Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Throttle body shaft seals question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Throttle body shaft seals question

So how hard is it to change these buggers out just did a boost leak and I only had 2 but this one leaks pretty good should they not leak at all or do the leak a little if I push on the cable by the throttle body it pretty much stops 100% and my hole system holds pressure...

From the looks of the guide it doesn't look to bad I mean I've done cams and stuff like that it can't be much harder then the cam and timing belt job...

I was going to order the works seals unless there's better ones also what I can't find is should they not leak at all or do the bleed some normally ?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:25 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
its not too bad, you will want to drain the coolant though before you remove the throttle body. After i did mine, they did not leak at all under 30psi test pressure. While you are at it you should probably replace the BISS screw O-ring and the o-ring on the IAC warm up flapper.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
I just did mine, somehow they are leaking again, I did not however need to drain my coolant, a little bit spills out but not enough for me to drain the system. I am debating now if I should give it another go or leave it alone for now. Its easy enough, hardest part for me was finding small enough spring clip pliers. Ill tell you this, make sure to get HIGH PRESSURE SEALS from STM or mil spec. I replaced with OEM and I think that was my problem
Old Jun 24, 2017, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

I work I a machine shop so tools are of no issue lol are the stm or milspec better then the works ones can't get a definite answer on that

Last edited by Evo_Goodness; Jun 24, 2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

not sure, all are better than OEM though
Old Jun 24, 2017, 08:11 PM

I've had works on mine for like 3 years now with no leaks. I have a set from STM on standby but haven't needed em yet.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I've had the mil.spec ones on the VIII for about 7 years now so they do hold up.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys i ordered a set of the works seals and the throttle body gasket...
On the throttle body gasket is that all that is needed or do you add any other gasket goop to it i also went on ahead and ordered the new BISS and o ring since ill be in there
Old Jun 25, 2017, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Goodness
Thanks guys i ordered a set of the works seals and the throttle body gasket...
On the throttle body gasket is that all that is needed or do you add any other gasket goop to it i also went on ahead and ordered the new BISS and o ring since ill be in there
When I took mine off I didn't see any goop. I put it back without any and seemed to be good.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get some throttle body shaft seals that's probably what's leaking along with with a biss screw o ring. You can get everything from extreme psi great price fast shipping.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
When I took mine off I didn't see any goop. I put it back without any and seemed to be good.
Sweet thanks for the reply man just wanted to make sure I got everything for this weekend going to get her done this Saturday
Old Jun 25, 2017, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dsm8989
Get some throttle body shaft seals that's probably what's leaking along with with a biss screw o ring. You can get everything from extreme psi great price fast shipping.
lol I know that's the problem if I move the tb at all where the spring is the leak stops 100% and I did order the seals and new biss screw with o ring
Old Jun 26, 2017, 07:35 AM

don't forget the warm up flapper o-ring. I see you have an 04 so you should have one of these too. When i replaced mine the o-ring had cracked into pieces and it was spewing air.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...per-valve.html

as far as finding an oem one...i dunno i just had a large set of different size o-rings that i got from one of the generic auto parts stores and found one in there that fit.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
don't forget the warm up flapper o-ring. I see you have an 04 so you should have one of these too. When i replaced mine the o-ring had cracked into pieces and it was spewing air.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...per-valve.html

as far as finding an oem one...i dunno i just had a large set of different size o-rings that i got from one of the generic auto parts stores and found one in there that fit.

Oh sweet man ya I have an ace hardware like 2 miles from me and They have a wall with about 500 different o-rings and sizes so I'm sure they will have it if I don't already
Old Jun 26, 2017, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Goodness
Sweet thanks for the reply man just wanted to make sure I got everything for this weekend going to get her done this Saturday
make sure you have some dielectric and blue toctite too!

Quick Reply: Throttle body shaft seals question