Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

06 MR - The Baby Hauler Build

Old Oct 9, 2018, 04:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
I am a dealer for K1 so if Manley falls through, I will talk to them next. The only thing is that pretty much all cranks come from the same plant oversea. The only difference is that the final machine work is done here in the US at different places. I think Callies is one of the only one who uses US forgings but only on their top end cranks. Their Compstar series are the same thing as Manley, K1, Eagle....

I might have a manual boost controller laying around the shop. I know I have a couple Turbosmart solenoids (similar to the Grimmspeed) but I dont think that will solve my issue. I still think its something in the tune... If I do have a MBC laying around, would I just use it in place of the pill? More restriction = more boost?
Aw that's a shame. I really wanted to find a USA forged crank is available for the 4G63. Now i'm comparing 4340 vs 4330v vs EN40B(722M24) to see which is a better material for a crank. The boost restriction pill can be removed all together really.

If you have a MBC lying around, you can place that between your boost source and wastegate to manually control boost for now while adjusting ignition and timing for it. This way you can at least have some fun with the extra power added from your tune while you figure out what's going on with ebcs.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Well I dont have a MBC laying around. There are about 10 EBS here though. I can pick one up from Turbosmart tomorrow if I decide to. I still dont know why but after I switched back over to the factory solenoid, I am actually getting the boost I was shooting for. It was a bit cooler this morning but it shows to peak at 22-23 and taper down to 18-19. It does have 2 counts of knock in a couple cells but I can fix that tonight. ARF is a solid 11.5 which I am fine with for now. Ill see if I can do a full pull to see what kind of #s its making with the added boost. I can definitely feel the difference with the butt dyno.

Crank material wise, I cant say I have seen one made out of EN30B break before. Even on the higher HP builds doing 35 psi and 2500 hp. Thats what the Callies ultra billets are made from. We are also talking about $4k for a crank.... The one they make for the 4g63 is 4340 though, made in China.

Last edited by Lumpy Sticks; Oct 9, 2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 07:03 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
. Using my foot as a boost controller is not a good idea!
oh....we've all been there. That's a really, really hard thing to do.
😂
Old Oct 9, 2018, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Yep my foot does not quite react as fast as the ECU. I'll have to work on it some more next time I try to turn the boost up haha.

I found the over boost cutoff today. Glad to know it works at least. The good news is that it really wasnt over boosting. I just had my boost cutoff set too low. Whoops! Guess I'll try to get another power pull done tomorrow, hopefully with no cutoff in the run.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 09:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Crank material wise, I cant say I have seen one made out of EN30B break before. Even on the higher HP builds doing 35 psi and 2500 hp. Thats what the Callies ultra billets are made from. We are also talking about $4k for a crank.... The one they make for the 4g63 is 4340 though, made in China.
Dang it. You're right, I wonder if I can email Callies and ask for a quote for a EN40B 94mm 4g63t crank. It would be totally overkill for the power I would be shooting for, but in terms of longevity it would probably outlast the block itself XD.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Dont waste your time. They wont do it. Even if they did, it would take about a year for them to make it. They are very slow. Even when we do a standard production order for cranks, it still takes around 6 weeks to get the order. At worst, I have had to wait up to 6 months to get a crank out of them.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Found a MBC at work! Not sure if I am going to use it but at least I will have it in case I need to.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Alright, I have been getting fed up with my +10 year old laptop. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. When it works, its the slowest thing in the world. It is really making tuning a pain cause nothing goes fast. I honestly think its even too slow to log right. So I bought another one. I will get it all set up tonight and see if it works any better. Then back to tuning. I also think I am going to use the MBC I found instead of the pill. Should make it a bit easier to pinpoint the PSI I want.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Ya buddy! Got it registered in AZ today. No smog, no tint laws and only one plate to deal with! Posting this from AZ. Now I have to drive back to CA. Boo!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 06:47 PM
kaj

Ya buddy! Got it registered in AZ today. No smog, no tint laws and only one plate to deal with! Posting this from AZ. Now I have to drive back to CA. Boo!
I'm doing the same in NV, when my tags come due in January
Old Oct 15, 2018, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

It's well worth it. Even though the 8 hour round trip and 1 hour at ADOT was no fun. My legs are asleep. Need cruise control haha.

views from the quick trip...

Old Oct 15, 2018, 08:45 PM
kaj

Bad ***, man. Kalifornia is ridiculous. I'm normally all about following the law, but C.A.R.B. is where I draw the line. Outdated laws that just make no sense? No thanks. My car isn't even really THAT modified... I just refuse to support this state's practices. My registration has gone up so much. I think I pay more now than when I bought the car.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Man, I hate to break it to you but I paid 132 for 2 years of registration. Cant even come close to that for 1 year in CA. I also saved something like 2500 in taxes cause I registered it out there. My car will pass CA smog so its nothing about that but its still nice to be out and free.

on the downside, I have some big holes in the bumper where the front plate used to go.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 09:13 PM
kaj

Man, I hate to break it to you but I paid 132 for 2 years of registration. Cant even come close to that for 1 year in CA. I also saved something like 2500 in taxes cause I registered it out there. My car will pass CA smog so its nothing about that but its still nice to be out and free.

on the downside, I have some big holes in the bumper where the front plate used to go.
Exactly. My car is legal, but if I want to run a part that has NOTHING to do with emissions, I should be able to. I don't like how PD in my town gives out ref tickets for anything they think "may" not be legal. I was actually going to go to AZ, back in the day. Being able to run a test pipe, without worry, will be a bonus. Not being restricted to so many OEM parts is another. All stuff I could deal without, but now I won't have to
Turns out NV has a no-cheating way to do everything. I have a friend who is LEO out there and will sign off on my verification paperwork, so I won't actually have to drive the car out there. That's a huge relief. I wish NV was only gonna be 8hrs, round trip LOL. It's gonna be a two-day trip for me.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Yep CA is ridiculous. I dont even want to run a test pipe, I don't like the added smell but I cant even run a high flow cat in CA unless it has a fancy, double the price, CA specific tag on it. It makes no sense besides them making more money. And things like a header, intake manifold or even a cold air intake, please explain to me how changing those is going to make your vehicle worse out the tail pipe!? Uhh I hate it out here

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 MR - The Baby Hauler Build