Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Here is Info on Colors, Options, and Option Packages for Each Evo 8/9 Model Year!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Here is Info on Colors, Options, and Option Packages for Each Evo 8/9 Model Year!

What Evo do you have? Base? GSR? SE? MR? MR SE? SSL? RS? What do all those things mean? What options did your Evo come with? What colors were available for each model year, and did certain option packages require certain colors? Find all of that info and more below!

First, I know that some of the information below is probably elsewhere on this site, but it isn't all put together into one convenient post from what I could find. This info was put together primarily for those who have questions regarding options, option packages, and available colors for each model year (MY). I also included additional information and fun facts to further increase the usefulness of this post.

Now if you have your VIN handy, you can see the exact options your car came with by copying the link below and pasting your VIN after the equals sign (note that the VIN letters need to be capitalized for it to work).

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/rs/file/monroney?vin=

Overall Production figures:
Evo 8 - 12,846.
Evo 9 - 8,201.
Total CT9A - 21,047.

Approximate weights for different option packages:
Base/GSR - 3,263 lbs.
MR - 3,285 lbs.
RS - 3,217 lbs.
SSL - 3,338 lbs.

Approximate weights for brand new 2006 MY Evos after subtracting fuel weight. Info is from Vorshlag (https://www.vorshlag.com/tech_evoweights.php):
Base/GSR- 3,203 lbs.
MR - 3,220 lbs.
MR SE - 3,207 lbs.
RS - N/A.
SE - 3,171 lbs.
SSL - 3,270 lbs.
Note that simply removing the spare tire, trunk mat, jack, and tools lightens an Evo by 42 lbs.!

For MY specifics scroll down below and locate the year of the Evo that you are interested in learning about. Note that there was no CT9A Evo that was known as the GSR in the U.S., but for easy classification many refer to the regular/base model as the GSR. I'll also note here that no CT9A Evo came with cruise control.

2003:
The first year for the Evo 8 and also the first year that the U.S. gets the Evo.

Production Numbers:
- 7,167 total for 2003.

Power Figures:
- 271 hp @ 6500 rpm, 273 ft-lbs. @ 3500 rpm.

What comes standard on base model (aka GSR):
- 5 speed, turbo has 9.8 hotside, open front differential, intercooler sprayer, low profile spoiler (the majority were ordered with the optional carbon fiber spoiler though), HID headlights, and fog lights.
- Basic power options- power windows, locks, keyless entry, A/C, CD player, etc.

Options that are available separately on top of base model (aka GSR):
- 6 disc CD, moonroof, carbon fiber spoiler in lieu of the low profile spoiler.

Colors offered:
- Apex Silver (AS).
- Blue By You (BBY).
- Lightning Yellow (LY).
- Rally Red (RR).
- Tarmac Black (TB).
- Weightless White (WW) (Weightless White is not as bright as Wicked White).

2004:
The rarest year for the Evo 8 and the rarest year for the CT9A Evo as a whole. Options now only come in packages. SSL and RS packages are now available.

Production Numbers:
- 263 RS.
- 1,254 Base (aka GSR), includes SSL.
- 1,517 total for 2004.

Power Figures:
- 271 hp @ 6500 rpm, 273 ft-lbs. @ 3500 rpm.

- 5 speed, turbo has 9.8 hotside, open front differential, intercooler sprayer, carbon fiber spoiler, HID headlights, and fog lights.
- Basic power options- power windows, locks, keyless entry, A/C, CD player, etc.

Option packages available:
- SSL (sun, sound, leather) package is available in all colors. SSL adds to the base model (aka GSR): premium sound system with Infinity subwoofer, leather seats, and moonroof.

- RS is only available in RR or WW. RS deletes from the base model the audio system, HID headlights, fog lights, ABS, rear wing, power windows, power locks, power mirrors, sound deadening, trunk-compartment trim, rear wiper, map lights, rear assist handles, parking-brake handle leather, center-console lid, and keyless-entry system. The door mirrors and handles are black instead of body-colored. RS adds front LSD and aluminum roof.

