Notices
For Sale - Cars For Sale Includes all models. If you have a vehicle for sale, place it in here.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS[MidWest]: Stock 2004 Evo 8 RS, 2000 original miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Stock 2004 Evo 8 RS, 2000 original miles

PRICE DROP 8/1/2015 -- $25,500!!

CAR: 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII RS
COLOR: Rally Red
MILEAGE: under 2300
VIN: JA3AH36DX4U062432
TITLE: Clean and clear
CARFAX: Clean

Here is a rare opportunity to own a mint condition extremely low mileage RS. This is one of the lowest mileage EVO VIII RS's that I know of in the States. I have seen evidence of a 2004 and 2006 RS in bubbles in a gentleman's collection with like 300 miles, but as far as I know they are not for sale. The car is 99.9% OEM. It even still rolls on the original tires, which despite their age are in fabulous shape.

Car’s History

This particular EVO was the genesis of one of the most dominant series of cars in the SCCA SOLO2 (autocross) world, the “Showcase EVO’s”. Andy (dealer principal of Showcase Mitsubishi) had the car sitting on the lot in 2004 and decided to enter it in some autocrosses that summer (partially for fun and partially as advertisement for Showcase). The car had some “Showcase” graphics put on and was prepped for ESP class, which is basically stock with minimal allowed bolt-ons and sticky tires (he picked this class because, except for the rolled fenders, all of the allowed parts were easily removable if he decided to put the car back to stock and sell it as a stock car at the end of the season). Andy realized the potential of the platform and had so much fun with the car that he decided to build a new autocross car every year until sales of the 8/9 ended in 2007. His later versions of the “Showcase EVO” went on to win something like 15 SCCA SOLO2 and ProSolo National Championships between him and the successive owners/drivers, who to this day continue to refine and perfect the platform.

In October, 2004 this car was sold to the first owners, a middle-aged husband and wife from New Mexico, with 851 miles on the odometer. It received a fresh livery but otherwise stayed pretty much the same over the years. In their 10 years of ownership the couple (who are now in their 60’s) kept the car as a garage queen, only taking it out to autocross it several times per year. They put on an additional 1200 miles in 10 year. That’s 120 miles per year on average.

I’ve been looking around for a while for a good low mileage EVO, and when I saw this come up for sale I knew it was destiny. I bought my 06RS brand new and by the time I took the first sawzall to it, it only had 12,000 miles in 5 years. Now it is a bare, caged shell awaiting a full Time-Attack build. Although I never regretted cutting into that car, I have always felt a little bad for permanently ruining a good clean low mileage RS. I jumped at the chance to save this RS from a fate like my ’06. I just had a feeling if I didn’t buy it that someone would not see its potential and it would end up living a hard, dirty life, either crumpled into a tire barrier or crammed full of the best eBay and China has to offer. I knew that this car had been impeccably maintained over the years, so I knew the mechanicals were sound and the chassis was as rust free as humanly possible. But 10 years in the desert with 10 year old baked on graphics made the outward appearance mask the true potential of the EVO. Kind of like a supermodel after an all-night drug and booze fueled bender! Lol So I bought the car and have since restored it to its former OEM showroom glory.

Engine/Turbo/Drivetrain - 10/10

Completely stock. Engine and transmission have never been modified or opened. Transfercase I believe was replaced in 2006. It used to have a piggy back tuner that has since been removed. The ECU has never been reflashed. Car has all original boost/vacuum lines and emissions equipment. The car has always been fed a steady diet of high octane unleaded gasoline. Has never run leaded race gas or E85.

Exterior - 9/10

Overall the paint and trim is in great shape except for a few issues. First is the bottom of the front lip - it looks like it scraped over a curb or parking stone. Has some scratches and small gouges in the bottom, but the front looks good. Second is the rear of the front wheel well openings. The paint is worn off the fender just behind the front tires. The car previously had wider wheels and tires installed and my guess is in the sandy/dusty conditions of NM since the tires stuck out past the fender they just kicked up dirt over time that ate away the paint. I had thought about having this and the lip repaired/repainted, but didn't know if a new owner would prefer that or prefer all original, so I left it. The new owner can make the decision to leave it as-is or have it touched up. The third exterior issue is the rear fenders have been rolled to fit the previously mentioned wider tires. I would rate the rolling job a 7 out of 10. I've seen better, but I've seen a lot worse too. One bonus, if you plan on putting coilovers on the car you can run 285-width tires or stretched 235's on 10" rims for that "hellaflush" look ;-) lol Final issue is a small 1/8" paint chip in the driver's side door.

Interior - 10/10

Interior is all original, no rips, creases in the seats, stains, cracks, etc. Looks and smells like a new car.

It was very hard to come up with a price for the car. It IS a very rare and desirable car as there were only a couple hundred sold in the US that year (and a majority of those have been wrecked, abused, caged, gutted, or have 100,000 miles), but I know it's not an L88 Corvette or an original Shelby Cobra. However, if you really want to buy a brand new EVO 8 this may be the closest you'll ever get . . . So pricing is based on the cost of the car in 2004 adjusted for inflation, then $$ subtracted for the few wear items and the mileage. (BTW, if you had invested $29K in the stock market in 2004 (DJI or S&P500) it would be worth about $53k now

Asking price is set at $29,900

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Sep 16, 2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLWS Jarrod!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vouch for the seller. Jarrod has been a well known figure in the legitimate EVO community since the beginning. Great driver, great mechanical ability and person, I have known personally for awhile now...

The history of the car is now known, but I fully agree with Jarrod on the restoring line of thought.

Wish you well on the sale, it will take the right person to appreciate it as it is offered.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 01:46 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
OP has edited the original post to expound on his RS and accurately describe what this car is, including a comprehensive history.

If you don't like the price, PM him an offer or simply close the thread.

Thanks for looking.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Still for sale. Make an offer so I don't have to put it in storage for the winter! :-)
Old May 15, 2015, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Had the Evo in storage for winter and now time to drive it a bit once the rain lets up Still for sale if anyone is interested. . . Has around 2200 miles on her now after driving it all around the DSM/EVO shootout in Norwalk last summer.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Still for sale. Need it gone - make an offer :-)
Old Jul 14, 2015, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pm sent
Old Jul 25, 2015, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nismo n9ne
Pm sent
PM'd and emailed but never heard back.

Still for sale. Car will be at Buschur's DSM/EVO shootout in a couple weeks if anyone wants to inspect it or pick it up there. Will give a good discount so I don't have to trailer it home! :-)
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Lowered Price for DSM/EVO Shootout next week! I'm trailering it down and don't want to trailer it home. I'll sell the trailer if you want that too! (17' aluminum Featherlite open car hauler with removeable fenders)

$26,500
Old Sep 16, 2015, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Price drop! $25,500 OBO.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ide buy it but bank only goes back 10 years hard to finance something older then a decade
Old Sep 18, 2015, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZanarkO
Ide buy it but bank only goes back 10 years hard to finance something older then a decade
It's not too hard. Tons of places that will give a personal loan if you have good credit, like Lending Club and BestEgg. In fact I used one of these to purchase this car. Check out BestEgg - $25000 for about $500 a month.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Last chance before I take it off the market next week.

$24,500