Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

The Ultimate Track OIL Temp / Pressure / Starvation Thread!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Ultimate Track OIL Temp / Pressure / Starvation Thread!

Wanted to get a thread going to discuss what everyone has done to help protect against issues on the track in relation to oil pressure, oil temps, oil starvation etc.

Monitoring/logging temps is a great idea obviously; I know I do. I would like to know at what point we really need to look into upgrading the stock setup? I would think once you progress to wider/stickier tires and pushing faster with through long sweepers you're inviting more trouble into the equation. I know the more time spent at higher rpm's, the more you'll raise your temps as well.

So anyone that has had issues please post up. What were the issues you had, at what point did they surface and what did you do to upgrade/fix these? Let's get a good dialogue going to keep our cars running safely out there!

There's some options our there like:
  • Switch to a higher grade oil for more protection
  • Gauges - Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, etc
  • Baffled oil pans / Wet Sump setups (AMS for example here)
  • Accumsump pump (install here)
  • A more expensive Dry sump setup (AMS for example here)
  • Upgraded oil coolers (Setrab, HKS or AMS for example here)

Other threads talking about Oil Temps:

Last edited by boomn29; Jan 15, 2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 02:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
only issue i've had with the time attack car is the light comes on at idle after i come off the track. i'm switching from AMSOIL 10w30 and going to the 15w50 racing oil to see if it helps. once the cage is done, i'll start logging oil pressure and temp.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
With PICS!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:11 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
only issue i've had with the time attack car is the light comes on at idle after i come off the track. i'm switching from AMSOIL 10w30 and going to the 15w50 racing oil to see if it helps. once the cage is done, i'll start logging oil pressure and temp.
i think there has been some testing done and phisics took it course on it, thicker oil was not raditing the heat quick enough end result was maintaining a higher temp throught the race.

Nathan and you know my opinion regarding your topic as we discussed via emails

Last edited by apagan01; Jan 16, 2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

I remember reading now, but it was on some NW evo site, about the TTS gg voltex'd out evo that GST built, which I believe Brian posted on here some time ago. The guy had a 3 quart Accusump WITH the AMS wetsump pan (which he never stopped *****ing about the fit) and STILL had single digit oil pressures on long hard right hand sweepers. Mostly when they were 'backtoback' because the accusump would not charge quickly enough for the 2nd turn. He was running R6's too. No idea on oil grade.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
I remember reading now, but it was on some NW evo site, about the TTS gg voltex'd out evo that GST built, which I believe Brian posted on here some time ago. The guy had a 3 quart Accusump WITH the AMS wetsump pan (which he never stopped *****ing about the fit) and STILL had single digit oil pressures on long hard right hand sweepers. Mostly when they were 'backtoback' because the accusump would not charge quickly enough for the 2nd turn. He was running R6's too. No idea on oil grade.
That would be Smack, maybe I can get him to chime on in here. He still runs the above set up, and if you are running anything under a 100TW, I can imagine back-to-back right hand sweepers can be an issue.

If anyone has more experience with this, please post up. The more information, the better

Any one on here do any logging of oil temps/pressures?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 02:37 AM
Evolved Member

I am going to use a Race Keeper data/video system this season. I will report back later this year how well it records. The base system cost $1400.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 05:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
I was planning to install an Accusump this season. It's distressing to hear that a car with the Accusump and the AMS pan was still having problems. I thought the AMS pan was supposed to solve the issue at the source?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
I've have the same problem with fresh 5w oil. I purchased a new sensor but haven't put it in yet. I doubt my sensor is bad as this only happens after long lapping sessions.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Seeing a peak of 270 degrees oil temp isn't really a rare situation for me. It'll take driving > 6500rpms to get up there though - and extended lapping to keep it there. If I take just a 1/2 lap off and do some coasting I'll drop 10 degrees pretty quick. 1 full cool-down lap of at the end of the session and I'll be back down around 220 or something more sane. I'm running AMSoil 10w30 'Dominator' oil.
I have an oil temp gauge that I'm going to have hooked up for this year to monitor as well.

I have warning and peak recall on my STRi gauges. I don't currently log them but I'm wondering if I should just to see? It'll be pretty difficult to check the oil pressure during sweepers!
Old Jan 18, 2010, 09:51 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ Nathan i cant recal if you already told me but have we ran this by AMS to see what is their take on the temps.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
^^ Nathan i cant recal if you already told me but have we ran this by AMS to see what is their take on the temps.
Yes we did.
I asked AMS and I pm'd all the hardcore guys on this site I knew of. A lot of people seen temps as high as me (peak 260-270 degrees) and a lot higher. I talked to several people that seen 280+ and constant.

I wanted to hopefully pull everything into a single thread and talk about when it's time to upgrade. Like when do we need an accusump, or an upgraded oil cooler or simply a larger oil pan?!??!
As we all know; starve the engine of oil once....ugh.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

350z's are supposed to have the same issue, may want to steal from them and post here as well.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

i got no more problems with oil starvation or temps.... really need to get the car running again..
Old Jan 19, 2010, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Because.....*i have x part, using x thing with x oil or whatever*

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Track OIL Temp / Pressure / Starvation Thread!