Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

06 MR - The Baby Hauler Build

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
Yeah, i'd probably do the same. Drive it some more to make sure it is actually blown or just a bit used. Mine was silent when it got on RRE's dyno and screaming when it came off of it. I feel like hub dyno's can be a little tough on the drivetrain though. We have had a few more rainy days than usual this year and temps are supposed to drop as low as 34 degrees tonight. San Diego is drunk right now.
Oh ya, I am going to keep driving until it really starts to whine. Who know, maybe I will get another 20k miles. Maybe it will be another 100 mile. Dont know. If it makes it another 500 miles, I am going to drain the fluid again and then pop the inspection cover to see how bad the ring and pinion are. If they dont look terrible, I will keep driving. But in the mean time, I will be car shopping for a new DD, something cheap. I sold 4 of my vehicles last year so I have no spare car besides my Bug which will not be driven in this weather. Shep said the rebuild can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks so I will kinda need another car when I put the Evo down.

And yes, the weather over here is not much different then in SD. Was a bit chilly when I left the house this morning. I am sure it was in the 20s a couple hours earlier.

Old Feb 7, 2019, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

I had a chance to measure the amount of fluid that came out of the t-case. I only had jack stands under the front of the car so I am sure there was still some fluid left in the case but I still got 550ml / .58qt out. So I dont think low fluid level was the cause. Was this just something random that happened? I mean the car only has 60k on it and the original fluid came out looking new. Was it cause of driving (more like drifting everywhere) in the rain on the track causing the center diff to work too much and overheat? Just looking for some answers to make sure this doesnt happen again.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Here we are 2 weeks after the track day and t-case is still whining. I was hoping it was going to fix itself.... Going to do an oil change and change the t-case fluid one more time next weekend just to see what it looks like. Going to pull the inspection plate to see what the ring and pinion look like and go from there.

In other news, my check engine light has been going off cause of my high flow cat. I double and triple checked the tune mod I had loaded in. Everything looked right but the light was still coming on. So I found another tune mod, loaded it on and then loaded the tune in. Hopefully that's the last of the cel.

Progress has been slow on tuning the new AEM ecu. All this rain has been ruining it. Most of the part throttle stuff below boost is tuned. I really like the system so far. It's way easier to use then ECUflash and at the same time, it has way more options to adjust. I am also going to initially tune it on the manual boost controller and once I have the tune dialed in, switch over to the ECU controlled solenoid. Figured that it would be safer to do it that way. It will be done one of these days. Just need 1 full free day....
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Got some tuning done tonight! Had my buddy drive me around the block a few times as I was doing some live tuning. Live tuning is so nice to have again. After a few laps, I got the tune halfway decent for 15 psi and up to 4500 rpm. Getting closer!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

This morning, I found out my Evo is faster than a CTR. I figured it should be but nice to actually know it is.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 09:35 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Seans state of mind:

Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Haha good one! The real mind blower, after doing some research, is that the CTR makes around 300 whp in bone stock form. In terms of HP, im not that far ahead and its got me beat by 100 lbs. The guy works a few shops down from me and I want to go talk to him one of these days to see if he will take me for a ride in it.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
CTR specs are 306 HP & 295 ft-lbs, weighs 3117 lbs. I have not looked to see if they are under rated so there is that variable. But yeah it is nice to know a minor bolt on Evo is faster.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I posted before I read the latest comments. My bad.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

No worries! I do the same thing all the time. And yes, minor bolt on Evo FTW!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 01:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Have always considered my modified EvO (460 whp / DJ) to have stock GTR pulling performance. I used to run a few stock GTR's at the Fontana Roval & they were no match for a track day EvO
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Joe - We need to get you and the GTR killer back on the track. No more hard parking that beautiful RS. I think you need to join us at the next track event we go to!

On another note, I am really fed up with the factory ECU. No matter what "mod" I do to get rid of the 2nd o2 sensor code, it keeps popping back on. I could have sworn after doing the last mod (THIS ONE), I could unplug the sensor and it wasnt supposed to throw a code. But no, popped back on in 1 day. I really need to finish up the tune on the AEM so I can move on from this non sense. Also, I finally found something I dont like with the AEM system. I turned on the check engine light function and sure enough it came on during tuning. I went to try to find out where it displays the codes and couldnt find anything. I emailed my AEM rep about it and he pretty much said that there are no codes, it just pops on when there is an issue. I have to review my logs to attempt to find out what the issue is....
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:18 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Joe - We need to get you and the GTR killer back on the track. No more hard parking that beautiful RS. I think you need to join us at the next track event we go to!
Hi Sean. You and SoSo prepare for a May 4th or 5th Fontana & will drive out to pit for ya!

Joe
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

That track day is on our list so that might just work out. It all depends on my t-case though. I am going to try to pull the inspection cover this weekend to see what kind of condition the ring and pinion are in. If they look decent, I will keep running it until it completely dies. If they look that bad, I will try to find time to get it out and rebuilt before the track day. If anything, I will still go and just be a copilot for Soso and my buddy with the S2000.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Its official. OEM ecu is finally out. AEM is officially in permanently. I had about a hour to tune tonight and I guess that's all I needed. This thing is super easy and quick to tune. Tune is 90% good. I put a good 20 miles on it, logged the whole time and all is good, just have to do some fine tuning. I turned on the wideband feedback and it's amazing. It adjust very quickly to the point where you could be a bad tuner and it would make your tune look perfect. We will see what kind of gas mileage I get next tank.

Last edited by Lumpy Sticks; Feb 22, 2019 at 11:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 06 MR - The Baby Hauler Build