Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

06 MR - The Baby Hauler Build

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Alright, so I am sure some of you saw in the other thread that my boost drop issue has been fixed! 2 days now and its running amazing still. For those who dont know, it was indeed the snorkel issue. To fix that, I am going with an aftermarket intake. I am also going to put on an aftermarket lower heat exchanger pipe on it. After driving this thing for a few months with the Tomei Ti exhaust, I think its time for it to go. Too loud for me. There arent many options for exhaust when running the JDM bumper so I have decided to build my own. That will happen in 2 weeks or so. Waiting on a buddy to get all the tubing and such. A down pipe and high flow cat will be added at the same time. So happy I can finally move on to the fun stuff!
Great build so far! New acquired Socal evo'r here too How much were you going to get rid of the Ti Tomei for if you don't mind me asking?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Thanks! And glad to see another Socal person here! I honestly have no idea what I would get rid of the exhaust for. Couple hundred less then what they are new? I believe it has about 10k miles on it but still looks brand new. If you might be interested, pm me and we can figure something out.
The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Nov 8, 2018)
Old Nov 8, 2018, 01:51 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Depending on which exhaust you go with ,it may fit with some cutting. I trimmed my bumper cover (not that you can see where) and cut the muffler tip down. Fit for free LOL.
The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Nov 8, 2018)
Old Nov 8, 2018, 01:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Lumpy said he was going to make a custom exhaust and the Evo I purchased already had a JDM rear bumper but yeah free fitment mods are the best!
Originally Posted by kaj
Depending on which exhaust you go with ,it may fit with some cutting. I trimmed my bumper cover (not that you can see where) and cut the muffler tip down. Fit for free LOL.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I am sure I could make a non JDM bumper exhaust work like you did but I would rather not. There is something about cutting up brand new parts that I dont like. I am curious to see how yours looks though. Any pictures?

Originally Posted by SoSoEVO
Lumpy said he was going to make a custom exhaust and the Evo I purchased already had a JDM rear bumper but yeah free fitment mods are the best!
Yes sir! Custom exhaust FTW! And I think the Tomei is calling your name.... I might actually be out in Rancho this weekend if you would like to hear it and see it before it gets pulled off.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 02:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Pm'd!
I am sure I could make a non JDM bumper exhaust work like you did but I would rather not. There is something about cutting up brand new parts that I dont like. I am curious to see how yours looks though. Any pictures?

Yes sir! Custom exhaust FTW! And I think the Tomei is calling your name.... I might actually be out in Rancho this weekend if you would like to hear it and see it before it gets pulled off.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 03:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Hey Guys, if you are still looking for a quite exhaust the Tanabe Touring Medallion is great. I have it paired to a 100 cell Mil.Spec. high flow cat and it's really not bad at all. We're talking good music and conversation with your friends with no droning in your head.

OP, glad you were able to find the boost drop issue. A crushed IX or X BOV will handle all the boost the stock turbo can throw at it without leaking (27 - 29 psi).
Old Nov 8, 2018, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pal215
Hey Guys, if you are still looking for a quite exhaust the Tanabe Touring Medallion is great. I have it paired to a 100 cell Mil.Spec. high flow cat and it's really not bad at all. We're talking good music and conversation with your friends with no droning in your head.

OP, glad you were able to find the boost drop issue. A crushed IX or X BOV will handle all the boost the stock turbo can throw at it without leaking (27 - 29 psi).
The one thing I really like about the Tomei is that there is no drone. On the highway its not bad but cruising around town, I feel that its loud. 10-15 years ago, I would have said it was too quiet for my taste haha. Ya I am turning into an old fart.

I dont think I am going to crush my BOV. I doubt I will ever see more then 25 psi.... until I give in to the E85 addiction.

On another note, how stinky is the 100 cell? I was told to go with a 200 cell cause they burn off most of the exhaust smell without being very restrictive.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Any other Socal guys have ridiculous wind going on? I thought my house was going to blow away last night. Supposedly 65 mph gust and 30-40 mph constant. My neighbor wasnt too happy this morning....

Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:07 AM
EvoM Guru

it was windy by me too but nothing like that...dang good thing it hit that volvo and not the evo (but I doubt you park the evo outside haha). That volvo can probably have a bomb dropped on it and still not have a scratch lmao!
Any other Socal guys have ridiculous wind going on? I thought my house was going to blow away last night. Supposedly 65 mph gust and 30-40 mph constant. My neighbor wasnt too happy this morning....

Last edited by SoSoEVO; Nov 9, 2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Haha ya I dont even think it dented his roof! Ill swing by tonight and see what it looks like up close. And sadly, as of right now, the Evo stays outside. Got to either get rid of the Bug (which I want to) or clean the garage to make it 2 car friendly again. I have an engine build taking place that is blocking car #2 spot. Got to finish that up first.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 04:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
The one thing I really like about the Tomei is that there is no drone. On the highway its not bad but cruising around town, I feel that its loud. 10-15 years ago, I would have said it was too quiet for my taste haha. Ya I am turning into an old fart.

I dont think I am going to crush my BOV. I doubt I will ever see more then 25 psi.... until I give in to the E85 addiction.

On another note, how stinky is the 100 cell? I was told to go with a 200 cell cause they burn off most of the exhaust smell without being very restrictive.

I know what you mean, we are getting older and wiser these days and prefer more go than noise. I would say the 100 cell is only slightly smelly, but much, much better than having a test pipe. The funny part is E85 smells the same when going from test pipe to 100 cell cat. It really cleans up the 91 smell. My test pipe had me smelling fumes from inside the car when the windows were down all the time. With the 100 cell, you can only smell the fumes if you have the wind blow them your way. It's not noticeable at all if you are cruising without traffic and there are no other cars to block you and your fumes together XD.

It wasn't too windy over here last night, but i'm sure in the hilly areas there is a lot of gusting going on. Most of the trees I see falling here are on the golf course, but we have a few large evergreens that if they fell, they would shut down a main road with ease
Old Nov 10, 2018, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
What's done to that Bug? Looks badass!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pal215
I know what you mean, we are getting older and wiser these days and prefer more go than noise. I would say the 100 cell is only slightly smelly, but much, much better than having a test pipe. The funny part is E85 smells the same when going from test pipe to 100 cell cat. It really cleans up the 91 smell. My test pipe had me smelling fumes from inside the car when the windows were down all the time. With the 100 cell, you can only smell the fumes if you have the wind blow them your way. It's not noticeable at all if you are cruising without traffic and there are no other cars to block you and your fumes together XD.

It wasn't too windy over here last night, but i'm sure in the hilly areas there is a lot of gusting going on. Most of the trees I see falling here are on the golf course, but we have a few large evergreens that if they fell, they would shut down a main road with ease
Thanks for the info! I think I will step it up to the 200 cell to be even more stink free. And ya, I live right at the base of the mountains so I get the worse part of the wind.

Originally Posted by IzzyRS
What's done to that Bug? Looks badass!
Let's just say it looks like a Bug but really isn't. The only part on it that's VW is the main portion of the shell and doors. Everything else is aftermarket or custom built. It's what I have been racing for the past couple years. Here is a sneak peak inside it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lumpy Sticks:
IzzyRS (Nov 11, 2018), SoSoEVO (Nov 12, 2018)
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Highly successful morning! I finally rerouted my wideband wires so that they dont go through the door. People kept asking me what the heck wires were doing coming out the bottom of my door haha. So I used one of the plugs in the floor, drilled a hole in it and ran the wire through there. From there, i rerouted the rest of the wideband wires, tucked them up and away and finally put the gauge in the glovebox. Still dont know where I am going to mount it so it will stay there for now. After that, I looked into why my wideband wasnt logging right. Bad ground going to the serial cable. Fixed that and it reads perfectly when logging now. Zip tied all those wires up and now it looks like factory again. No more bundles of wires hanging out the bottom of the dash! Now to do some logs and continue tuning.

Quick Reply: 06 MR - The Baby Hauler Build