in the garage, it still gets featured in articles haha.

https://www.hotcars.com/25-amazing-h...und-the-world/
Dude you're famous...that's badass "Bugzilla" you never told me it had over 400whp!?!? You gotta take me for a rip in that thing next time I come over!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Thanks Soso. Thats one of about 10 articles its come out in so far in the past year or two. For sure, next time you are over we will take it for a spin. It needs some dust knocked off it anyways. You are absolutely going to love it or be scared and never want to go in it again haha. Ohh and its only about 350whp. Roughly 425hp at the crank. But being a hair over 2000 lbs makes it a blast.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Alright, I need some opinions from you guys. I have about had it with ECUflash. I have been having odd issues since day one and since its old, there is not much support going on. Due to that, I have been thinking of just taking my car to a tuner and letting them figure it out for me. I know someone who is familiar with the program can get everything to work how its supposed to. However, thats going to cost me somewhere in the $700 range and every time I want something big changed, more money. It makes me mad cause I know how to tune but I just dont know the program and with the lack of support, its hard to learn how to use it. After talking to my buddies over at AEM, they are willing to help me out like normal. So lets just say for a little bit more then having someone tune my car, I can get an Infinity 5 ecu and plug and play wiring adapter. I actually know how to use the AEM software and doubt I would run into any big issues. Even if I have issues, I can get support. Obviously, the AEM has way more options then the factory ecu which is awesome and to me, that right there is worth it. True flex fuel? Yes please. Fully functioning wideband even on WOT? Yes again. More safety parameters then ever needed....

So am I over thinking this? You guys think I should go through with it? Just leave it alone and get it tuned? Opinions greatly wanted...
Old Jan 19, 2019, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Alright, I need some opinions from you guys. I have about had it with ECUflash. I have been having odd issues since day one and since its old, there is not much support going on. Due to that, I have been thinking of just taking my car to a tuner and letting them figure it out for me. I know someone who is familiar with the program can get everything to work how its supposed to. However, thats going to cost me somewhere in the $700 range and every time I want something big changed, more money. It makes me mad cause I know how to tune but I just dont know the program and with the lack of support, its hard to learn how to use it. After talking to my buddies over at AEM, they are willing to help me out like normal. So lets just say for a little bit more then having someone tune my car, I can get an Infinity 5 ecu and plug and play wiring adapter. I actually know how to use the AEM software and doubt I would run into any big issues. Even if I have issues, I can get support. Obviously, the AEM has way more options then the factory ecu which is awesome and to me, that right there is worth it. True flex fuel? Yes please. Fully functioning wideband even on WOT? Yes again. More safety parameters then ever needed....

So am I over thinking this? You guys think I should go through with it? Just leave it alone and get it tuned? Opinions greatly wanted...
If you are familiar with Inifnity and can get a hookup, I don't see the downside of going with it
As you say, there are a lot more feature like true flex fuel, true anti lag etc etc

Old Jan 19, 2019, 04:45 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I think the biggest barrier of entry with the stock ecu is how fragmented the knowledge is. You really have to spend a tremendous amount of time researching to get a handle on it. The available xml's also aren't up to date or complete so you need to put that together for yourself by pulling defs out of various threads. It's a challenge for sure. The biggest pro I can think of for the stock ecu is it will pass smog, which is why I have stuck with it
Old Jan 19, 2019, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully a few more chime in too.

I forgot to mention but my car doesnt get any yearly smog check. 100% exempt. So changing the ECU makes no difference there.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

The deed has been done. AEM Infinity series 5 ecu and wiring adapter have been ordered. I am excited to see what this system can do! Mostly for the flex fuel stuff...
Old Jan 23, 2019, 01:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
The deed has been done. AEM Infinity series 5 ecu and wiring adapter have been ordered. I am excited to see what this system can do! Mostly for the flex fuel stuff...
I am excited for you and I know the feeling of being able to tune, but not know how to get the ECU to do what you want. I tried creating a Tephra V7 base map for speed density once with all the latest XML's I could find. Once I saved the file and reopened it, the map looked completely different . I think going AEM and not looking back was a great choice for you, especially because you already know how to use it for the most part. Are you going with the GM Flex fuel sensor?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, I gave up on Tephra and ECUflash. I threw my old injectors and old tune back in and called it a day. It runs perfect again at least. Good enough for my track day in 2 weeks.