Colors:
- Apex Silver (AS).
- Blue By You (BBY).
- Lightning Yellow (LY).
- Rally Red (RR).
- Tarmac Black (TB).
- Weightless White (WW) (Weightless White is not as bright as Wicked White).

2005:
The most desirable year for the Evo 8 from a performance standpoint. Turbo is upgraded to a 10.5 hotside, which bumps the power slightly when compared to MY 2004. ACD, front LSD, and halogen headlights are now standard. The intercooler sprayer was deleted to make room for the ACD. MR package is now available.

Production Numbers:
- 282 RS.
- 1,000 MR.
- 2,880 base model (aka GSR), includes SSL.
- 4,162 total for 2005.

Power Figures:
- 276 hp @ 6500 rpm, 286 ft-lbs. @ 3500 rpm.

5 speed, turbo has 10.5 hotside, front LSD, ACD, carbon fiber spoiler, halogen headlights.
Basic power options- power windows, locks, keyless entry, A/C, CD player, etc.

- SSL (sun, sound, leather) package is available in all colors (except GG for MY 2005). SSL adds to the base model (aka GSR): premium sound system with Infinity subwoofer, leather seats, moonroof, HID headlights, and fog lights.

- RS is only available in RR or WW. RS deletes from the base model (aka GSR): audio system, ABS, rear wing, power windows, power locks, power mirrors, sound deadening, trunk-compartment trim, rear wiper, map lights, rear assist handles, parking-brake handle leather, center-console lid, and keyless-entry system. The door mirrors and handles are black instead of body-colored. RS adds front LSD and aluminum roof.

- MR is only available in AS, GG, RR, or WW. MR adds to the base model (aka GSR): Bilstein suspension, aluminum roof, vortex generator, 6 speed, gauge pack, carbon fiber e-brake handle, 17.74lb BBS forged wheels, HID headlights, and fog lights.

Colors:
- Apex Silver (AS).
- Electric Blue (EB).
- Graphite Gray (GG). (GG only available on MR for MY 2005).
- Lightning Yellow (LY).
- Rally Red (RR).
- Tarmac Black (TB).
- Wicked White (WW).

2006:
The first and only year for the Evo 9. MIVEC engine and larger compressor side on turbo bump the power figures slightly when compared to MY 2005. Arguably the most desirable MY for the CT9A.

Production Numbers:
- 358 RS.
- 4,176 MR.
- 3,667 base model (aka GSR), includes SSL and SE.
- 8,201 total for 2006.

Power Figures:
- 286 hp @ 6500 rpm, 289 ft-lbs. @ 3500 rpm

5 speed, front LSD, ACD, rear spoiler with carbon fiber center section, halogen headlights.
Basic power options- power windows, locks, keyless entry, A/C, CD player, etc.

- SSL (sun, sound, leather) package is available in all colors. SSL adds to the base model (aka GSR): premium sound system with Infinity subwoofer, leather seats, moonroof, HID headlights, and fog lights.

- RS is only available in RR or WW. RS deletes from the base model (aka GSR): audio system, ABS, rear wing, power windows, power locks, power mirrors, sound deadening, trunk-compartment trim, rear wiper, map lights, rear assist handles, parking-brake handle leather, center-console lid, and keyless-entry system. The door mirrors and handles are black instead of body-colored. RS adds front LSD and aluminum roof.

- SE is available later in the MY and is only available in AS, GG, or TB. SE adds to the base model (aka GSR): red-stitching on the suede seats, aluminum roof, 17.74lb BBS forged wheels in diamond black color, SE lip, HID headlights, and fog lights.

- MR is at first only available in AS, GG, RR, or WW. Later in the MY the MR is made available in TB. MR adds to the base model (aka GSR): Bilstein suspension, aluminum roof, vortex generator, 6 speed, gauge pack, carbon fiber e-brake handle, 17.74lb BBS forged wheels, HID headlights, and fog lights.
- Note!! An appearance package is made available later in the MY for the MR that includes some SE parts and it is only available in AS, GG, or TB. The package includes the SE seats, SE wheels, and SE lip. Some people refer to that option as the MR SE for easier clarification. The only way you can get an MR in TB is with the appearance package.
- The Zero Lift Kit is also available as a separate option on the MR which includes a wickerbill extension on the spoiler (aka gurney flap), front under air dam, and front brake air guides.

