Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X - Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo X - Battery Replacement

This is turning out to be way more complicated than it should be....

The stock battery has venting, which is difficult to find a non-OEM replacement for apparently. The dealership will sell me an OEM one for $343, no thanks. I've done some research and it appears many replace theirs with a sealed AGM battery. It sounds like there is a very minor risk of not venting potential fumes.

I called AMS on the mini batteries and they didn't recommend them if not used frequently. My car is not a DD and is stored over the winter.

It looks like many have switched to the red top with mixed results. I even looked up the Braille batteries which seem great (and you pay for greatness) but there isn't a dealer nearby. My car comes off winter storage this Friday and I really need a safe battery to get it on the road.

Help! If you have a recommendation, please include the product specifics - group#, part#, etc.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Optima Red top here. 0 issues and going on a year and a half.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I look at Optima's website in put in the vehicle parameters for the 2.0L it shows a red top but stats 'Exc EVO'. Is there a specific one or do you just use that one?

It also says it requires a 'bottom height adapter'. Did yours fit in the stock tray in the trunk?

Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 03:34 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by e_kobz
Optima Red top here. 0 issues and going on a year and a half.
Same here. Been over 2 years with tge red top. Use to be my DD. Not anymore. Didn't move all winter. Fired right up when I needed/wanted it to.

Edit. Info. Optima P/N: ALE08FB1X01, Mdl # SC34MT. With gas vent tube capability. Runs $300-$260. The non vent tube version Optima Red Top replacement is P/N: 8020-164. Runs $180-$140 .

I have the ALE. Fits in stock tray. Not using any type of adapter.

Last edited by .M.; Mar 29, 2016 at 04:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rsjgp (May 10, 2016)
Old Nov 19, 2017, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by .M.
Same here. Been over 2 years with tge red top. Use to be my DD. Not anymore. Didn't move all winter. Fired right up when I needed/wanted it to.

Edit. Info. Optima P/N: ALE08FB1X01, Mdl # SC34MT. With gas vent tube capability. Runs $300-$260. The non vent tube version Optima Red Top replacement is P/N: 8020-164. Runs $180-$140 .

I have the ALE. Fits in stock tray. Not using any type of adapter.
hi, thanks for the research!

unfortunately, i can't find anywhere to order this battery online, even using that pn.

does anyone know of a website/URL where i can buy the correct optima battery with compatibility with the stock venting tube?

thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Try advanced auto parts. Got yellow top from them many years ago.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
got my redtop from Pepboys.. they have it in Autozone, O'Reily, Walmart
Old Nov 19, 2017, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by m0nkie
got my redtop from Pepboys.. they have it in Autozone, O'Reily, Walmart
the specific one for our car? I needs to have a vent outlet to connect your hose to
Old Nov 20, 2017, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Why do you need your AGM battery to be vented? AGM batteries are normally sealed. They do have a venting system integrated into the case top but it is not normally venting. In the event of an overcharge condition, it is possible for excess pressure to build up inside your battery. AGM batteries are equipped with check valves that are engineered to open at between 2-3 PSI depending upon the specific brand. What will be expelled is hydrogen gas, and you want to vent that as it is quite explosive.

The good news here is that hydrogen mixes with air very readily and so not too much ventilation is required. The trunk/cabin space in an Evo is not tightly sealed so unless you leave the battery on a charger for a long time or have a seriously issue with your alternator, you'll probably be fine.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by splattj
Why do you need your AGM battery to be vented? AGM batteries are normally sealed. They do have a venting system integrated into the case top but it is not normally venting. In the event of an overcharge condition, it is possible for excess pressure to build up inside your battery. AGM batteries are equipped with check valves that are engineered to open at between 2-3 PSI depending upon the specific brand. What will be expelled is hydrogen gas, and you want to vent that as it is quite explosive.

The good news here is that hydrogen mixes with air very readily and so not too much ventilation is required. The trunk/cabin space in an Evo is not tightly sealed so unless you leave the battery on a charger for a long time or have a seriously issue with your alternator, you'll probably be fine.
Thanks man for the explanation.

I did find a thread that had an Optima rep chime in:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post8722576

Basically he confirmed what you said above except that he ended with saying we should use a battery with a hose hookup still, just in case.

But, I guess you all already use the rep top without the hose?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 07:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I've used a red top without hose for a couple years now.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by St1g
Thanks man for the explanation.

I did find a thread that had an Optima rep chime in:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post8722576

Basically he confirmed what you said above except that he ended with saying we should use a battery with a hose hookup still, just in case.

But, I guess you all already use the rep top without the hose?
Yeah, Optima, or any battery manufacturer will tell you that for liability reasons. I also cannot cannot condone using a non-vented battery, but do so myself.
The following users liked this post:
St1g (Nov 20, 2017)
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by splattj
Yeah, Optima, or any battery manufacturer will tell you that for liability reasons. I also cannot cannot condone using a non-vented battery, but do so myself.
ha ha, cool. thanks man. i just ordered one from amazon for $233. couldn't find one cheaper locally.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Holy crap. You guys paid a ton of money for a replacement.

All I did was take measurements of the stock Panasonic battery and then go to Advance Auto parts.

Once there they had a plethora of normal non-vented and vented batteries (remember a lot of BMW and Mercedes and even the Miata have vented non-under the hood batteries). I chose one of the vented batteries and its dimensions were IDENTICAL to the stock Panasonic.

I ended spending about $160 for the battery and all I had to do was swap the location of the plastic nipple from the right to the left side.

If you guys want a picture for the exact battery I have, I can supply one later.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Bosch/AC Delco make an AGM battery that fits well for about $50 less than the Amazon Optima. Local is usually the way to go due to shipping. I got my Optima locally for ~$170

Quick Reply: Evo X - Battery Replacement