Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

SoSo's 06 EVO 9 Special Edition build journal

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 01:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
SoSo's 06 EVO 9 Special Edition (Functional build journal)

Hi guys I just picked up this car a couple weeks ago, this is my first Mistubishi in general as a car manufacturer. I came from the Subaru world mostly but have had a number of other enthusiast cars in the past. I wasn't really looking for an EVO per say but when I joined evom.net...the more I researched the more I got intrigued. So I took the plunge and decided to join the dark side and I'm soooo glad I did!

My old STI swapped GC8:

Now pics of the EVO:
06 GSR SE
2 previous owners (2 accidents, one from each previous owner. First accidents appeared to be a front end accident as the vin is painted over on the front bumper but the fenders/ hood vin tags are all present. 2nd accident the 2nd owner lied about and hid behind a jdm rear bumper. Found this out the hard way...scroll down to post #64 for more info).
127,500 miles
Pretty much stock, only has Act clutch replacement and streetlite flywheel (turned out to be an Ebay special, facepalm 2nd owner again!), JDM rear bumper, re-coated brembos, and muffler delete.

Last edited by SoSoEVO; Jul 28, 2022 at 07:13 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 01:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Had a busy Thanksgiving weekend installed some interior mods and met up with a socal evom member for a drive up the canyons. First order of business was the steering wheel, the top rubber or leather was coming off so I decided to get a new one.

Sparco Champion 330mm and Works Bell steering hub.

Mistubishi OEM window visors:

Binary Recaro seat lowering brackets:

Canyon drive with "Lumpy Sticks" evom member and friends:

Last edited by SoSoEVO; Nov 26, 2018 at 01:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sumopower87 (Aug 11, 2022)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 01:34 PM
EvoM Guru

I have a track day scheduled Dec 9th at Willowsprings with Speed Ventures. I'm going to go with what I got, not going to upgrade anything so I can get a good baseline feel of the car. Next round of mods I'm planning on doing is the rear LSD re stack or maxxlock 12 plate kit, English Racing ACD tune, and new tires.

Last edited by SoSoEVO; Nov 26, 2018 at 01:47 PM.
MinusPrevious (Nov 26, 2018)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 02:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Great to see you make a project out of this EvO. Have you mounted up the lowering bkrts for the front seats? That was one of my first Mods & really made a difference

Will be following your updates

Regarding Fontana. I go early, so will be there Sat / approx 7am ish. I park up against the north fence, in the garage area
Let me know if you go

Joe
SoSoEVO (Nov 26, 2018)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 02:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Great to see you make a project out of this EvO. Have you mounted up the lowering bkrts for the front seats? That was one of my first Mods & really made a difference

Will be following your updates

Regarding Fontana. I go early, so will be there Sat / approx 7am ish. I park up against the north fence, in the garage area
Let me know if you go

Joe
Thanks Joe I really appreciate it! Yeah I already installed the Binary brackets on both sides, man does this mod feel sooooo good! Makes it feel like I'm driving a go-kart or something def woke up the "feel" of the car, I would recommend it for everyone tall or short haha. Ok sounds good, I'll pm you my number
Old Nov 27, 2018, 08:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Installed a flasher relay module on the 3rd brake light and installed a red led 7440 bulb, the normal incandescent bulb was delayed with the flashing so would miss out on the quick 3 flashes in the beginning. My shift knob and red stitch perforated leather shift boot are being shipped, I'll post pictures of those when they get in.

Gotta click to watch the actual flashing -__- haha
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1498806...7702285726571/
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks pretty solid! I like the flashing 3rd brake light as well haha
SoSoEVO (Nov 28, 2018)
Old Dec 3, 2018, 08:42 AM
EvoM Guru

This weekend was pretty busy again, just sorting through the car fixing lil things and making the interior nicer to be in. I replaced 2 cluster bulbs and installed my EVS tuning Ti teardrop shift knob and Redline goods leather shift boot.