Colors:
- Apex Silver (AS).
- Electric Blue (EB).
- Graphite Gray (GG).
- Rally Red (RR).
- Tarmac Black (TB).
- Wicked White (WW).

Thank you for reading- I hope you all find this information useful!

Last edited by kpt6; Jul 21, 2017 at 06:11 PM.
The following 17 users liked this post by kpt6:
4g63 16g (Aug 4, 2018), 4G63_Crazy (Jun 5, 2017), B4NGER (May 26, 2019), black E (Feb 27, 2024), deylag (Aug 22, 2018), DJLanevo (Jan 11, 2018), DontStopMe (Apr 18, 2017), emma_ria (Dec 29, 2018), empunker (Sep 3, 2017), Ian0611 (Jul 10, 2019), Is2scooby (Sep 27, 2018), jackbenimbo (Dec 23, 2020), mccloed (Jan 17, 2021), RendragSemaj (May 28, 2018), SicklyFriend (Jul 10, 2018), SoSoEVO (Nov 2, 2018), toyotagt1 (May 29, 2017) and 12 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Sep 11, 2015, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome to see this much info on all the years. thanks for sharing!!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very informative, should be added to the other evo differences sticky. The 9 wing is also hollow and a little lighter, whereas the 8 wing has foam in it. I've seen cut-in-half comparisons and seen posts about the 9 wing collapsing at high speeds. Also, what about the addition of the aluminum hood? Believe it came on the 8 MR then on all 9s (don't quote me on that). Also, doesn't the 9 head have improved passages for coolant? Nonetheless, still a great post.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Edit since Tommyy beat me to the punch and posted just before I did!
Originally Posted by B Roharik
awesome to see this much info on all the years. thanks for sharing!!
^Certainly!

Originally Posted by Tommyy
Very informative, should be added to the other evo differences sticky. The 9 wing is also hollow and a little lighter, whereas the 8 wing has foam in it. I've seen cut-in-half comparisons and seen posts about the 9 wing collapsing at high speeds. Also, what about the addition of the aluminum hood? Believe it came on the 8 MR then on all 9s (don't quote me on that). Also, doesn't the 9 head have improved passages for coolant? Nonetheless, still a great post.
I agree, it would be useful if the mods were willing to put it with the other sticky, as questions about colors and options are still asked all the time on the site. All Evo 8s and 9s had the aluminum hood. And I didn't bother breaking down the differences between the 8 and 9 motor since I figured that might be a little too technical for why I was putting this info together. You are right though in that revised coolant passage holes are one of the various differences between the 2 engines

Last edited by kpt6; Sep 12, 2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I wish I could know how many of those 21,047 cars are still registered. I'd guess maybe half.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Must have wicked white or rally red lol. Thank you for the write up!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is great....I bought my car as a rolling shell with no idea what it was like before it got scrapped. Now I have some kinda reference to go by. Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2015, 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome write up, thanks. I love the VIN identifier.

Last edited by wc351; Sep 16, 2015 at 04:45 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are these figures for the US market only? cus I have an 03 ww evo gsr, 6 speed with HIDs but no foglights... doesnt quite match up with the info above.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

^U.S. figures. Your car is definitely a mish-mash though. The 6 speed wasn't even around in 2003. Additionally, if you have factory HID, then your car has fogs. If it doesn't, then you may be confusing halogen projectors for HID.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Bump for new members!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 04:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
My Evo 9 is plated 2005
Old Dec 16, 2016, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
This is awesome! Thank you for the useful bump.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I had to chime in to say this is a great post and should be a sticky!
Old Dec 18, 2016, 08:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great info. Very curious that the MR was the most produced model in 2006. Thanks for the research!

Quick Reply: Here is Info on Colors, Options, and Option Packages for Each Evo 8/9 Model Year!