Notices

Time for new tires!

Old May 26, 2013, 12:41 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Time for new tires!

So I have 47k on my '11, and I'm down to the wear indicators on my OEM Goodyears. They have been "meh" and I have no desire to replace them, especially at $200 a pop.

After poking around TireRack, I'm looking at the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. It is not available in a 225/55R18, so I'd be getting it in 235/55R18. Speedo will only be off by about 1% at 60MPH, and the difference in revolutions per mile isn't too bad either (see image below).

Reviews, surveys, and magazine tests are all quite impressive, and they are a "low rolling resistance" tire so I think that should even out the added resistance of a 235 wide, and of course the 235 should look a lot better under there.

Your thoughts?

TireRack.com - Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus

Old May 26, 2013, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
thoughts...?
Well, those tight spacing > it'll definitely be a "quieter" ride.

But, I'm not a fan of those asymmetrical tread designs... they're always off when it comes to the way it they mount from one side to the other. Here's what I mean >

Driver side:

Passenger side:

The angle of the "inner" tread face will always have one side that's angled the wrong way.

Since I'm fairly frugal... I suggest you go with the original spec-ed tire size and look at these Pirellis (Pirelli P6 Four Seasons Plus : 225/55R18 97H FRD B) >
And, @ $133 each (Discount Tire), hard to beat on price.

At least the tread is symmetrical and no matter how you flip them, their tread pattern will be the same.

Last edited by mRVRsport; May 26, 2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old May 26, 2013, 07:15 AM
EvoM Moderator

Ah, yes, I forgot to mention I know a guy who owns a Bridgestone store, so I can get the ones in the OP for $159 each.

I'll reply to the rest in a little while, gotta run for now. Thanks for the input though!
Old May 26, 2013, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

^
Sure. Anytime.
That's cool to have a hookup like that.. The price looks better at $159.

But, just in case you didn't know. There's a $50 rebate (instant online, expires tomorrow though) on the pirellis (when you buy 4). Just a heads up.

Last edited by mRVRsport; May 26, 2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old May 26, 2013, 08:58 AM
EvoM Moderator

So you got me thinking about the asymmetrical thing!

Here's TireRack's thoughts:

When shopping for tires, it pays to make sure you're getting the right tread design for your driving needs. The three most common tread designs are: symmetrical, asymmetrical and directional/unidirectional. Each tread design serves a specific purpose that will effect driving characteristics and tire rotations.

Symmetric Tread Pattern

A symmetric tread pattern is the most common and features continuous ribs or independent tread blocks across the entire tread face where both inboard and outboard halves feature the same pattern. Tires featuring symmetric tread patterns allow using multiple tire rotation patterns. Two of our highest rated all-season tires with a symmetrical tread pattern are the Michelin Primacy MXV4 and Hankook Optimo H727.

Asymmetric Tread Pattern

An asymmetric pattern is designed to blend the requirements of dry grip and water dispersal/snow traction where the tread pattern changes across the face of the tire. An asymmetric tread pattern typically incorporates larger tread ribs/blocks on the outboard side to increase cornering stability on dry surfaces by offering greater contact area. This also helps to reduce tread squirm and heat buildup on the outside shoulder. The inboard side usually has smaller independent tread blocks to aid wet and/or winter traction when driving straight ahead. Tires with asymmetric tread patterns allow using multiple tire rotation patterns. Two of our highest rated all-season asymmetrical tires are the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus and Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

[...]
and

It's very common for a customer to get very excited over the tread pattern of their newly purchased asymmetric tires. While I agree the look of the grooves would lead you to have them pointing in a downward direction during rotation, the reality is there isn't a significant enough of difference for it to matter.

With an asymmetric design you need the larger shoulder block on the outside to take the abuse during cornering, this is more important than the direction of the groove on the inboard shoulder for water evacuation. The groove channels are small enough that the water will escape to the circumferential grooves when under speed. There's an unbelievable amount of force being exerted on the tire when the leading edge hits the road. Water is going to move through those lateral grooves out to the circumferential grooves for evacuation due to the force being exerted. Those grooves must also have an angle to them. While they would work just as well if they were perpendicular to the larger circumferential grooves, the tire would be very loud. By introducing an angle, noise levels are lowered.

Testing data and feedback on the tire is based on them mounted with the outside marking facing outside. The tire will perform as intended when installed in this manner. There's no left side and right design available. The fact remains, the engineers designing these tires are achieving the performance goals with this design. You'll see this on tires from all brands using an asymmetric approach.

Last edited by Burtonrider1002; May 26, 2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old May 26, 2013, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

^
Nice info... but,
Granted we aren't pushing our O.Sports like track cars to really test those claims, nor am I an engineer who design tires that can give you data to back it up.

All I'm saying is that in my opinion, I tend to hesitate on those asymmetrical tires because of the direction of those tread which are different from one side of the vehicle to the other. (as shown above)

I don't know about you, just knowing my tires (treads) are not ALL pointing in the same direction would bother me to no end.

Side Note:
If I'm not mistaken - isn't having those two major channels near the center (as seen on those Pirrellis) of the tire Better than any kind of "grooves in blocks" design anyways? As to "pumping" out water out of the contact patch?
Old May 26, 2013, 05:35 PM
EvoM Moderator

Idk for sure, but the one article said that the groove location/angle was basically irrelevant because no matter what the water is going to go down the groove.

I don't mind the tread facing opposite so long as it does not hurt the performance, and according to the article it really shouldn't.

Old May 26, 2013, 05:45 PM
EvoM Moderator

Idk for sure, but the one article said that the groove location/angle was basically irrelevant because no matter what the water is going to go down the groove.

I don't mind the tread facing opposite so long as it does not hurt the performance, and according to the article it really shouldn't.

Old May 27, 2013, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

^
Double posting... a little antsy with getting your point across, aye.

Actually I've experienced tires that aren't designed so well (even though they were "all season") in wet weather conditions, and I can feel how it pulls my vehicle to one side when I hit that rain puddle, so it Does matter how the grooves and/or channels are designed.
Old May 27, 2013, 09:03 PM
EvoM Moderator

I was basing it off the article. That writer doesn't seem to have any specific credentials I can find though.

I'm not dead-set on the asymmetrical tires (or else I'd have just bought them already), and I said you raised a valid point that I ended up looking into, so I'm not sure why the eye rolling...

Last edited by Burtonrider1002; May 27, 2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old May 27, 2013, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

The eye rolling was because I was drunk..
Old May 27, 2013, 10:28 PM
EvoM Moderator

Well now I'm just jealous.
Old May 28, 2013, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW i put my first set of LRR tires on my pig about 10 months ago

Pro's
gas mileage, very little wear

Cons
ice skates in the snow, not the worst ever but i've driven a track car on snow with falken Azenis and had more traction at times
They're not great in rain either
Old May 28, 2013, 10:49 AM
EvoM Moderator

Snow is irrelevant, I have a second set of rims/tires for the winter.

That bit about the rain is quite concerning though...
Old May 28, 2013, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Rain is definitely a major concern for us here.
We get them randomly and drivers here go about their business driving 65-70MPH like it was still dry pavement. And, only slow their *** down after there's an accident.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Time for new tires!