Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

06 MR - The Baby Hauler Build

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
I really hate Mondays. Besides waking up late, getting to work late, getting no sleep thanks to a grumpy baby, my lower heat exchanger pipe decided to pop off going to lunch. I hit a nasty pot hole (been doing that a lot lately) and heard a "pop". Next thing I know, no boost! No tools on me either. And of course it had to be where it connected to the heat exchanger which is by far the funnest one to get to. So now I really need to make a support bracket for the tube so this doesnt happen again. The one good thing is now that I am on SD, I could still drive and made it back to the shop! The pipe did pop off another 6 times or so, so that kinda sucked. But I made it....
Old Mar 18, 2019, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Off topic but I listen to white noise sounds on Youtube to help me get in a deep sleep and make the most of the time I do sleep. Funny thing is my 2 year old is waking me up and not my 3 week old son. Go figure.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 03:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
I really hate Mondays. Besides waking up late, getting to work late, getting no sleep thanks to a grumpy baby, my lower heat exchanger pipe decided to pop off going to lunch. I hit a nasty pot hole (been doing that a lot lately) and heard a "pop". Next thing I know, no boost! No tools on me either. And of course it had to be where it connected to the heat exchanger which is by far the funnest one to get to. So now I really need to make a support bracket for the tube so this doesnt happen again. The one good thing is now that I am on SD, I could still drive and made it back to the shop! The pipe did pop off another 6 times or so, so that kinda sucked. But I made it....
Sounds like a Monday alright. Are you running T-bolt clamps or ring worm? My car decided to casually break down in front of a semi truck on Friday at a red light. Problem is electrical for sure. Going to be replacing MAP sensor, Crank Sensor, and both CAS's. Everything but the MAP has 115,000 miles on it and I don't like chancing electrical intermittent issues.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 04:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
Sounds like a Monday alright. Are you running T-bolt clamps or ring worm?:
I was wondering the same thing plus are the IC pipes bead rolled?

Old Mar 18, 2019, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lv05evo
Off topic but I listen to white noise sounds on Youtube to help me get in a deep sleep and make the most of the time I do sleep. Funny thing is my 2 year old is waking me up and not my 3 week old son. Go figure.
We play the white noise to make him sleep but it doesnt help me haha. He is 7 months old and teething so he has been waking up what seems like every 30 min. Are you not waking up every 3-4 hours to feed your youngest one? I know I was for the first couple months.

Originally Posted by Pal215
Sounds like a Monday alright. Are you running T-bolt clamps or ring worm? My car decided to casually break down in front of a semi truck on Friday at a red light. Problem is electrical for sure. Going to be replacing MAP sensor, Crank Sensor, and both CAS's. Everything but the MAP has 115,000 miles on it and I don't like chancing electrical intermittent issues.
The one that blew off did not have a t-bolt on it. In a few hours it will haha. Most of my other ones do have t-bolts. Lesson learned.

I would take hoses blowing off 1000x over electrical issues. Good luck sorting that out!

Originally Posted by terror rising
I was wondering the same thing plus are the IC pipes bead rolled?
Yes that they are. It popped off the heat exchanger though, not the piping. Its the ETS lower pipe and if you know them, they dont have a support bracket like factory. So all the tube does is bounce around. It was just a matter of time before it happened. I zip tied it in place for the time being. I think I will fab up a support bracket this weekend.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 06:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Yes that they are. It popped off the heat exchanger though, not the piping. Its the ETS lower pipe and if you know them, they dont have a support bracket like factory. So all the tube does is bounce around. It was just a matter of time before it happened. I zip tied it in place for the time being. I think I will fab up a support bracket this weekend.
I also have the ETS lower and it has never blown off. Has it leaked because I thought I tightened it down enough and I hadn't? Yes. Blown off? Nope. Support bracket will help but the couplers and T-bolts should do it by themselves. Either way it sounds like you're addressing both potential causes so hopefully it doesn't happen again.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by terror rising
I also have the ETS lower and it has never blown off. Has it leaked because I thought I tightened it down enough and I hadn't? Yes. Blown off? Nope. Support bracket will help but the couplers and T-bolts should do it by themselves. Either way it sounds like you're addressing both potential causes so hopefully it doesn't happen again.
The coupler didnt blow off cause of boost, not sure if I made that too clear or not. It was cause of the pot hole I hit. But yes either way, the clamps should have held it on. I dont have my undertray on either so the pipe really flops around. Since you have the same pipe, how does yours fit? Mine hangs pretty low. When I had my undertray on, you could see it pushing down badly. I even had to put a different coupler on the heat exchanger to make it fit better. I'll take some pictures here in a bit when I change the clamp out.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 07:05 PM
EvoM Guru

My bad, I read your post and figured the pothole + boost did it, not just the pothole. Mine has tried to hang low before but I learned to keep the couplers loose and rotate it up as much as I can before locking down the couplers. I assume you have LICP V2 (coupler is necked, not pipe), is that correct? I'm traveling for work so I can't take pics for you but I know I've run into that scenario. Leave both clamps on each coupler lose so all points of connection can float then rotate the pipe up and clamp that ish down to keep the pipe out of the way.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry about that. I tend to leave out important details sometime Haha. The v-bands I brought home are one size too big. So those aren't going on tonight. Its dark, I'll get those pictures tomorrow in the light so we can compare. I'll try your clamp tightening theory and see what it does!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
We play the white noise to make him sleep but it doesnt help me haha. He is 7 months old and teething so he has been waking up what seems like every 30 min. Are you not waking up every 3-4 hours to feed your youngest one? I know I was for the first couple months.
I can't feed the new born because my wife is the milk source. I told her we will divide and conquer. I take care of the older kids and you take care of the new born because you have the milk. In theory I should have made out like a bandit, but it doesn't feel like it.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

I would say, not too bad. Keep on having fun!

Old Mar 27, 2019, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by lv05evo
I can't feed the new born because my wife is the milk source. I told her we will divide and conquer. I take care of the older kids and you take care of the new born because you have the milk. In theory I should have made out like a bandit, but it doesn't feel like it.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
I would say, not too bad. Keep on having fun!

Add ZDDP to your oil to extend your turbo bearing life and all metal contact surface areas as well.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Don, I put in diesel oil this time. Has around 1200 ppm zinc. You think I need more? I do have somewhat of a cat to keep alive too.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 06:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Don, I put in diesel oil this time. Has around 1200 ppm zinc. You think I need more? I do have somewhat of a cat to keep alive too.
Can't you get some of that good zinc oil from your work? I'll split a case or something with you?!?!? I bet since you've been tuning a lot lately with that past oil interval that's probably why the fuel go diluted into the oil some, those numbers look good tho. You busy Sunday...want to get a cruise in?

Quick Reply: 06 MR - The Baby Hauler Build