Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

SoSo's 06 EVO 9 Special Edition build journal

Old Apr 8, 2019, 01:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Whaaat? Sorry to see that SoSo

The damage certainly could have been so much worse, totaling the EvO, especially w/an F150

Certainly can be repaired

Unbelievable though
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Poor Evo. At least you are getting it fixed and those other parts you wanted to get painted are now going to happen. It should look brand new once you get it back! Cant wait to see it with the new lip on it too!
Thanks guys! Yeah hopefully she'll be back better than ever. I'm planning on dropping the car off Friday.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Some better updates yay! I'm going to be dropping my car off at DTM Friday after work for repairs.

Also picked these bad boys up last Friday (they're gonna be my track wheels) plan on putting 265/35/18 200tw tires but still going back n forth on which ones to get...refer to the Tire2019 thread haha. I've always ran TE37s on all my cars but the re30s just look right on evo 8/9's I think it's because the stock bbs's look sort of like the re30s. I plan to get the rash repaired, remake the barrel stickers, and clean everything up really well. From the original barrel stickers these wheels were made in 2007 haha!

The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Apr 9, 2019)
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Nicely done there SoSo. 18x9 +35 is a modest size & offset & will work well in the EvO rear
SoSoEVO (Apr 9, 2019)
Old Apr 10, 2019, 05:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Ok so did the test fit, and 18x9 +35 clear evo 8/9 calipers fine. There's probably about 3-4mm of clearance, they clear the oem 9 KYB's on the inside but it looks like it will be close with a wider tire sizing 265+

Last edited by SoSoEVO; Apr 11, 2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 06:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Excellent There are a no. of Volks that are Brembo friendly. These obviously are

3-4mm is the known recommended clearance IIRC

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Apr 10, 2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
This is off topic, but the Evo 9 SE models had Bilstein suspension along with aluminum roof, BBS wheels and HID headlights. It looks like a previous owner changed the suspension to KYB on your car.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 08:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Excellent There are a no. of Volks that are Brembo friendly. These obviously are

3-4mm is the known recommended clearance IIRC
These wheels even had more clearance then the stock bbs wheels.

Originally Posted by lv05evo
This is off topic, but the Evo 9 SE models had Bilstein suspension along with aluminum roof, BBS wheels and HID headlights. It looks like a previous owner changed the suspension to KYB on your car.
I also wondered about this but found out there are 2 se models the MR se and the GSR se I was under the impression that only the MR version se came with the Bilstein struts but I could be wrong. I took this from Wikipedia, what I bolded is what is added to either a base gsr or a mr making them a "se" model. My se definitely has everything listed below in bold.

Four models were available in the US. All models used the same 286 bhp (290 PS; 213 kW) engine.
  1. Standard – revised 5-speed, standard model
  2. RS – ralli sport, revised 5-speed, aluminum roof, gauge pack, minimal interior, also no radio
  3. SE – Special Edition, aluminum roof/hood, and front fenders, split seven-spoke forged aluminum BBS wheels in "diamond black" finish, HID headlights with integrated fog lights, red-stitched Recaro seats
  4. MR – 6-speed, Bilstein monotube shocks, split seven-spoke forged aluminum BBS wheels, aluminum roof, hood, and front fenders, gauge pack, HID headlights with integrated fog lights, vortex generator, front brake cooling ducts and custom MR badging.
All of the American models are the same in power, but may differ in performance. The only thing that sets them apart is the Evo RS, which is 80 lb (36 kg) lighter than the MR and SE models.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoSoEVO
I also wondered about this but found out there are 2 se models the MR se and the GSR se I was under the impression that only the MR version se came with the Bilstein struts but I could be wrong. I took this from Wikipedia, what I bolded is what is added to either a base gsr or a mr making them a "se" model. My se definitely has everything listed below in bold.

