Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

06 MR - The Baby Hauler Build

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Ok then, I will get one of those coming too. I am assuming I have to pull the front bumper off it install it?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:15 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Not at all. Once the under tray is off, it's pretty much right in front of your face. Super easy to get to and swap! If I remember right, you will need a different coupling form turbo to the LICP, though... I think the OEM coupling is angled, you will need straight. The LICP probably comes with that, though.....?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Sweet! That is good news! And yes, it looks like the lower pipe comes with new couplers.

And in other news, my DV came back from Turbosmart. I will test it when I get home and see if this one leaks.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 06:41 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Sweet! That is good news! And yes, it looks like the lower pipe comes with new couplers.

And in other news, my DV came back from Turbosmart. I will test it when I get home and see if this one leaks.
Maaaan. They had it and didn't test for you? Laaaame
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure if they tested it or gave me a replacement. My driver didn't ask... Of course I left it at work and didn't bring it home. I'll bring my pressure checker to work tomorrow and test it. If it's bad again, I am going to go with a different brand.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:35 PM
kaj

I'd be really surprised if they sent back a faulty valve without telling you. Should be good to go! Awesome.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Kaj. Surprise! It still leaks....

Can you see the bubbles around the pistons? I cant pump this one up over 10 psi either. And when it gets up to 10 psi, it drops right back off. I have a feeling that when I talk to them again today, they are going to say its normal.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:42 AM
kaj

Boost pressure from that reference line will keep it closed. The valve itself can't hold 30psi. Is that what you are trying to do?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

The issue is that the reference line isnt holding psi. Its bypassing it through the side of the piston. If it only holds 10 psi on the top side of the piston, how is it going to hold 20+ psi of boost coming at it from the bottom? Aint gunna happen.

On a side note, the guys from Fast and Furious just stopped by to pick up 2 more engines. They said the next movie will be out next year! I forgot to ask what cars these engines are going in this time. I am sure I will see them when they come back for a dyno.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:51 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
The issue is that the reference line isnt holding psi. Its bypassing it through the side of the piston. If it only holds 10 psi on the top side of the piston, how is it going to hold 20+ psi of boost coming at it from the bottom? Aint gunna happen.

On a side note, the guys from Fast and Furious just stopped by to pick up 2 more engines. They said the next movie will be out next year! I forgot to ask what cars these engines are going in this time. I am sure I will see them when they come back for a dyno.

That is weird. Bad seal, I guess.

I used to be a hard-core F&F fan, until the last movie. They " jumped the shark "with that submarine business. Now it's more Mission Impossible than car related. Makes me sad. I have a personal connection to those movies. Maybe this one will be better.
At BWRP talking BMW setups with PW

Old Nov 2, 2018, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

That pretty cool you got to meet him! I dont get to meet anyone on the cast. Just the people doing the background work. We have been building them engines since the 3rd movie came out so I know the crew pretty well. And ya I know what you mean. They changed up the movies in a bad way. The old ones were way better then the new ones. Oh well. I think this is the last one they are doing. At least the Batman movies are still good! We did the engine for the Bat-mobile on the last one and put some Ecotecs in the Jeep Renegades that were drifting around in, I think, the one before that.

Back to the DV, both valves I got did the exact same thing. I dont think its an o-ring issue since both did the same thing. I think its just a bad design on there part. Maybe the valve has no o-ring? Still no answer from TS on if they call it normal or not. Are you running a stock DV still?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

You know what, after looking at this valve some more, I am going to just install it backwards as a test. I think it will work fine since it has an actual piston vs. a valve (shaped like a normal valve that would go in a head) on the OE valve. The boost wont hold it closed (well it will cause of the reference line) but at the same time, wont be able to push it open like it would if installed correctly. Hopefully that makes sense... If it actually works, I will pull it back off and just get a new OE DV and call it a day.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 03:08 PM
kaj

Yes, I'm still on the stock part. I think I crushed it a bit, not sure. I only run a peak of 28psi, though.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Since this stupid Evo wont fix itself or let me know whats wrong, I had to get some anger out somehow. I decided to take the Bug out for a spin. That did the trick. Its a freakin rocket ship! Been almost a year since I have taken it for a spin. But the Evo is still not working right...

Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Alright, so I am sure some of you saw in the other thread that my boost drop issue has been fixed! 2 days now and its running amazing still. For those who dont know, it was indeed the snorkel issue. To fix that, I am going with an aftermarket intake. I am also going to put on an aftermarket lower heat exchanger pipe on it. After driving this thing for a few months with the Tomei Ti exhaust, I think its time for it to go. Too loud for me. There arent many options for exhaust when running the JDM bumper so I have decided to build my own. That will happen in 2 weeks or so. Waiting on a buddy to get all the tubing and such. A down pipe and high flow cat will be added at the same time. So happy I can finally move on to the fun stuff!

Quick Reply: 06 MR - The Baby Hauler Build