Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

My car has been sitting in the garage since 2009

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car has been sitting in the garage since 2009

My 2003 Evo 8 has been sitting in my garage since 2009 when I left the country. It has never been touched, but I refuse to sell it because it's the most fun in a car I've ever had. I will eventually move back but am really worried. Is it possible to get my car running again well? Or did I screw myself?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
So for 9 years nobody has touched it, hasn't even been started ? If so i am no expert but you definitely will have a dead battery, flat tires and some other stuff the more expert people can comment on.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Gas tank and fuel lines will be gunked up, rings rusted to cylinders potentially more internal rust. Belts and tires dry rotted as well as other engine seals, potentially.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by XSivPSI
Gas tank and fuel lines will be gunked up, rings rusted to cylinders potentially more internal rust. Belts and tires dry rotted as well as other engine seals, potentially.
damn man, that’s absolutely a worst case scenario!

OP, what climate do you live in, hopefully dry and arrid and not humid and moist?

if it was in your garage the entire time, I wouldn’t sweat it.
this is what I’d do.
• pull spark plugs and put a ratchet and socket on the main centered crankshaft bolt and give it a couple of complete turns. if she spins, then I’d proceed.
• disconnect all fuel lines from rail and fuel pump and blow them out with compressed air.
• pull the fuel rail and clean it out.
• drain the fuel tank...
• send injectors to boostin perfomance, FIC or another reputable fuel injection service shop and have them cleaned, balanced and replace all seals.
• new spark plugs
• new fuel filter
• new battery
• drain the oil and replace the oil and filter
• fill fuel tank with a couple gallons of fresh fuel.
• I’m not 100% sure how to on an Evo, but with ECMLink I can manually turn the fuel pump on and pressurize the fuel system without cranking the motor.
• give her a crank. she’ll be cranky, but she’ll fire.
• let her run and idle while checking for leaks. If it were me, I’d drive it around the block at least once.
if all checks out, I’d do a complete fluid transfusion and then go enjoy your Evo.

depending on mileage, you may want to have the timing belt and balance belt inspected.

Last edited by Strm Trpr; Sep 29, 2018 at 09:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DontStopMe (Sep 28, 2018)
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by huzzle101
So for 9 years nobody has touched it, hasn't even been started ? If so i am no expert but you definitely will have a dead battery, flat tires and some other stuff the more expert people can comment on.
Correct. No one has touched it as my parents don't know how to drive stick. I can replace the battery, tires, and brakes. I don't have an issue with that. I was just wondering if the engine was okay.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Strm Trpr

damn man, that’s absolutely a worst case scenario!

OP, what climate do you live in, hopefully dry and arrid and not humid and moist?

if it was in your garage the entire time, I wouldn’t sweat it.
this is what I’d do.
• pull spark plugs and put a ratchet and socket on the main centered crankshaft bolt and give it a couple of complete turns. if she spins, then I’d proceed.
• disconnect all fuel lines from rail and fuel pump and blow them out with compressed air.
• pull the fuel rail and clean it out.
• send injectors to boostin perfomance, FIC or another reputable fuel injection service shop and have them cleaned, balanced and replace all seals.
• new spark plugs
• new fuel filter
• new battery
• drain the oil and replace the oil and filter
• fill fuel tank with a couple gallons of fresh fuel.
• I’m not 100% sure how to on an Evo, but with ECMLink I can manually turn the fuel pump on and pressurize the fuel system without cranking the motor.
• give her a crank. she’ll be cranky, but she’ll fire.
• let her run and idle while checking for leaks. If it were me, I’d drive it around the block at least once.
if all checks out, I’d do a complete fluid transfusion and then go enjoy your Evo.

depending on mileage, you may want to have the timing belt and balance belt inspected.
Thanks for the detailed response! I live in SoCal so the weather conditions are optimal.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 01:08 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
I drive my evo a few hundred miles only a year. But I start it twice a month and let it run until the fan comes on. It sits on a battery tender 24/7.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Change motor oil & filter. Check your timing belt before cranking your engine. If you see cracks, change it. Before putting on new belt, spin your oil pump to start lubricating your engine. I would even pull off your fuel rail and injectors to inspect. May even send injectors out for cleaning and flow balancing.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
in addition to the detail above....i would get all the old fuel out you can.

the tank has drain plugs on it.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hutch959
in addition to the detail above....i would get all the old fuel out you can.

the tank has drain plugs on it.
Damn, you’re right.
I mentioned that, I swear, but while trying to cut and paste the post on my phone I must’ve lost one of the most important details.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
9 yrs and not even started shake my head you better keep it cause the minute you apply pressure to that motor kaboom.