Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cannot Find a OEM Evo 7 front bumper and hood

Old May 26, 2017, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cannot Find a OEM Evo 7 front bumper and hood

Looking to buy a Evo 7 front bumper and hood. I cannot source one here in Texas, do I need to import one? If so, where do I go for that? I'd also like to get a nice looking lip for the bumper as well.
Old May 26, 2017, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
I could help you source them, but there is really no cheap/quick way to get them. If you consistently scour the shops that import front clips you might get lucky (but not likely to find the color you want). So the only reliable way is to source them from dismantled cars in Japan, and then ship them freight (read 8-10 weeks). Expect to pay $1-2K shipped, depending on condition.

I have personally done the conversion twice.

P.S. You will also need a LHD evo 7 hood latch, which you can buy from the EU.
The following users liked this post:
derekEVOviii (May 26, 2017)
Old May 26, 2017, 10:30 PM

I'm not worried about quick, however I'd like to save money where I can. (like most everyone) Is there any aftermarket replica front ends I can get here in the US? Are you a distributor or do you just know how to get what I'm looking for?
Old May 27, 2017, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

A few companies make carbon evo 7 style hoods, but I do not know of any aftermarket evo 7 style front bumpers.

You can either try to find the items already in the US (rarely for sale). Work with a company that imports parts/front clip and have them source them for you. Or import them yourself (you need a foreign seller that is willing to ship them to the US).

The cheapest would be to find a pair in the US and go pick them up. Barring that, you are looking at shipping 2 LARGE items, from somewhere around the globe to your house. That coupled with a service fee for whoever is sourcing the parts/arranging shipping is going to cost some dinero.

I know how to do it because I have done it. If you are patient, they will pop up on ebay from time to time (usually as a company that imports front clips). But you could be waiting a while. Far easier to source them in Japan.

The OEM Evo 7 undertray is also really nice. Much better than the 8/9 trays.

Last edited by nemsin; May 27, 2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:36 PM

Ok I kinda figured all that. I'm guessing that these parts come in used condition but are still useable right? Do you have a website? What happens if something comes in damaged?
Old May 27, 2017, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

I am just an enthusiast, not a business. I only offered to help because I have done it before and know the drill. I do have a good itrader and ebay rating though. As far as damage during shipping, you could either refuse delivery (like if it got crunched - very rare) or do a paypal dispute.

Shipping usually goes: Japan seller -> business importing parts via a cargo container -> container gets unloaded in US -> items get shipped via freight handler to buyer.

Ideally, you live near a large sea port and can work with a local business to collect the items from their shop. Something like these guys https://www.alnjdmautomotors.com/

Last edited by nemsin; May 27, 2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:06 AM

Well thanks for all your input, I will keep all this in mind while I am looking for all these parts. I wasn't really aware of the process. Maybe I will get lucky and find some that are already state side.
Old May 28, 2017, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There's a guy in the Chicago area who use to bring some in, he's on the Strictly Modified Evo group on Facebook. Not sure if he still has a line on anything, but he's who I got my hood from. Nemsin is right though, no option really ends up being inexpensive though since you'll be dealing with shipping big parts. Oh, though the parts may become slightly easier to find now because the 7 is import legal into Canada now.
Old May 28, 2017, 08:58 PM

Ok cool. I didn't know they were legal in Canada now.
Old May 28, 2017, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Yep, Canada, unlike the US, has a more sensible 15 year limit on importing cars that were never sold in their market.
Old May 29, 2017, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

We can thank the auto industry lobbyists for that. The 25 year rule exists to protect GM & Ford's profits. Too big to fail
Old May 29, 2017, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Lobbying Legalized bribery strikes again, protecting the few over the many.
Old May 29, 2017, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
We can thank the auto industry lobbyists for that. The 25 year rule exists to protect GM & Ford's profits. Too big to fail

Actually, interestingly enough, Mercedes is the initial reason why you guys have a 25 year import law. They really lead the charge as people were importing their vehicles from Germany for less than they cost in the States.
Old May 29, 2017, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

I remember reading that online too. But considering Mercedes has ~2% market share in the US, who do you really think is influencing policy here.

Hint: Follow the money. https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/cl...0155&year=2016

Also, how about that bailout. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-au...A3T0MR20140430

There is some shady sh*t going on behind closed doors. Not just with the Russians.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:02 AM

Its a shame, all I want it to be able to go and buy a GTR or Supra or Evo of any generation without having to jump thru red tape....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cannot Find a OEM Evo 7 front bumper and hood