Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

SoSo's 06 EVO 9 Special Edition build journal

Old Dec 10, 2018, 08:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts

Couple pics from my track day at Street of Willow...I didn't get any on track pics as they were selling those for $40. The track day went off without any major problems I had a great time my best time was 1:34 going CCW. My tires and brakes were my most limiting factor...had to do a lot of tire pressure tuning after each session as the Hankook v12 evo2 tires have very soft sidewalls and I kept rolling over onto them. The brakes pads were just some street Axis metal master semi metallic pads, they faded literally after the first straight if I pushed it. This track day was just my baseline to see what the car could do in stock form and imo it did fairly well.

I've already ordered new tires Michelin Pilot Super Sport in 245/45/17 but what is everyone running for track pads?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 08:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Excellent job SoSo.

Have you done your brake lines yet? Also, have you done your brake fluid?

There are many choices for track pads. Personally i ran CarboTechs XP10 front / XP8 rear. Keep in mind you can not run these on the street. They are to be changed prior to going to the track & then removed after the event, when you get home

(note: you can call them direct & tell them what level youre at & they will prescribe a good recipe to follow)

They are noisy when cold but offer a substantial bite when at operating temp & work well. I ran these pads exclusively at Fontana

Joe
Old Dec 10, 2018, 09:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Excellent job SoSo.

Have you done your brake lines yet? Also, have you done your brake fluid?

There are many choices for track pads. Personally i ran CarboTechs XP10 front / XP8 rear. Keep in mind you can not run these on the street. They are to be changed prior to going to the track & then removed after the event, when you get home

(note: you can call them direct & tell them what level youre at & they will prescribe a good recipe to follow)

They are noisy when cold but offer a substantial bite when at operating temp & work well. I ran these pads exclusively at Fontana

Joe
Hi Joe...I haven't, I actually just ordered f/r stoptech steel braided lines and motul rbf 600 for my upcoming caliper swap with Lumpy. They should actually be delivered sometime this week I'll snap some pics when they get in. I did see the CarboTechs come up in multiple threads when I did a quick search on race pads. This EVO is my weekend vehicle so swapping pads before and after an event is perfectly fine with me . How's the rotor life with the x10/ x8 (I'll be running cheap centric slotted rotors)?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:08 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by SoSoEVO
Hi Joe...I haven't, I actually just ordered f/r stoptech steel braided lines and motul rbf 600 for my upcoming caliper swap with Lumpy. They should actually be delivered sometime this week I'll snap some pics when they get in. I did see the CarboTechs come up in multiple threads when I did a quick search on race pads. This EVO is my weekend vehicle so swapping pads before and after an event is perfectly fine with me . How's the rotor life with the x10/ x8 (I'll be running cheap centric slotted rotors)?
I got a lot of life out of my Centrics using the CarboTechs. Those CT's will certainly drop a lot of heat into those rotors & will heat check over time

Im now running high carbon Centrics w/some simple StopTech street pads for street only. Great to see lines, fluid & Centrics are on the way
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Forgot to mention that on my way back from Willow Springs I picked up a RRE turboback 2.75" dp, 3" rally cat, and 3" stealth cbe for a super good price. Apparently no one wanted to drive 2hrs out of the way to get the turboback, but since I was already out there I went and picked it up. I already sold the rally cat on here to another member, the dp is going to "Lumpy Sticks" and the stealth is going on my car

Last edited by SoSoEVO; Dec 27, 2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Thanks for the hookup on the DP! Crazy how good of a deal you got on everything. I thought the exhaust had a tip on it but it doesnt look like it. Should be easy to trim it down to fit your bumper better.
The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Dec 13, 2018)
Old Dec 13, 2018, 08:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Santa dropped off all my maintenance parts and tires off early but sadly I won't be able to touch the car this weekend as I'm going out of town.

Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Also ended up getting some on track pics from the photo vendor at the track. They had a racers deal 3 pics for $24, not too bad...

Last edited by SoSoEVO; Dec 13, 2018 at 11:08 AM.
MinusPrevious (Dec 13, 2018)
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:26 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Looking good out there SoSo. Pushing that EvO hard around the track

Nice pics
SoSoEVO (Dec 13, 2018)
Old Dec 13, 2018, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Dem calipers.....
SoSoEVO (Dec 19, 2018)
Old Dec 19, 2018, 07:49 AM
EvoM Guru

So I decided to give the RRE stealth cbe a quick once over before the install this weekend. I know this should satisfy some members ocd on here I first washed it with degreaser then went over the surface rust with my dremel wire brush attachment, finally a coat of hi temp VHT engine paint (satin black). I think it turned out pretty good considering the original condition, can't wait to hear what this cbe sounds like as my car came with a muffler delete when purchased and is starting to drive me mental LOL.

Before:

After:

MinusPrevious (Dec 19, 2018)
Old Dec 19, 2018, 08:22 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Nice job SoSo.

RRE has proven that the stealth exhaust works pretty well & no significant WHP loss

Its got a stock look & a reduced decibel output

It may come in handy if you ever get pulled over & the officer has a pet peeve for exhaust systems
SoSoEVO (Dec 19, 2018)
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You should cancel the order for those MPSS's and get some Hankook RS4's or Dunlop Z3's. They will be much better on track and won't give up much for street use.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Nice job SoSo.

RRE has proven that the stealth exhaust works pretty well & no significant WHP loss

Its got a stock look & a reduced decibel output

It may come in handy if you ever get pulled over & the officer has a pet peeve for exhaust systems
Thanks Joe! Anything will sound better than straight pipe with a tip welded on as that's all I have lol! Do you know if this cbe will matte up to the oem cat as I think the stealth is a full 3" system so I'm not too sure how it's going to mount up against the stock cat flange?

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You should cancel the order for those MPSS's and get some Hankook RS4's or Dunlop Z3's. They will be much better on track and won't give up much for street use.
I actually looked at the rs4's first as I had those on my Subaru and really enjoyed them. But I would have only gotten them in the 255/40/17 sizing and those aren't ideal on the stock BBS's. I agree I'm not going to have as much grip on track w/ the PSS's but they were on closeout and got a good deal on them. I plan on getting a dedicated set of track wheels in the 17x9 or 17x9.5 sizing once I do then I'll get either the RS4's or the whatever the best performing 200 tread wear tire is at the time. How do you like the z3's compared to the RS4's? I've only tried the star spec z1's back in the day and I really liked them but I haven't really heard any big news about the star specs recently so I haven't really looked into them.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 02:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by SoSoEVO
Thanks Joe! Anything will sound better than straight pipe with a tip welded on as that's all I have lol! Do you know if this cbe will matte up to the oem cat as I think the stealth is a full 3" system so I'm not too sure how it's going to mount up against the stock cat flange?
Not sure 100%, but my feel would be that a stock CAT should be able to fitup where the test pipe is. Pretty simple to put a steel tape on the CAT & then get under the car & check the dimension.

Im sure RRE designed it so their Rally CAT would be able to fitup

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SoSo's 06 EVO 9 Special Edition build journal