Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Broken rear ABS tone ring?

Old Oct 14, 2008, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken rear ABS tone ring?

I have a damaged rear ABS tone (or target) ring that needs to be replaced. Anyone have this problem? I have been told in order to get a replacement tone ring I will need to buy from Mitsu the entire passenger side drive shaft including CV joint ($620 installed). This seems to me to be rediculous that this relatively inexpensive part isn't availible separately. Any one solve this w/o getting the full drive shaft????
Old Oct 14, 2008, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Your talking about the ring with teeth in it right? No I had to replace the entire shaft when I had a chipped tooth and was causing my ABS light to come on at freeway speeds. Took the dealership 3 months to figure it out.

I believe its part of the shaft, so it doesnt just come off and can be replaced.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

I know the fronts are one piece, but I thought the shop manual showed the rear rings as a separate part. Your best bet if it is all one piece is to find a used one here in the classified section. You can't post there with only 1 post on the forum but you can send private messages.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 04:26 AM

Thanks guys. I just want the car back with the ABS working so I sprung for the whole alex unit with the tone ring. I have the old unit being given back to me so I will report back tonight if there is anyway to replace the tone ring without replacing the whole shaft. Ah... the first real problem with the car over 5 years and 85K, not bad. Time to move up
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:30 PM

Follow-up. The tone ring is definately one piece with the rear axle. The ring is attached to the outer cv joint. It does not appear to be removeable or replaceable separately. What happened in my case was the metal cv joint underneath the tone ring rusted and the corrosion expanded enough to crack the ring. The small crack in the tone ring was enough to cause a misread by the ABS sensor. I will post a picture as part of this response when I can download it.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Yup thats how mine was too but it wasnt from rust, I was in a minor accident and one of the teeth got chipped somehow. Took the dealer FOREVER to figure it out but they replaced under warranty
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

i slid into a curb last winter and busted the ring, cost me $1000 from the stealership.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Resurrection...:]

I have one missing and one bent tooth in my ABS tone ring/ wheel speed sensor ring and it is causing the same issue. Right rear axle.

Dealer stated need new axle, not willing to replace just the toothed ring.

Anyone ever replace just the toothed ring? Source for the toothed ring?

500 plus dollars for a new axle. need a more reasonable solution.

Thanks for the input

Tech at dealersip stated they used to replace just the ring, but if not installed/epoxied correctly, would end up having to do the whole axle anyways so now Mitsu just replaces the whole axle.

Any one find an alternative source for tone ring yet? I would at least like to try it...
Old Oct 14, 2014, 08:58 PM

Sorry for bumping an old tread but a friend of mine is having this same problem ..is there a fix or he has to get a new pass side rear axle?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 05:36 PM

rear axle tone ring

Originally Posted by real fast
Sorry for bumping an old tread but a friend of mine is having this same problem ..is there a fix or he has to get a new pass side rear axle?
I ran into the same problem on the left rear axle, found the tone ring cracked.Found out they sold the rear tone ring on ebay from the UK. It came in about two weeks. Removed left rear axle, removed old tone ring, cleaned the ring seat and installed the tone ring after heating it up a bit for it to expand and place it in and bam..worked fine
Old Nov 9, 2014, 05:39 PM

rear axle tone ring

Here is a pic of the rear axle with new tone ring installed
Attached Thumbnails Broken rear ABS tone ring?-20141106_174226.jpg  
Old Nov 9, 2014, 05:43 PM

Here is a link for the rear tone ring on ebay
http://m.ebay.com/itm/MITSUBISHI-LAN...-/290906059704
Old Jul 29, 2017, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by boosted9
Here is a link for the rear tone ring on ebay
http://m.ebay.com/itm/MITSUBISHI-LAN...-/290906059704
Did this work forever? I have heard of these repairs to the tone rings not lasting forever. I have the same issue currently and am about to order a new tone rings.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 04:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
A shop that rebuilds cv joints can put a new tone ring on there.

They are removeable. If they werent removeable they would be made of same material as the cv joint.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:17 AM

I am in the process of removing my axle for this currently. I will take pictures of everything as I progress through removal and install of a new abs reluctor ring!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broken rear ABS tone ring?