Notices
Project Cars and Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

06 MR - The Baby Hauler Build

Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Liked 33 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX View Post
Stop staring at the rear diff and get that thing installed to enjoy it on the roads !
Feel free to come over and join! It's not going to install itself. Haha. Still waiting on the diff fluid to show up too. I think it should be here tomorrow.

I did get my injectors put in tonight. They did not auto scale nicely in my tune. I pretty much have to retune the entire fuel map. One injector also seems to be a bit lazy at idle causing a rough idle. I can push on the plug and it smooths out. Doesnt seem to be an issue with the plug but more of the injector itself. I'll figure that out tomorrow.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Liked 131 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks View Post
Feel free to come over and join! It's not going to install itself. Haha. Still waiting on the diff fluid to show up too. I think it should be here tomorrow.

I did get my injectors put in tonight. They did not auto scale nicely in my tune. I pretty much have to retune the entire fuel map. One injector also seems to be a bit lazy at idle causing a rough idle. I can push on the plug and it smooths out. Doesnt seem to be an issue with the plug but more of the injector itself. I'll figure that out tomorrow.
If you have to retune, let's put a bigger turbo in!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer View Post
I like your way of thinking.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Liked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Ya I got the FIC 1220 low-z injectors a while back. They worked fine but now that I am on the AEM, I figured high-z would be a better choice. So ya, round 2 with injectors. Going to attempt to put them in after work.

Ohhhh ok, maybe once I decide to up the power I'll pick those up off you :P, nice hi z ftw! I'm free this weekend Sean lmk if you want me to come by and help.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer View Post
Originally Posted by lv05evo View Post
I like your way of thinking.
You guys are a bad influence. I have spent way too much money on this thing this year so turbo is going to have to wait. Turbo donations gladly accepted though! At least I have enough injector now to support a bigger turbo.

And to be honest, I guess the tune wasnt that far off. I spent about a hour on it and its pretty close to normal again. I will get it all buttoned up tonight.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SoSoEVO View Post
Ohhhh ok, maybe once I decide to up the power I'll pick those up off you :P, nice hi z ftw! I'm free this weekend Sean lmk if you want me to come by and help.
I already sold my old injectors so that wont work haha. But good news is that I am now set up as a FIC dealer so I get better prices anyways. You know I will hook you up on a set. Let me figure out what day I am going to do the diff and I will let you know!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Does anyone else hate the factory injector plugs? I sure do. They suck to take the locking clip out of and half the time, it shoots off and you have to hope it lands on the ground. Then getting the lock back on is a pain as well. How to solve this issue? LS1 style injector plugs.

The main reason I am doing this is cause I am going to have to pull the injectors out once again and dont want to fight the oem connectors anymore. I ordered an AMS fuel rail so that I can put a fuel psi sensor in it and connect it to the ecu. That seemed the easiest route to go as it retains all the oem lines. Its looking like e85 tuning is going to start next week!

On another note, since I had to retune the fuel map again, I turned my MBC all the way down so I can start with low boost tuning. Now I can do a pull in whatever gear, shift to the next and boost very very very slowly comes back. Glad the MBC will be gone shortly. Going to turn it up a few clicks and I bet it will return to normal.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 01:51 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Liked 68 Times in 66 Posts
Shouldnt matter since its just a solenoid but your injector clips are on upside down I can see getting those clips off like that even more annoying

The new plugs should make things easier anyway. Are the pins the same?

EDIT: On second thought I might have been disoriented. Perhaps they are on correctly. And now that i think about it I feel like there is a lil tab or nub that wont allow them to slip on the other way. So disregard but still curious about the pins...believe Spoolinup offers a quick disconnect plug as well it might be a similar style. Almost looks like a Bosch EV1 connector...
Old Apr 10, 2019, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe View Post
Shouldnt matter since its just a solenoid but your injector clips are on upside down I can see getting those clips off like that even more annoying

The new plugs should make things easier anyway. Are the pins the same?