Four models were available in the US. All models used the same 286 bhp (290 PS; 213 kW) engine.
  1. Standard – revised 5-speed, standard model
  2. RS – ralli sport, revised 5-speed, aluminum roof, gauge pack, minimal interior, also no radio
  3. SE – Special Edition, aluminum roof/hood, and front fenders, split seven-spoke forged aluminum BBS wheels in "diamond black" finish, HID headlights with integrated fog lights, red-stitched Recaro seats
  4. MR – 6-speed, Bilstein monotube shocks, split seven-spoke forged aluminum BBS wheels, aluminum roof, hood, and front fenders, gauge pack, HID headlights with integrated fog lights, vortex generator, front brake cooling ducts and custom MR badging.
All of the American models are the same in power, but may differ in performance. The only thing that sets them apart is the Evo RS, which is 80 lb (36 kg) lighter than the MR and SE models.
Well I was going off memory from when I was shopping for my GSR IX back in early 2007 and remember seeing a grey SE with yellow bilstein suspension. Must have been a MR model. Can't believe the internet doesn't have any clear pictures of GSR SE cars. The yellow suspension sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 09:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by lv05evo
Well I was going off memory from when I was shopping for my GSR IX back in early 2007 and remember seeing a grey SE with yellow bilstein suspension. Must have been a MR model. Can't believe the internet doesn't have any clear pictures of GSR SE cars. The yellow suspension sticks out like a sore thumb.
Haha right!?!?!?! I'm actually in the market for some MR Billy's and some uber rare old school gtworx lowering springs. Another member on here has some he's willing to sell to me once he's ready to buy coilovers . Where in the IE are you? Me and a couple other evo owners are out here also, care to meetup for a cruise sometime?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Haha right!?!?!?! I'm actually in the market for some MR Billy's and some uber rare old school gtworx lowering springs. Another member on here has some he's willing to sell to me once he's ready to buy coilovers . Where in the IE are you? Me and a couple other evo owners are out here also, care to meetup for a cruise sometime?
I'm in the Corona area. My car isn't driven much lately and I have to freshen up somethings before I hit the canyons. I'm down for a meet up.
SoSoEVO (Apr 12, 2019)
Old Apr 27, 2019, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Here are some pictures of this FP HTA Black compressor with 9 blade turbine with extra sauce that we talked about. I match ported the hot side to FP race manifold (for future upgrade). It was just tuned last night and made 600hp on RRE's dyno at 36 psi. Sam is very good at finding each car's happy median, if you want safe tune and longevity. This tune is on built 2.0 engine with stock intake and exhaust manifolds. Turbo wakes up at 4,500 RPM.

Hi guys I hope everyone is doing well, I haven't got a lot of updates but I do have a few things to share. I got my race pads in I ended up getting Raybestos st43 fronts and Ferodo 2500 for the rear (I was reading that the st43 in the rear screech like crazy). My next track day I plan to attend is in May at Fontana the Roval road course, I'm super excited hopefully these new pads will perform well.

I also fabbed up a quick and simple removable front tow hook loop.

Next I decided to dress up my engine bay a lil bit with some titanium goodies I ordered up "Chasing J's" spark plug cover, rad stay, and "Argon Bubble" hood prop. These pieces are beautiful the pictures don't do them justice, they also came with titanium mounting hardware.

A couple weekends ago I went over to Sean's to hang out with him and Don while they swapped exhaust, data logging, and geeking out on Don's turbo knowledge (Don brought over a turbo to assemble).

I plan on getting a front lip and some cf lip extensions for the side skirts and jdm rear bumper in the near future so I'll post up pics once I get those in.
SoSoEVO (Apr 29, 2019)
Old Jun 26, 2019, 07:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Hi guys I've been gone for a minute...my car is still at the body shop, it's been over 2 months now but it's because there was pre existing damages on the rear end of my evo. The previous owner lied to me about being in any accidents, and the insurance company thought I was trying to scam them . Apparently he was also rear ended in September of 2018 took it to a big name (chain) body shop to get an estimate, then proceeded to pull his car out and pocketed the check. He did mention to me that he worked at a body shop so that's probably where he Mickey Moused the rear end repairs just enough so the unexpected buyer wouldn't notice. I purchased the car the end of November...bad luck I guess

At the time of me buying the car I checked both autocheck and carfax but I guess the rear end accident was too soon to document on their sites?!?!?!. I did crawl under the car and look at everything but all the damages were literally behind the rear bumper, I wouldn't have been able to see anything unless I pulled the rear bumper off. I'll go into it a in more detail when I get the car back (supposedly this week but we'll see)...but I will have to pay out of pocket for the pre existing damages. I really hope karma comes back around to the previous owner, dishonesty is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to buying cars!

On a lighter note over these 2 months I have been able to locate a slew of rare high end parts, here's a teaser...

Ohlins flag series 2 ways 10kg fronts, 12kg rears

I'm also getting my Volk re30's refinished in the same textured bronze, I was able to locate a powder coating company near me that knows how to powder coat forged wheels (lower temps at a longer time). He was also the only one that I have ever found that can replicate the original Volk textured bronze or as close to it as it could be. I'm picking those up tonight so I'll post pics when I get them. I also got the barrel stickers remade which look exactly like the originals, I had him print exactly what was on my original stickers.

The following 4 users liked this post by SoSoEVO:
EVO196 (Jun 26, 2019), lv05evo (Jun 26, 2019), MAX EVO (Jun 26, 2019), MinusPrevious (Jun 26, 2019)
Old Jun 26, 2019, 08:04 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Hey Soso. Yeah, those O's are sweet. Nice looking 2 way settings (comp & rebound). And detailing those wheels w/the proper decals is a nice touch

Cant wait to get your EvO finished as well
SoSoEVO (Jun 26, 2019)
Old Jun 27, 2019, 07:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Freshly coated wheels

The following 2 users liked this post by SoSoEVO:
EVO196 (Jun 28, 2019), MinusPrevious (Jun 27, 2019)
Old Jun 27, 2019, 08:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Wow Soso. That is pure eye candy for sure.

Put those decals on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SoSo's 06 EVO 9 Special Edition build journal