Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

06 MR - The Baby Hauler Build

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 09:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Great news Sean! Still gotta take me for a ride in the new setup.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Yes sir! You need to go for a ride in the Bug too. I also want to suck the calibration out of your car to keep on file since it was the factory "updated" cal. Maybe this weekend if it doesnt rain too much?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Apparently the picture uploader isnt working so no pictures will go with this post. But thanks to Don, I now have a nice, shiny, loud, HKS exhaust on my car. It doesnt fit the JDM bumper that great so I need to figure out what to modify. Not sure if I want to cut the tubing and slide the muffler back or just trim part of the bumper and call it a day.

Also, it was absolutely pouring on my way to work this morning. Wipers were on the warp speed setting and I still couldnt see anything. When I got off the freeway, I noticed the battery light lit up and the RPM down to about 300. It caught itself and didnt die but my AFR was around 18 and holding steady. Voltage at idle was normal too. Took off from the light and it started bucking in 2nd gear at 2000 rpm. Looked at the afr, still in the 18s. Got to the next light and it seemed to go back to normal. Cruised down the next street and AFRs were good. Turned into my works parking lot and it died. Fired right back up but AFRs were still super lean. Parked it, let it idle, started off lean and then went back to normal after a couple seconds. Not sure what I have going on now. Probably got something a bit too wet. We will see if it works when I go to lunch.
The following users liked this post:
2006EvoIXer (Mar 6, 2019)
Old Mar 6, 2019, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Oh wow, that is strange! You are on SD right? Omni sensor going bad???
Old Mar 7, 2019, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Oh wow, that is strange! You are on SD right? Omni sensor going bad???
Yep, on SD right now so we can eliminate the MAF getting wet. I felt the air filter and it felt dry too. I hope my MAP isnt going bad already! Its only a few months old. Oddly enough, it didnt act up anymore for the rest of the day. Everything seemed to be working perfect like normal. So who knows.... The Evo is parked until the weekend gets here so I will dig deeper into it later.

Picture uploader working again!

Old Mar 7, 2019, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Was tip blue from factory? Or did it turn blue as you drove it? It looks really nice! Be careful with blinging too bight in front of cops.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

The tip was blue from the factory. It sticks out pretty far and I dont like the 2 holes drilled in it for the baffle, so it might just get trimmed back a bit. Still undecided on how to go about modifying it to fit better. I will need your opinion when you swing by this weekend.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Be careful with titanium. It's super hard but it's also brittle at the same time.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 03:14 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
if your voltage dropped and you went lean you might need to adjust your injector compensations at lower voltages (I would hope AEM would have a table for that). That's just a guess at a symptom though. Your core problem of voltage dropping could have maybe been the alternator getting wet. That would explain the battery light coming on.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Be careful with titanium. It's super hard but it's also brittle at the same time.
Ya thats what I was thinking too. Not too sure if I really want to take the chance.

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
if your voltage dropped and you went lean you might need to adjust your injector compensations at lower voltages (I would hope AEM would have a table for that). That's just a guess at a symptom though. Your core problem of voltage dropping could have maybe been the alternator getting wet. That would explain the battery light coming on.
The alternator light came on cause the RPM dropped so low. Once the RPM came back up over 500, light was back off and it was sitting at 14 volts but still running lean. And yes, AEM does have voltage compensation for the injectors.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 04:49 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Ya thats what I was thinking too. Not too sure if I really want to take the chance.

The alternator light came on cause the RPM dropped so low. Once the RPM came back up over 500, light was back off and it was sitting at 14 volts but still running lean. And yes, AEM does have voltage compensation for the injectors.
for sure, just spit balling ideas.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
for sure, just spit balling ideas.
Thanks for bringing it up. It's something that not many people would think of when you see low voltage and lean afr.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Where to start... I guess with the simple things. Oil got changed. Oil was black. A sample is getting sent to Blackstone. Had 2500 miles on it. Rotella T6 went back in for a try. Also put my stock intake snorkel back on. Why not, right?

I had a little bit more free time so said, hey I'm going to change the rear diff fluid too. It's got one track event and 2500 miles on it so might as well.

Maybe it really is the rear diff I am hearing and not the t-case? That would be a nice find but I have a feeling it's actually going to be both.

Edit - forgot to say I put a camera down the fill plug of the rear end. I could only see one side of the gear teeth but it didnt look bad. It's a cheap camera so the image wasnt great. Also dont our diffs have a vent on them? My case was filled with vacuum when I pulled the drain plug. You could hear it sucking air when i was unscrewing it.

Last edited by Lumpy Sticks; Mar 17, 2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Oh wow, now I wonder if I need to change my rear diff fluid too. I have 11k on it since RRE changed it in 2017.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Probably wouldnt be a bad idea to change it. The fluid is cheap anyways since they dont even hold a Qt.

Well the good news is that at least when the diff is out, I can restack the plates. I still hope the diff is the problem and not the t-case. It is a lot quieter with new fluid, almost to the point that I cant hear it. When I changed the fluid in the t-case, it made no difference in noise. So hopefully that really does mean its the rear end.

Quick Reply: 06 MR - The Baby Hauler Build