Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

OEM Coolant/Water Temp Gauge not working

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OEM Coolant/Water Temp Gauge not working

Hey, I have had my evo 8 for a little while now and the stock water temp gauge on the dash is not functioning. The previous owner was a real idiot and had an aftermarket water temp gauge installed (which fails to work also-_-). I am guessing this is the reason why the stock gauge doesn’t work now. The gauge itself appears to be fine. I think this because when I turn the car off it goes all the way down. The problem is it could be 40 degrees out and when I first start the car after it has been sitting for a day of so and it will immediately go up to dead center. For this reason I think it is a wiring problem or the gauge is disconnected somehow. If anyone is familiar with this type of stuff and has any input it would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this stuff and clueless lol. Thanks, Brian
Old Nov 21, 2013, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
There's been other owners who thought they had overheating problems when it turned out to be a wiring problem. The gauge would read normally part of the time and then suddenly read hot. If they logged the temperature via the ECU everything was okay. So, maybe you have a related problem.

Since I have never encountered this problem I can't provide further help but can only suggest you search for posts concerning overheating problems.

Last edited by barneyb; Nov 21, 2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a temp sender on the front of the thermostat housing and one sensor on the back for coolant temperature. The one on the front (one wire) sends to the gauge in the dash. I would check that and see if it is loose, the connector base tends to get loose over time. I would replace it and see if that fixes your issue?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
btw this is the sensor that Memphis is referring to, and it can be purchased it from Autozone.
cheers!

ps. make sure your grounds are good as well!

Name:  IMG-20130426-00013_zps4b122634.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  90.7 KB
Old Nov 23, 2013, 05:01 AM

Thank you guy! I will def look into this stuff soon! I want to get that damn gauge working hahaha
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by detroit pistins
btw this is the sensor that Memphis is referring to, and it can be purchased it from Autozone.
cheers!

Ok so I went out and looked and I have an orange wire that's connected to a sensor that looks a bit different from the one pictures above and next to the sensor I have what looks like a original black wire just hanging free with a taped up plug on it. I guess that I need to buy the one above, install it, then slip the black connector over that prong on the above sensor? Write or wrong? Lol thanks again
Old Nov 23, 2013, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

can u post a pic of the setup u have? ..... the good news is this sensor in the pic is cheap I think it was around $15
Old Oct 13, 2017, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cheers!

Attachment 276459
Hey I'm sorry for the revive but i got that same sensor to replace my coolant temp gauge sensor as well, but im looking at the front of the thermostat housing and it connects to a black wire by going over a screw and secured by a nut. on my picture itll be that brass part
Attached Thumbnails OEM Coolant/Water Temp Gauge not working-image-20171013-163435.jpg  
Old Oct 13, 2017, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Difficult to see from the pic.... can you take a "zoomed-out" pic to see what ur looking at?
it could be that the previous owner broke the clip that "slides" on the connector, and mod this one to work.....
Are you the original owner?
did u try the new sensor?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 01:25 AM

Difficult to see from the pic.... can you take a "zoomed-out" pic to see what ur looking at?
it could be that the previous owner broke the clip that "slides" on the connector, and mod this one to work.....
Are you the original owner?
did u try the new sensor?
Im not the original owner, but the connector from the black wire is this ring that goes over srew threads behind the sensor to the thermostat housing. the part i got looks exactly like yours, and from autozone as well
Old Oct 14, 2017, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
yea dude i think i got the right sensor, but it looks completely different than the one that guy was alluding too earlier. also got a better pic to show that im looking at that exact spot on the picture you got
Attached Thumbnails OEM Coolant/Water Temp Gauge not working-image-20171014-111325.jpg  
Old Oct 14, 2017, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Can you remove the connector? meaning is it a quick disconnect type like stock or wrapped around that input to the sensor...etc?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 01:29 PM

Can you remove the connector? meaning is it a quick disconnect type like stock or wrapped around that input to the sensor...etc?
i can remove the connector by uncrewing a nut and removing the connector from the output of the sensor. guessing i got some kind of weird sensor but why would the original owner use a completely new sensor unless its some aftermarket thermostat housing or something
Old Oct 14, 2017, 02:08 PM

anyways i suppose it could be any fluid temp sensor to use for this gauge. bless the evom forums XD

Quick Reply: OEM Coolant/Water Temp Gauge not working