EDIT: On second thought I might have been disoriented. Perhaps they are on correctly. And now that i think about it I feel like there is a lil tab or nub that wont allow them to slip on the other way. So disregard but still curious about the pins...believe Spoolinup offers a quick disconnect plug as well it might be a similar style. Almost looks like a Bosch EV1 connector...
No way to put the plug on wrong. They only clip on one way since they have a little tab like you said. And ya, the wires dont matter what location they go into since its just a solenoid. On these ones, you dont have to remove the metal lock, you just push it in and pull the plug off. Super easy!

Pins are completely different. You will need to crimp on new ones. The factory plug has push to seat pin and the LS1 plugs are pull to seat. LS1 is the same as EV1 which is the same as factory Evo.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Got my 3 port boost solenoid put on last night. I think I may need to change my wastegate spring or put the stock one back on. I have a 18# spring in it right now. Running line pressure only / 0% duty cycle, it hits 21 psi and tapers down to 18 by redline. On the pump gas side of my tune, I want to hit 23 and taper to 19. The issue I am having is even setting the WG duty cycle to 5%, I am hitting 25 psi. That is not a very large window of duty cycle adjustment. So I am thinking if I run a softer spring in the WG, I should be able to bump up the duty cycle and have more control of boost. Or should I just continue to tune it with super low duty cycles and see if I can dial it in? I set it to 3% and will be taking it for a spin on lunch to see if it does anything.

Edit - Never mind. I found the issue. I had one of the table labeled wrong and it was adding in 25% on its own. Just went for a test and it seems to work normally now.

Last edited by Lumpy Sticks; Apr 11, 2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Liked 131 Times in 124 Posts
You just have to hold on tight before pulling it off! I did a writeup on how to reinstall. Piece of cake!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post11825007

Does anyone else hate the factory injector plugs? I sure do. They suck to take the locking clip out of and half the time, it shoots off and you have to hope it lands on the ground. Then getting the lock back on is a pain as well. How to solve this issue? LS1 style injector plugs.

The main reason I am doing this is cause I am going to have to pull the injectors out once again and dont want to fight the oem connectors anymore. I ordered an AMS fuel rail so that I can put a fuel psi sensor in it and connect it to the ecu. That seemed the easiest route to go as it retains all the oem lines. Its looking like e85 tuning is going to start next week!

On another note, since I had to retune the fuel map again, I turned my MBC all the way down so I can start with low boost tuning. Now I can do a pull in whatever gear, shift to the next and boost very very very slowly comes back. Glad the MBC will be gone shortly. Going to turn it up a few clicks and I bet it will return to normal.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Alright people. It is officially full flex fuel time! First up was to get my AMS fuel rail installed. Got that cause it bolts in like factory and has a 1/8" pipe port for the fuel psi sensor I added in. From there, I temporarily mounted the flex fuel sensor on the firewall. I ran -4an braided lines to it since 1/4" hose came from the factory on the return line. I will be ordering more fitting and some actual teflon lines in the near future. And lastly, I had to connect both sensors back to the ECU. I wont have gauges for either but at least my ECU will be keeping track of what's going on. Gauges coming later when I figure out where I want to mount them.

Everything seems to be working right so I am going to run my tank down and when its empty, fill it up with e85! Then back to tuning. The only thing I should need to dial in is the boost curve but we will see.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

Ya I didnt wait. Filled it up with e85 tonight. Came out to e70. Will fill up again in a few days to get it closer to actual e85. The low ethanol content at least helps for tuning in the middle. For now I have the boost set the same as 91 octane, timing just gets bumped up. I can still feel the difference. Tomorrow boost gets turned up.

Last edited by Lumpy Sticks; Apr 14, 2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Got it up to 25 psi. Just about to my 26 psi target on E60 (read lower this morning than last night). Should be able to do 3-4 more pulls tonight and get it dialed in. Then I will enjoy the rest of this tank and continue tuning higher boost when I fill up and get closer to E85.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 04:19 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Liked 756 Times in 721 Posts
Way to go Sean

Ethanol has been a very positive experience

I was definitely the first kid, on my block, pumping E85

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.