Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Twin Throttle Bodies

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin Throttle Bodies

For those that have been waiting...dave told me that they are making them in january. Cant wait till this, would really liek to see somebody do it. Just thought some of you that have been wondering (liek eboy) would liek to know.

Last edited by pgmike; Dec 14, 2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 02:53 AM
Evolved Member

ok since we would be getting rid of the maf, we would need to get engine management to read from a map sensor correct? i read somewhere that you would need a standalone for this, why wouldnt an emanage be sufficient since they have the ability to read from a map sensor?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 03:39 AM
EvoM Guru

from what i've read, you'll still be able to retain the MAS. rpw seems to be going with the old VW style dual throttlebody setup where both butterflies are in one unit on one side of the intake plenum chamber. if they went with the same setup as the the 1.5L MAP systems, it'd be pretty hard to get both TB's piping connected to the MAS as the TBs are on opposite sides of the manifold. if the MAS can still be used(which it seems like it will be), fuel upgrades and a normal piggyback would seem to suffice. this kind of development is what has been delaying the setup from finishing cuz i remember hearing about this a loooooooong time ago too.

why an emanage won't work is because the pressure sensor is used in conjunction with the MAS. only because the ecu still needs a MAS reading to operate correctly. the pressure sensor is independent and the emanage doesn't convert pressure readings to MAS frequency. the pressure sensor is used to control fuel above what the stock sensor can read. even though the ecu will hit a sensor "ceiling" with the stock sensors, the emanage will still make adjustments based on the pressure sensor.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Would twin throttle body give a lot of gains for our Lancer? Our head can take only so much air unless it would be ported and polished.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:10 PM
EvoM Guru

well, this isn't exactly the first mod you would do. this is bit more involving and beyond bolt-ons.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

and porting and polishing is something you do way down the road, it would give NA guys minimal gains. i was told that PnP the head really give no appreciable gains until you are over 13psi anyways.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Would there be any noticeable gains over just a bored throttle body with this?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

yes, rpw makes a quad throttle body setup, not sure if its on our cars or not, i woudl assume that they can do it but they have a set up for other cars and with quad throttle bodies and i was told that it actually produces 2 psi of boost in the intake manifold.

gregivq - i wouldn't worry about getting too much air with twin throttle bodies when there are people forcing 5+ psi of boost in there with no probs.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 03:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pgmike
and porting and polishing is something you do way down the road, it would give NA guys minimal gains. i was told that PnP the head really give no appreciable gains until you are over 13psi anyways.
But Boe had his PnPed when he was still N/A - was that in preparation for boost?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

The quad tb's were supposed to give 40-50% increase in hp but that also required a stand alone engine management system. Hopefully only a piggy back will be needed for the twin TB.

WADAD
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

the quad throttle bodies cost a bundle, like 2K i believe.

doug, ask him.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

if these duals come out i may decide to stay N/A... it should give me all the power i want until i can afford a better car... or hell... i think you can through Twin tb onto a turbo setup cant you lol
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

yea the rpw ones were for a mirage, but i believe the setup could also be used for our car...
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Including the Haltech or other engine management the Quad's would have run over 2K yes. I think they were only 1k or so for the actually tb assembly by itself.

WADAD
Old Dec 15, 2004, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

dang it would look awesome!!!!! we could even have a blower LOL

Quick Reply: Twin Throttle Bodies