Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Forced Performance HTA71 repair

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Forced Performance HTA71 repair

I'll just get right in to it because I have had the best experience with FP recently.

I bought my HTA71 on sale a while back (July of 2015) to be exact. I took it out of the box to inspect it when I received it and put it back in the box until I got my engine built. Fast forward to November of last year, I got my engine build underway. In January of this year I got the turbo on the car but I could never get over 13psi out of it.

I made a thread on here to document my build and to express any troubles I may be having a long the way. It was suggested that I: take the exhaust off to see if there was a blockage, bypass the intercooler to see if that was blocked, check to make sure the wastegate was shutting so I wired it shut with chicken wire, I blocked off the BOV port to make sure that wasn't leaking, I performed multiple boost leak tests to make sure my piping had 0 leaks, I have swapped the hotside even and nothing I did made any difference at all.

I called FP and they said to send the turbo in to them so they could have a look. Then I couldn't find my invoice (it's only been almost 2 years) so I called and Amber was kind enough to get into their old system and look for my paperwork and forward it to me, no questions asked. She is super nice and a genuine pleasure to deal with!

Tuesday I got that boxed up and shipped out ground to McKinney, Tx. They received it this morning (Thursday) and about 2 hours after I got the delivered confirmation FP was already calling me to tell me they had found the issue and had the turbo ready to ship back!!! Talk about service! That is insanely fast. I have worked in a customer service department and a few hours turn around for something like this just blows me away.

The issue ended up being (since I know everyone wants to know the problem) was a standard rotation wheel was placed into the reverse rotation housing for the Evo. Brian was even confused how I had gotten 13 psi out of this thing being so mismatched. For my trouble they are going to send me a Race Manifold and a free t-shirt (which I will rock forever).

I can't say enough good things about this company. When I inevitably want to upgrade, I will definitely be giving them a call!

*edit*
I received the turbo today, looks great, got my shirt, manifold, wga, and they even through in all new gaskets, seals, and copper washers too. I don't even have words. Awesome company!!

Last edited by cerevo; Apr 24, 2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 05:34 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
They are good peeps. I've bought a couple turbo from them. So far, so good. And Amber is always helpful.
Old May 16, 2017, 05:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're a great company, I've dealt with them for a decade always a good experience. I also just bought a 71HTA this morning for my new to me 05 GSR SSL that I'm just in love with coming out of a DSM. It's been worth the wait to get into an evo 8, I'm in love lol
Old May 16, 2017, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Glad you found your problem. Car should rip now. I have a 71hta and FP manifold combo and it's awesome. I too have a FP shirt and it's very comfortable

Enjoy the car
Old May 16, 2017, 10:02 AM
kaj

You guys are making me want to go back to a 71 LOL
Old May 16, 2017, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Or have them make you an FP54 Green https://shop.boostinperformance.com/...green-evo9.htm
Old May 16, 2017, 01:19 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by nemsin
Or have them make you an FP54 Green https://shop.boostinperformance.com/...green-evo9.htm
If you are replying to my post, I have a Green. I just miss the HTA71, is all.
Old May 16, 2017, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
you guys are making me want to go back to a 71 lol
do it
Old May 16, 2017, 05:17 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by e_kobz
do it
Seeing how I may not be doing many track days over the next two years, I kinda have an eye out LOL. The Green is more suitable for track duty, though... and I can't sell it because finding an MHI Green in two years? Forgetaboutit

I'd like to buy another 71 and use it until I'm ready to get back on the track.
Old May 16, 2017, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
That's awesome. Says a lot about them
Old May 23, 2017, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Good Company, I've been on the fence for the longest time about sending my 9 turbo in to have it turned into a 71.

I'm in Cali and would prefer the non Antisurge cover but Indo to think they offer it anymore.

Is the stock wga ok or do you need the FP one?
Old May 23, 2017, 06:24 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by silverevo05
Good Company, I've been on the fence for the longest time about sending my 9 turbo in to have it turned into a 71.

I'm in Cali and would prefer the non Antisurge cover but Indo to think they offer it anymore.

Is the stock wga ok or do you need the FP one?
You don't have to send it in, there's no machining. Just order the CHRA, swap it, boom. So cheap and easy, I.dunno why everyone doesn't do it.
Old May 23, 2017, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
You don't have to send it in, there's no machining. Just order the CHRA, swap it, boom. So cheap and easy, I.dunno why everyone doesn't do it.
Best 3 hours you can spend on a Evo 8/9
Old May 24, 2017, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by e_kobz
Best 3 hours you can spend on a Evo 8/9
well, except when you do it 3 or 4 times in a week.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
So do you guys run the OE WG or he FP one?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Forced Performance HTA71 repair