Old Dec 3, 2018, 08:58 AM
EvoM Guru

I didn't make it out Saturday to meetup with Joe at Fontana speedway but I did make it out for a drive Sunday. I took a trip up to Big Bear after a nice snowfall (Socal level of snowfall, haha.) I didn't see any other Evo's let alone another Mitsubishi....but there were tons of Subaru's tho. I really like how exclusive owning an Evo is now . The Evo performed flawlessly, steering around the twisty's was effortless and in stock form the power is more then enough to grunt up the 7000ft elevation.

After I got home from Big Bear I decided to give the Evo a bath...get all the snowy dirt, sand, and grim off.

I'm really enjoying this car and can't wait for my upcoming track day at Willowsprings on the 9th
MinusPrevious (Dec 3, 2018)
Old Dec 3, 2018, 09:34 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Excellent SoSo. Yeah i buzzed out to Fontana early Sunday morning. Great freeway blast w/out getting into trouble

There were some nice cars there but the garage had more than a few openings

Your EvO is looking very clean. You are definitely going to be one of our better owners
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Well thanks for the invite! Haha. Not like I would have been able to go anyways. I am surprised how much snow there is up there. Arrowhead still has none. I guess thats what another 2500ft up will do!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 09:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Excellent SoSo. Yeah i buzzed out to Fontana early Sunday morning. Great freeway blast w/out getting into trouble

There were some nice cars there but the garage had more than a few openings

Your EvO is looking very clean. You are definitely going to be one of our better owners
Haha nice! How was the event was it just auto x or the full road course? Thanks Joe it was my first wash of the evo haha.
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Well thanks for the invite! Haha. Not like I would have been able to go anyways. I am surprised how much snow there is up there. Arrowhead still has none. I guess thats what another 2500ft up will do!
LOL I knew you would need at least a day in advance notice. Yeah I just brought my gf and we made a day of it up there, walked around downtown and ate at a pizza restaurant. Next time I'll hit you up in advanced haha!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Hey SoSo

SpeedVentures is always both (AX & Roval). I spent just 1.5 hours cruising the garage, taking pics & talking it up a bit

Blasted home in time for Church
SoSoEVO (Dec 5, 2018)
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Man all these Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Xmas deals are killing me...I made some more orders recently. Ordered some Michelin PSS (closeout pricing $171 each) in the 245/45/17 off Tirerack, free shipping no tax and a $100 visa gift card rebate. Then I made an order through MAP performance to do some scheduled maintenance (trans, tcase, rear diff fluid change)...added up all the fluids to the cart but was $100 shy of free shipping so I decided to get some Stoptech steel braided brake lines and Motul RBF brake fluid to barely push me over $199 to qualify for free shipping LOL. I'll snap pics when everything gets here (no more orders for a while LOL).
Old Dec 6, 2018, 08:15 AM
EvoM Guru

My #74 mini bulb condoms came in...I was trying to get a good solution for converting the center dash HVAC light color to match the gauge cluster. I saw that others have tried using some 360 degree led #74 bulbs but those came out with similar results as well (a kind of orange color not a red). I think the reason for the orange color is the light travels through the entire HVAC panel by the clear plastic panel behind the knobs. If this clear panel was a clear red panel the light color would def match the cluster with the addition of the condoms, but because it's clear it kind of washes out the red bulb color to orange. I'm def satisfied with the overall match, as long as it's not the clear white light I'm good. Here are some pics...if anyone is interested in purchasing some condoms I have a bunch extra I can do like $5 shipped for x4 which would give you 2 extra, pm me if your'e interested.

UPDATE: Driving the Evo to the track day early in the morning the HVAC red bulb condoms actually match pretty well. I think it was overhanging garage light that was washing out the color. The pictures not the best quality since it was low light but you get the idea.

Last edited by SoSoEVO; Dec 10, 2018 at 08:25 AM.

Quick Reply: SoSo's 06 EVO 9 Special Edition build journal