The AEM should do everything I want and then some while being easier to setup and tune. I am going to go with the AEM flex fuel sensor. Trying to keep everything the same brand so they work together better. Wideband is already AEM. Later on down the road, I will get one of the AEM CD7 displays so that I can have a cool looking dash display haha.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 01:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Yep, I gave up on Tephra and ECUflash. I threw my old injectors and old tune back in and called it a day. It runs perfect again at least. Good enough for my track day in 2 weeks.

The AEM should do everything I want and then some while being easier to setup and tune. I am going to go with the AEM flex fuel sensor. Trying to keep everything the same brand so they work together better. Wideband is already AEM. Later on down the road, I will get one of the AEM CD7 displays so that I can have a cool looking dash display haha.
Right on man. I like the CD5 and CD7 displays better than the Racepack displays. The first time I saw it installed was on Bissimoto's track Porsche during a Hoonigan Build Biology episode and was very impressed with it. Some of these things are GPS and dataplan enabled which is insane to me, but very useful.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Ya I was contemplating the Racepak but the lack of a full color screen and being around the same price (with my discount), I just cant see going the Racepak route. I have a CD7 in stock right now and I want to see if its going to fit. If not, I will have to do the CD5 which is kinda small. I dont think I need the GPS or logging features so I will save some money and just get the standard display. Cool options for sure but not needed in my case. If I really wanted to get fancy, I would go Motec... but then there is the crazy price difference. No thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Alright, I think I am done spending money for a while. These past couple weeks have made me broke. Track pads and rotors are now here and will be getting installed on Saturday. As previously noted, I went with the Centric carbon blank rotors and EBC blue pads. We will see if they work good or not. Next Saturday is track day at Willow Springs!

The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Jan 25, 2019)
Old Jan 26, 2019, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Brakes are on. Currently waiting for my tires to get swapped out. I also popped off my under tray as it got ripped off and cracked from the last river I had to drive through. Just got to break in the brakes and its ready for the track next weekend. They were smoking on the way to the tire shop haha.

Edit - forgot to say I was nice enough to put a valet tune in my car before I left the tire shop. Not much they can do with a 2k limiter haha.

Last edited by Lumpy Sticks; Jan 26, 2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Finishing up on the other half of my update. After I got the brakes on, I took the car down to get the tires put on. I was actually pleased to see that the guy who was swapping my tires drove an Evo X. Didnt talk to him much but he had a very clean car with some tasteful mods. So the RE760 econo tires are off and the RT615k+ are on. Ya I know I could have got better tires but for the price I got these for, I couldnt pass them up. They look good at least. As I also mentioned in the post above, my under tray was cracked. I completely forgot I have a brand new one sitting in my shed. So I will order up new clips that dont have the stupid phillips head and put the new one back on.

Now on to the next thing that has been driving me crazy. The exhaust tip on the RRE exhaust. It was made for a USDM bumper and obviously I have a JDM bumper. The angle is wrong and it sticks out way past the bumper. So I ordered a nice stainless exhaust tip and will cut the old one off and weld on the new one. Should look 1000x better. I also have a small exhaust leak at the DP and cat flange, so a new gasket is on the way to solve that issue as well. Its crazy that its hard to find good gaskets anymore. Everyone sells those extra cheap silver China gaskets that blow out in 5 min. Must be why they offer a 10 pack for $10. But I found a good gasket at an ok price so we will see how long it last for.

Rain or shine, it looks like I will be at Streets of Willow this weekend. I really hope it doesnt rain though. My AEM ecu and such is supposed to come in early next week and then tuning will begin yet again. I have been reading up on the installation process and its not so direct plug and play as I thought. There is a ton of stuff I have to do/modify/check before I can even fire the car up on the new system. Part of that will be welding on an IAT bung to one of the cooler pipes so that I can get real IAT readings. Finally making the switch over to speed density!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 01:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Just weld on that burnt exhaust tip from my old setup haha!

Quick Reply: 06 MR - The Baby Hauler Build