Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Super clean, what do you think? Help!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super clean, what do you think? Help!

What do you think about this build for 32k? Is it safe? Is it too expensive? Owner seems to have a lot of integrity...can I pay someone to look it over for some reassurance?

Old Jun 21, 2017, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
He probably blew up his original engine and rebuilt it and now is selling for what you could get a lightly used 2015 without all that done to it? That's a TON of work done to the car, so you better know a shop or trust his build implicitly. (I think that is overkill for a daily and has been in the shop a ton to get all that done)

Come on man, there are a lot of unmolested cheaper EVO's out there. Just be willing to travel and drive it home. That's crazy talk. Hell I'd sell you my 2014 fully loaded MR, never seen snow and only worked on by Kozmic Motorsports for 32k just let me know!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 04:37 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
If you're seriously considering it... Take the car over to Devin and have him look it over.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Call AMS and see if they'll tell you anything about the car.

$32k is much more than any bank will finance and more than any insurance company will pay out.

That said, you'd spend at least that reproducing his build on a stock car so if your mod goals match his efforts and you have the money, go for it.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
32k? Not in this lifetime.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 07:52 AM

What would you pay for it? I had been approved for much more than 32k...more than insurance will pay out as in they won't insure me? I will get the vin and csll ams as well as bring it in...i appreciate it!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 07:52 AM

I would spend 32k on mods and labor alone?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Relentless JAM
I would spend 32k on mods and labor alone?
That car has about 8k in parts and 'work done' to it. The question marks are 'was it done right, is this more power than I need'. Also mods don't technically improve value of a car. That being an 08 it would probably get financed for max 20k-ish? So you would need cash to offset the delta, or additional financing.

Most potential owners would prefer a more stock vehicle that they can modify over time themselves. With this car you're jumping into the deep end and putting a lot of trust on the previous owner and tech that did all the work. Now if you're very knowledgeable about EVO's and are mechanically inclined, maybe that's not a big deal. Might work out well, might not <shrug>

Personally I'd rather have a 8 year newer car (2013-2014) EVO for the same or less price. You also get a revised timing chain (they didn't say if they changed the one on the 08, which they corrected in 2012+ EVO's), and the electronics / stereo and heads up display in your instrument cluster will be the old orange and black and not color LED like the newer ones have.

Good luck with your choices, but I'd keep searching and find something from a non-snow state and drive it back. The more salt you can avoid, especially for an older year car, the better. Heck if you found an evo down in Texas for instance it's just a 1000 mile drive home. That's nothing lol.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
uhhh no way. do a little more research on the forum first.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 08:34 AM

I am not very mechanically inclined when it comes to cars but I can learn...i dont know much avout evos besides they fit my requirements of awd and have a lot of power (if modified) i install and deinstall xray systems in hospitals...i wanted an older model because it has less tech...less EMF...less expensive and less insurance...doesnt quality decrease over time? 😂😂 I don't want the gf drama with modifying my own...she doesn't understand to say the least...im confused about the bank...if the car is let's say 28k...why wouldn't they give me a loan for 28k? They're willing to give me one for 56k to build a cla45 amg...i have 0 money to put down right now
Old Jun 22, 2017, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Relentless JAM
I am not very mechanically inclined when it comes to cars but I can learn...i dont know much avout evos besides they fit my requirements of awd and have a lot of power (if modified) i install and deinstall xray systems in hospitals...i wanted an older model because it has less tech...less EMF...less expensive and less insurance...doesnt quality decrease over time? 😂😂 I don't want the gf drama with modifying my own...she doesn't understand to say the least...im confused about the bank...if the car is let's say 28k...why wouldn't they give me a loan for 28k? They're willing to give me one for 56k to build a cla45 amg...i have 0 money to put down right now
That car, as it sits, is silly power, too much if you haven't had a powerful AWD car and more than what you 'need' honestly.

The bank will only finance what a car is worth. The KBB 'best case' for that car is 22k private sale. You will only get financed for that amount on that car, regardless of modifications. The AMG you cited would allow you to finance for more because it is worth close to what you are trying to buy it for.

I'd search for a lightly modified EVO and work on that. If you intend to drive it in the snow, get an AYC pump relocation kit to move it to your trunk to prevent it from dying due to road salt as most do in time.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:41 AM

I see
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
If you have no money to put down, you certainly can't afford to maintain an MR at that level of modification!

I'd look at a new Focus RS if you want fast, new, and a car payment.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:35 PM

Im currently scouting used evo x's for next year and even i am not even looking at 08s..... 10s barely have my attention depending on miles.. but i dont care if a 08 has 10 miles and a 15k price
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
You can get a new 2015 FE for 32K.

Quick Reply: Super clean, what do you think? Help!